Anyone here worked for cisco - High Touch Operations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
Just trying to find out a little more about this position. I am an applicant for it based in RTP, and did get a call back. Since i am still in School (graduate in december) I have to wait a little before i can get an interview.

Has anyone worked at Cisco, especially in the HTOM area ? Any advices or information on how the position is, if you liked it or not, Salary expectation etc.

Thanks !

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Great company to advance your career....to a certain point.

You will hit a ceiling and they DON'T allow you to advance by switching depts. to a higher job title. You'll have to leave to get that next promotion.

The good thing is that the Cisco name carries A LOT of weight (as they choose from the best) so you should get that promotion somewhere else.

Another thing you should know is that they compensate very well (top 10% in this high paying industry) but that nice chunk comes in the form of a bonus that is not guaranteed. You'll always be nervously awaiting for that semi-year big bonus (+/- 25% per year)....which depends on your bosses/peer fair/unfair mandatory overly detailed review.

Hours are workaholic (60-80+, especially in programming) but they train the shit out of you with classes so you'll be good to go with a firm base if/when you decide to jump ship (i.e. you'll be very competitive in skills).

Vacation is 4 weeks/year which is TOPS in any industry.

IF you don't care about promotions after making good bank, you can transfer to different offices around the world and if you get fired in one of their famous "reorgs", you usually rather easily get another job in another Cisco dept in the same city. RTP is a huge area for them. If not RTP, then San Jose, etc.

They have prejudice over older workers, so if you hit 50, they can manage you out. Many left at 50 and took a rather meaty six figure package offering about a year ago.

Bottom line: A great company to get a 10 year start before moving on if you so choose.
<------ Never worked at Cisco but have close friends that do.

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
Great company to advance your career....to a certain point.

You will hit a ceiling and they DON'T allow you to advance by switching depts. to a higher job title. You'll have to leave to get that next promotion.

The good thing is that the Cisco name carries A LOT of weight (as they choose from the best) so you should get that promotion somewhere else.

Another thing you should know is that they compensate very well (top 10% in this high paying industry) but that nice chunk comes in the form of a bonus that is not guaranteed. You'll always be nervously awaiting for that semi-year big bonus (+/- 25% per year)....which depends on your bosses/peer fair/unfair mandatory overly detailed review.

Hours are workaholic (60-80+, especially in programming) but they train the shit out of you with classes so you'll be good to go with a firm base if/when you decide to jump ship (i.e. you'll be very competitive in skills).

Vacation is 4 weeks/year which is TOPS in any industry.

IF you don't care about promotions after making good bank, you can transfer to different offices around the world and if you get fired in one of their famous "reorgs", you usually rather easily get another job in another Cisco dept in the same city. RTP is a huge area for them. If not RTP, then San Jose, etc.

They have prejudice over older workers, so if you hit 50, they can manage you out. Many left at 50 and took a rather meaty six figure package offering about a year ago.

Bottom line: A great company to get a 10 year start before moving on if you so choose.
<------ Never worked at Cisco but have close friends that do.

Great info ! I was contacted by the recruiter for a position that starts now, but i cant due to school. I think that position will re-open around December/January. That is when i am trying to obtain a interview. I am really focused and geared for the RTP area, and Cisco.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Great info ! I was contacted by the recruiter for a position that starts now, but i cant due to school. I think that position will re-open around December/January. That is when i am trying to obtain a interview. I am really focused and geared for the RTP area, and Cisco.

if you are in school you might be able to get into their CALO co-op program. full time thing, not sure about compensation though, but they expect you to be certified pretty quickly. they are looking for students for this regularly, maybe the recruiter can help?

as for the RTP area...i have some friends who live/work up there and they love it. really good location.

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
if you are in school you might be able to get into their CALO co-op program. full time thing, not sure about compensation though, but they expect you to be certified pretty quickly. they are looking for students for this regularly, maybe the recruiter can help?

as for the RTP area...i have some friends who live/work up there and they love it. really good location.

Yeah, i have heard about the CALO program as well, but i haven't found any positions for that. Alot of them told me to go for HTOM due to the fact that i have experience. The HTOM program seems like a good fit for me though, so really trying my best to go into it.

I assume you are from the Raleigh area too ? I am from Charlotte. RTP is a decent area that is not far from home, and on top of that alot of my friends go to NC State.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Yeah, i have heard about the CALO program as well, but i haven't found any positions for that. Alot of them told me to go for HTOM due to the fact that i have experience. The HTOM program seems like a good fit for me though, so really trying my best to go into it.

I assume you are from the Raleigh area too ? I am from Charlotte. RTP is a decent area that is not far from home, and on top of that alot of my friends go to NC State.

im not from there, im from eastern nc and have some friends and family that live up in and around raleigh and they love it, and i love visiting them and would be happy to have a job and a place in the area.

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
im not from there, im from eastern nc and have some friends and family that live up in and around raleigh and they love it, and i love visiting them and would be happy to have a job and a place in the area.

Thats cool, So like near wilmington-ish ?

Dec 26, 2007
I have a good friend who worked at RTP doing ASA programming for a few years. He liked it at first. They paid him very well for being right out of school, but he is also one of the most intelligent people I know. He worked there for a few years, but realized that ceiling that was already mentioned would not let him progress a whole lot further than where he was at. So he left and now works for another company in RTP and got a pretty good package from them, in part due to the Cisco experience.

If you get an offer from them, take it. It wouldn't be the end all place for a career, however it's a very strong foundation to build upon.

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
I have a good friend who worked at RTP doing ASA programming for a few years. He liked it at first. They paid him very well for being right out of school, but he is also one of the most intelligent people I know. He worked there for a few years, but realized that ceiling that was already mentioned would not let him progress a whole lot further than where he was at. So he left and now works for another company in RTP and got a pretty good package from them, in part due to the Cisco experience.

If you get an offer from them, take it. It wouldn't be the end all place for a career, however it's a very strong foundation to build upon.

I am hoping for a interview, and am confident i would do well. Its a great company from what i have heard, and the cisco experience is equivalent to having experience at Microsoft, Google etc. iA

Status
Not open for further replies.