Anyone here regularly visit a shrink?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Nocturnal, congratulations on getting the help you need. That takes guts in itself.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Nocturnal
I went to a shrink in the mid 1970's and it saved my marriage.
I'm not ashamed of it at all. Don't let anyone piss in your Wheaties.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

<< Anyone here regularly visit a shrink? >>

I've been exchanging PM's with DessertCart. Does that count?

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

<<

>>

rotflmao !!!

Damm you, coffee everywhere again !!! :D

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

<<

>>

ROFLROLF

definately not.

HAHAHAHH that was funny.

Aug 23, 2000
I've had to see one in the past to get through some serious suicidle depression I was going through.

I have a HUGE penis

yellowplastic

Banned
Mar 1, 2002
If nobody is normal, and everybody is a bit of a fruitcake, then how do shrinks know how to recognize normal people and normal behavior?

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000

<< Anyone here regularly visit a shrink?

ROFLROLF

definately not.

HAHAHAHH that was funny.
>>

But..but..why doesn't it count? He's highly intelligent.

<< If nobody is normal, and everybody is a bit of a fruitcake, then how do shrinks know how to recognize normal people and normal behavior? >>

They learn their trade in school, of course. :p

Jen

Elite Member
Dec 8, 1999
i have in the past visited a physcologist..............cost tho is a problem as i cant afford the 110 dollars a hour he charges

my problems remain..........if not more so

Jen

yellowplastic

Banned
Mar 1, 2002

<<

<< If nobody is normal, and everybody is a bit of a fruitcake, then how do shrinks know how to recognize normal people and normal behavior? >>

They learn their trade in school, of course. :p
>>

You haven't answered the question, you have simply moved it up to another level of abstraction.

The question remains unanswered.

If nobody is normal, and everybody is a bit of a fruitcake, then how do psychology professors know how tto recognize normal people and normal behavior?

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
yellowplastic, I'm no psychologist, so obviously, I'm not equipped to answer that question.

You are now left with a few choices. One would be to do a search on google and see what you come up with.

Or you could always pm DessertCart. ;)

bandXtrb

Banned
May 27, 2001

<< If nobody is normal, and everybody is a bit of a fruitcake, then how do psychology professors know how tto recognize normal people and normal behavior? >>

Okay, somebody is having a panic attack. The person has phisiological symptoms -- sweating, breathing hard, heart beating rapidly, crying, maybe even screaming. These symptoms have no physical cause, but a psychological one, so the person needs psychological treatment. Clearly, panic attacks are not considered normal. People who have panic attacks are different from those who don't. Obviously, it's desireable to not have them, so that's why shrinks exist.

Oct 16, 1999

<< If nobody is normal, and everybody is a bit of a fruitcake, then how do psychology professors know how tto recognize normal people and normal behavior? >>

Dude, they take the traits the majority of people share, combine them, and deem it 'normal behavior.' Everyone deviates from this 'normal behavior' in one way or another. So technically, yes, everyone IS a bit of a 'fruitcake.'

yellowplastic

Banned
Mar 1, 2002

<<

Dude, they take the traits the majority of people share, combine them, and deem it 'normal behavior.' Everyone deviates from this 'normal behavior' in one way or another. So technically, yes, everyone IS a bit of a 'fruitcake.'
>>

This is clearly not the answer.

Most people pick their nose, but that is not normal behavior, it is icky. The proper thing to do is to wash your nose at the lavatory. And so on and so forth.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I have to see one once a week, or thats how it used to be, now it is twice a week because I am a stupid idiot. Usually they ask about how you feel, and how are things going in your life and blah blah blah, then they get on to more serious questions, and help you figure out what is wrong with you or what your problem is.

jobberd

Banned
Mar 30, 2001

They don't, they simply learn to recognize things that contribute to a healthy or unhealthy lifestyle. Nobody is perfect, and nobody is normal.

