Anyone know a Linux distro that would work with a Linksys WPC11 laptop wifi Card?

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Doesn't realy matter which one you choose. They all use roundabout the same kernel. Some are easier to configure then others, but that is about it. The newer the distro the more hardware it supports, generally.

This card uses the Prism2 chipset and is a 802.11b device, correct?

I am not to familar with these things, having never owned one... but it should be supported by the Linux-wlan-ng drivers. They should be provided by your distro in one manner or another.

If you do not know which one to choose.. choose Ubuntu. Be sure to read the documentation aviable on their website.. it's is very valuable, especially the FAQ. Ubuntu is different from Windows and has a very different way of handling drivers and installing software.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
any distro... you just need the madwifi package installed. You probably want Fedora or Ubuntu, you can install the madwifi package through yum or apt-get, respectively.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Depends on which version it is. I have one of them that's v3 and it's Prism2 so it works out of the box just fine by the orinoco driver, no external drivers or firmware required. But IIRC Linksys liked to change chipsets without changing the card names so yours might be different.

Mr Smiley

Oct 12, 2004
I have the same card. Its worked with everything iv thrown at it so its a matter of which distro you like. I like to use it with Auditor. Its based off of Knoppix and is live disk only but i think there is a way to install. Its got every wireless app you will ever want plus a lot of other security tools. Works great, you should give it a try:);)

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Nothinman
Depends on which version it is. I have one of them that's v3 and it's Prism2 so it works out of the box just fine by the orinoco driver, no external drivers or firmware required. But IIRC Linksys liked to change chipsets without changing the card names so yours might be different.

My bad, I thought all the WPC11's used the madwifi drivers... I'm pretty sure the older WPC11 versions do anyway.