Anyone here have experience with Hustler mowers?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I'm thinking about buying a Hustler Raptor SDX 54inch ztr mower but I'm
hesitant because of the lack of reviews out there with the brand/line.
Does any own/use Hustlers and if you do how long have you had it and how
well do you like it?

Right now it's a toss up between the Hustler and the Toro TimeCutter HD
54inch(75202)
but the Toro is around $700 more.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of the Hustler if you could. I
would appreciate it.

jtworldwide3

Feb 15, 2006
That Toro is quite a bit more machine, better hydros, heavier deck, larger fuel tank, bigger rear tires.

How much is the hustler?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I see Hustlers around quite a bit, mostly used by commercial companies.

In all honesty, I'd take all the "downgrades" on the Hustler to get the Kawasaki engine vs. the Chinese sourced Toro-branded engine.

The deck is 1 ga. thinner on the Hustler, but still quite stout and has 7 ga. mount plates at the spindles.

What I'd be most interested in is the ease of dropping the deck, changing blades and belts. Some ZTR's are darned near impossible for the consumer to accomplish those basic tasks. Shouldn't have to take the darned thing to a dealer to change a belt or blade.

But the Kawa motor more than makes up for any other shortcomings on that Hustler, imho.

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
I have a 2014 Raptor SD 54" cut. It's been a pretty good mower considering the abuse I put it through.

I've some issues with it like the clutch mechanism for the mower belt rattling. The side discharge clogs easily. When the mower bogs down some times the center blade doesn't cut that well leaving some uncut spots. Worse though, I broke a cross member that connected the two hydros. The dealer I bought it from fixed the cross member no questions asked, but I was still in warranty.