Anyone here use Century Link?

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
So I've been a Comcast subscriber for several years now, but here in the past couple of months, I've been having connection issues where either my internet is really slow or is just not working at all. Back in September, I bought a new Motorola SB5150 (DOCSIS 3 Compliant) and When I started having problems with my internet in December, I called both Comcast and Motorola and they both insisted that my problem was with the other.... :rolleyes:

Of course nobody wants to admit to a product or service failure, but I've been using Motorola Modems for years, and I can't say that I've ever had cable modems fail on me. But I can say that I've had plenty of connection issues in the past with Comcast and Adelphia.

Comcast is only one of two broadband options available in my area so they don't have much incentive to provide good service and be competitive.

So I'm strongly considering Century Link DSL as an alternative. I generally would like to have connections speeds at about 10mbps.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
If you don't care about upload speeds, CenturyLink will work great. I've been on Qwest/CenturyLink for about 7 years and service has been good. The only complaint I have was several minute outage I had a few months ago, in the middle of the night. D:

However, their upload speeds have barely changed in 7 years.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The SB5150 isn't on the Comcast supportd device list:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

What is the 5150 reporting for signal and power level?

if you hit this IP in your browser, you should get your modem's web interface

I would pursue with Comcast first, don't take their bullshit.

Last edited:

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
The SB5150 isn't on the Comcast supportd device list:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

What is the 5150 reporting for signal and power level?

if you hit this IP in your browser, you should get your modem's web interface

I would pursue with Comcast first, don't take their bullshit.
Derp, that was my old modem. My current is SB 6121.

7mI1cjL.jpg

TBH, I'm not that worried about UL speeds. IIRC comcasts are about 750kbps.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What type of problems are you getting? slow speeds? high pings? disconnects?

Do you still have the problems if you remove the router (assuming you're using one) and plug directly into the modem?

Your signal and power levels are very close to mine, I'm using a SB6120

edit: my original speeds with Comcast 4 years ago were 12/2, free upgraded to 16/2, now I upgraded for $10 to 50/5

Last edited:

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
I just switched to Centruylink from Comcast, going from 15mbps with Comcast (frequently achieved 20mbps in download tests) to 12mbps with Centurylink (download test are 11.x mbps.) The change has been a pretty transparent for the way I use the service there has been no difference between the two. I never had connection problems with Comcast, I think I had to reset the modem 3-4 times in 6 years, I only dumped them because I got sick of the prices climbing a few dollars every few months, I didn't mind having the extra speed, but I didn't really need anything faster than 12mbps. I never had to call Comcast tech support, I don't know if they're helpful or not, but for me the service was rock solid so it didn't matter how good or bad customer support is. Years ago I had to call Qwest customer support and it was horrible, if I ever need to contact Centurylink customer service for any reason, I'll be prepared to cancel the service, with any luck I won't need to go down that road though.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
First, rule out the easiest part of the equation. Replace the modem and see if the problem persists.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I switched about 6 months ago from Cox 24/4 to CL 40/5 (Ive got fiber to the curb). Change was dramatic. On Cox I was lucky to get 10 down at any time, and I often got <1 down during peak times. Up I never tested above 2. With CL, I consistently get 39.5 down and 4.5 up with much better ping times than I ever had with Cox. And less $$$ too.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
In my area CL sucks... I think they've oversubscribed the area. Paying for 10Mb/s and barely get 6-7Mb/s and it's laggy most of the time.