anyone know anything about garage door and gate openers?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
do they all operate on the same frequency? i have a programmable garage door opener in my car, and i'd like it to open the gate as well. popping open a gate opener i see no way to program the information, so i am assuming the frequency information is printed on the back in code.

thx

edit:
i have an opener from a garage door with those dip switches in it to program it. i have two buttons programmed for my parents' house. one button is left free. i want it to open the gate to my apartment. but the apartment remote has no dip switches in it to copy. so i guess what i really want to know is how to figure out the codes on the back of the apartment remote so i can get my $100 deposit on it back. and have one less thing hanging from my visor.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
There is usually a preset frequency and possibly an internal 8 item dip switch inside .

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
do they all operate on the same frequency? i have a programmable garage door opener in my car, and i'd like it to open the gate as well. popping open a gate opener i see no way to program the information, so i am assuming the frequency information is printed on the back in code.

thx

In my car you simply train the transmitter by zapping it with the garage door remote, thereby teaching it the right frequency. Maybe it's the same in your car? I dunno.

njmodi

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2001
Now I understand the question... its called Homelink. I am assuming your car and garage door opener are both using the newer rolling code system. The instructions on how to program the in-car buttons should be in the owner's manual for the car. If you don't have one, here are some instructions that I found on line for Hyundai: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/Owners/Owner_Magazine/05Spring/article_1.asp

I would imagine that other cars would follow a very similar procedure.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
no no... i have an opener from a garage door with those dip switches in it to program it. i have two buttons programmed for my parents' house. one button is left free. i want it to open the gate to my apartment. but the apartment remote has no dip switches in it to copy. so i guess what i really want to know is how to figure out the codes on the back of the apartment remote so i can get my $100 deposit on it back. and have one less thing hanging from my visor.

sorry that wasn't clearer earlier

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
On newer systems a hopping/rolling code is used to keep someone from being able to just incercept the radio transmission.

There was a feature in Scientific American about this a few months ago but you can't read it online (for free).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i doubt the gate on the apartment complex has any security. and i know my garage door opener doesn't.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Mine's called Garage Genie. I say "Open Salami!" and the garage door would open.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
no no... i have an opener from a garage door with those dip switches in it to program it. i have two buttons programmed for my parents' house. one button is left free. i want it to open the gate to my apartment. but the apartment remote has no dip switches in it to copy. so i guess what i really want to know is how to figure out the codes on the back of the apartment remote so i can get my $100 deposit on it back. and have one less thing hanging from my visor.

sorry that wasn't clearer earlier

newer systems won't work by just changing the dip switches.