Oct 16, 1999

<<

<<

>>

Most people pick their nose, but that is not normal behavior, it is icky. The proper thing to do is to wash your nose at the lavatory. And so on and so forth.
>>

This clearly is the answer according the college I attended. I suggest you do the same someday. Psychologists aren't concerned with what's icky or not. They are concerned with norms, and picking your nose IS normal. If you run to the bathroom and 'wash your nose' every time you have a booger, that is NOT normal.

Ly2n

Dec 26, 2001
A question that they used to ask in begining Psyc classes was "if someone was comletely normal, would they be normal". The answer was no. Since no-one is completly normal, that person would be very abnormal. Back to the question asked here, I see a 'shrink' regularly. I suffer from depression and if I didn't see him i wouldn't be here to answer your question. Each person and their shrink vary, so what happens at the session varies. I've had 3 different doctors and the sessions were all different. Lynn

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000

<< now it is twice a week because I am a stupid idiot >>

You are not a stupid idiot. Why would you say that?

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If nobody is normal, and everybody is a bit of a fruitcake, then how do shrinks know how to recognize normal people and normal behavior?

Normalcy is defined as 68% of the population in a sample possessing a certain characteristic or trait. Deviancy is just a difference from normalcy. What is considered pathological is an involuntary AND maladaptive deviancy, essentially all the stuff that causes people to be unsuccessful or get fired or fail in relationships and all that. Psychologists and psychiatrists utilize the DSM-IV published by the APA in diagnosing mental ilness. There are general axes used by the DSM system separated into clinical syndromes (all the good stuff like schizo, anxiety, disassociative, etc), personality disorders (narcissism, dependant/avoidant stuff), physical disorders, severity of psychosocial stressors, and the last fifth one deals with the big picture and is the global assesment.

What is considered normal has really changed over time but the main sort of agreed upon definition is statistical since it is assumed what is normal is what most people are. Of course then you have cooks like me who think most people are nuts, but we won't get into my theories here :). Hope this helps. :)

Cheers ! :)

slewfoot

Feb 28, 2002

>>This world and the people in it can cause a lot of psychological harm.<<

This fact led to counseling for my adopted daughter. She was abused in her home and removed and placed for adoption. It took years of therapy for her

to learn to trust.

Nocturnal, most sessions do last an hour for an out-patient. Anxiety disorders can frequently be treated quickly with medication that is very effective.

Therapy does take a lot of effort , but the results can be amazing.

Jen, many communities have mental health centers that offer reduced rates based on income that you may qualify for.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

This clearly is the answer according the college I attended. I suggest you do the same someday. Psychologists aren't concerned with what's icky or not. They are concerned with norms, and picking your nose IS normal. If you run to the bathroom and 'wash your nose' every time you have a booger, that is NOT normal.
>>

Ok, I've had about enough of all this.

There's two kinds of psych, there's the kind big winded fap,fap boys like you learn in college textbooks and there's the real life kind you learn working in the field actually caring for troubled people.

What is "Normal" you ask ? normal is a relative term that is defined by your peer group . A working definition of normal for clinical staff is is "Can the patient care for himself, is he a danger to self or others" for less ill but still troubled indivuals
the question is "are the patient's symptoms interfering with his/her ability to accomplish their stated goals?"

If I drive a semi for a living it wouldn't seem "normal" to me that anybody would sit in front of a computer all day nefing here, but as a clinical staff, as long as a client is not presenting a danger to himself or others then my job is to help/him or her deal with symptoms that the client has identified as being cause of distress to him even if that includes helping him or her to achieve goals that the therapist doesn't share. (minus of course criminal acts)

Absent gross pychotic break,the client identifies what is "normal" for him/her. With the help of therapy he develops greater insight and clarity into the issues that hamper him in pursuit of the lifestyle he has chosen. This insight, sometimes combined with medication hopefully allows the patient to move forward.

The patient is at all times in the driver's seat, the patient identifies his peer group, and his definition of normal, a good therapist is just someone to help guide him back onto the path he has chosen for himself.

Btw, those fancy 4 yr degree's ? those are good, they'll come in real handy on the unit, we can always use extra flooor mats in the patient shower rooms :)