Anyone here live in San Diego?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I will be in San Diego next week on business, from 11/28 through 12/2.

Any recommendations for good restaurants? I would really love some kick-ass Mexican while I am down there.

Thanks.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I'll be moving down there in about 2-3 months.
I ate at a place called Casa De Pico when I was down there for an interview. Good food and not to badly priced. Was located near Grossmont Center.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Acapulco in old town, all you can eat Sunday brunch, Tio Leos on mission gorge rd.
However, some of the best, most authentic mexican food,(and prices), is found at small, mom&pop diners near downtown, or south Diego.
<----50 yrs. in San Diego, but moved when it was annexed by Mexico.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
i second casa de pico. it used to be in old town but the people who owned the land sold their soul to a major vendor and now some crappy restaurant is in its place. so its in grossmont now, its a bit of a drive but well worth it. have fun in san diego, and if you have any questions feel free to ask as a few residents like myself frequent these boards.

jarfykk

Mar 29, 2001
One of my favorite places to eat in SD is Ortega's in the Hillcrest area. It is on the corner of University and Third. Been going there for quite a while (since they opened a few years ago) and the place has doubled in size but the food is still great. Get the flan/pineapple dessert. Favorite entree is the banana-crusted huachinango.

Also good is Donovan's (steakhouse) in La Jolla/UTC area, though it is quite pricey.

Past that, pretty much any of the hole-in-the-wall places are good.

If you post what area you're staying/meeting at, I can give you a bit more relevant info.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I loved Mama Tiesta's taco shop while I was there. There's a reasonably good place on Prospect in La Jolla that I enjoyed. I"d head to La Jolla no matter what; it's a really beautiful area.