anyone here order the MSI GTX 970 4GD5T?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
My MSI Gaming 970 is limited to 110% in Afterburner. Is BIOS flashing the only fix?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Send it back and try another. No need to blow $200+ extra on a 980 yet.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Toyota, go for the Gigabyte card. 1329 out of the box, stays cool and quiet at load and has better VRM tempeatutes than MSI Gaming. Otherwise wait until EVGA Classified 980 as it is bound to have more voltage / unlock headroom.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Well at least I am now seeing other people saying their cards are dropping volts and clockspeeds after they OC them. These cards are just too limited in TDP. I was actually hitting speeds of 1560 and 8000 with with bump in voltage but of course it cant come close to maintaining that.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Well at least I am now seeing other people saying their cards are dropping volts and clockspeeds after they OC them. These cards are just too limited in TDP. I was actually hitting speeds of 1560 and 8000 with with bump in voltage but of course it cant come close to maintaining that.

Now you know why I hate these neutered cards. If you let them spread their wings and fly I have it looks like maxwell would soar!! I believe 1700 might not be all the uncommon if you could adjust the voltage and tdp garbage that NV locks down. These cards beg for more voltage since they are artificially restricted too low.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Don't judge by the 110% , its the power target value thats in the bios .

here some info
EVGA 970 PT= 187w max
MSI 970 gaming PT =220w
MSI 980 gaming PT= 241w
Gigabyte 970 G1 PT=280w

So don't go by slider value its what is set in bios .
But yeh, these cards can clock up so best to find sweet spot were your not using much voltage added or not at all .

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Don't judge by the 110% , its the power target value thats in the bios .

here some info
EVGA 970 PT= 187w max
MSI 970 gaming PT =220w
MSI 980 gaming PT= 241w
Gigabyte 970 G1 PT=280w

So don't go by slider value its what is set in bios .
But yeh, these cards can clock up so best to find sweet spot were your not using much voltage added or not at all .
where are you getting that info? do you know the PT for the 4GD5T?

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
where are you getting that info? do you know the PT for the 4GD5T?

I am reading it from bios with KBT 1.27

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

Give me full name or see it it is listed yet in link above .
Edit : ok, this is the non gaming MSI model , I don't see it yet .

I thought you had MSI GTX 970 gaming one . My bad , i don't see any reference 970 there to read bios .

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Now you know why I hate these neutered cards. If you let them spread their wings and fly I have it looks like maxwell would soar!! I believe 1700 might not be all the uncommon if you could adjust the voltage and tdp garbage that NV locks down. These cards beg for more voltage since they are artificially restricted too low.

If Nvidia sanctioned (greenlit) cards that have unlocked voltage control for heavy overclocking (like Intel's K sku's), as much as people would bitch and moan about paying a premium, the cards would likely sell like hotcakes. All for another 100-125mhz speed increase.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
lol if I lower the res in game so I am not pushing my gpu even close to its TDP limit the card is actually perfectly stable at 1584 mhz with voltage bump.

free picture hosting
What I find with cards i have had, it is linked to FPS . meaning for example if I run valley BM with highest setting but with no FSAA it will pull more power then if I run it with FSAA 8x , fps go down here and less power % .

Of course that can only work for BM, you set game to your liking .

PS: I am talking for same res .

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
I've had my eyes on the Gigabyte G1 but couldn't find it anywhere in stock. So I settled for the 4GD5T for $329 at Microcenter. It only has two heatpipes, and it is noticeably lighter than the HD6970 it replaces. There was some residual chemical on the back of the card that left me concerned.

I couldn't get more than 106% on the power limit which is what I think is limiting me. I tried to push 1400MHz on the core, but it wouldn't let me get more than 1300MHz with the card sitting around 65C.

How do you enable MFAA? I am not seeing that option anywhere in the control panel.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Send it back and try another. No need to blow $200+ extra on a 980 yet.

Subyman, do you mind taking some pics of your system? I am amazed with tight PCIe spacing such as on your board you were able to do 2x MSI Gaming open air cooled cards. Normally I prefer to get a mobo with triple slot between the first and the 2nd card to allow the open air to get into the top GPU.

bwat47

Apr 27, 2013
I am going to contact newegg and find another card. this card cannot maintain clocks or voltage at all. its tapped out right out of the box and even stock clocks have to throttle quite a bit under full load. if I lower the resolution it will go to 1.225 but if I raise the resolution voltage drops way off and it seems to be constantly adjusting itself to not exceed the low TDP.

Not having that problem at all here (at stock clocks, Haven't tried OCing it yet). Mine actually boosts higher than the rated boost clock, and seems to maintain it as long as I'm gaming (boosts to 1304 instead of the stated 1241).

I haven't seen any issues with it throttling under load.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Not having that problem at all here (at stock clocks, Haven't tried OCing it yet). Mine actually boosts higher than the rated boost clock, and seems to maintain it as long as I'm gaming (boosts to 1304 instead of the stated 1241).

I haven't seen any issues with it throttling under load.
every Nvidia cards boosts over its rated boost clock. I really doubt yours goes to 1304 and stays there under heavy load though. the 4GD5T is already hitting TDP out of the box so its not possible to maintain those kinds of clocks in the really demanding cases.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I bet his ASIC score is above 85% to boost that high. I had a very high boosting Gigabyte GTX 780 that boosted higher than the GHZ edition model that had higher clocks. I believe it was because my ASIC score was 85% and had one of the highest out of the box boost bins. My 980 here, I am not so lucky. 65.8% ASIC score and bounces between 1227-1240mhz unless I raise the power limit. Also, I have a little bit of coil whine too.

Last edited:

NomanA

May 15, 2014
I purchased this card in the initial days of release from TigerDirect, and it has been awesome. I have it running 2560x1440 @108 Hz. At stock voltages, I have bumped up the power limit to 106% and GPU clock by 170MHz. So the boost clock should be ~1415Mhz. It goes to 1450-1460Mhz. Heaven at 25460x1440 (extreme and 2xaa) scores more than 1200, and Firestrike is at ~10400.

Going past 170+ MHz core clock, I see some sparkles and artifacts in TombRaider built-in benchmark, which go away, if I bump up the voltage a little bit. And graphic test 2 in Firestrike shows some color flashes in one tiny part of the demo. All other tests are completely stable and artifact free, even near 200MHz+ increases.

I have tested it close to 1500MHz and it held up but only with bit more of voltage increase. I'd much rather have it run at 1410-1460MHz consistently on stock setting, where the temperature normally hovers in 66-74C range depending on the application.

The card's cooler is built up decently, and is pretty much silent even under load. The only time I get coil whine is when I run refresh-rate multi-tool test (which is a way to validate high refresh rates on overclocked monitors).

It's just a great card - perhaps the best $330 non-blower 970s out there. I got it for less (using a TD coupon).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I get higher scores than that even with my card throttling which means you have to be throttling too.

NomanA

May 15, 2014
Isn't your overclock higher though? Even with throttling the average clock on your board may still be higher than that on mine. Besides, the benchmark rates depend on few other factors too.

When I look at the past few samples, I always see clock in excess of 1410-1420MHz. May be I should collect it over the entire length of the test and plot it.

In any case, heavily throttling or not, it still gives me great performance, and the benchmark scores and frame-rates in games are comparable to the results I have read in other forum posts and reviews.