Anyone interested in 100 uranium marbles?

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
It looks pretty cool..but would it kill my lil' boys if i put them inside my pants' pockets? ;)

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
That's kind of cool, I wonder if I can refine enough marbles to get a pound of U235 to make a nuke. :Q

It'd be fun to have one, but I have no idea where I'd keep it.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Folks these have VERY MINUTE amounts of activity. An old radium dial watch is much hotter!

The green pix are taken showing fluorescence in the presence of longwave (UV-A) light.

These marbles have a urine yellow color to them in daylight. Quite boring!

-DAK-

IamElectro

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2003
I have seen these before its uranium glass. They used to use uranium to color glass orange. My home town had dozens of glass furnaces years ago. These are not that uncommon. They are kind of ripping on the price because just about any piece of glasss made into the 40's that is orange will have some small amout of uranium used to obtain the color.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Old glow in the dark clocks had more in them. Actually, even smoke detectors have radioactive material in them.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: shuttleteam
Folks these have VERY MINUTE amounts of activity. An old radium dial watch is much hotter!

The green pix are taken showing fluorescence in the presence of longwave (UV-A) light.

These marbles have a urine yellow color to them in daylight. Quite boring!

-DAK-

My dad's chemistry professor had oneof those. He could put it against a geiger counter and set it off.

rpberry123

Jul 22, 2003
Originally posted by: marvie
It looks pretty cool..but would it kill my lil' boys if i put them inside my pants' pockets? ;)

no, but they would probably breed mutants later in life being that close to their 'nads.....
rolleye.gif

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
That's not the source from a smoke detector. Those are comprised of 1 microcurie of Americium-241. They are a strong alpha emitter and are only hazardous (briefly) if ingested. (typical 48 hour chocolate tunnel trip)

If you really seek hot materials, try to get samples of uranophane or uraninite crystals. I have one cluster that gives off over 165,000 counts/minute and most of that is gamma! :Q

-DAK-