Anyone here have a Onewheel?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
So growing up in the 80's I tried skating and was absolutely shit at it. I couldn't roller skate, 4 wheeled or rollerblades. WhileI never tried surfing, skiing or snowboarding, I'm sure I'd fail big time. So naturally, I learned nothing and my brain's telling me to get a Onewheel! I watched a few YT videos of people who've never skated and bought one and after a few weeks they end up being able to shred all over the place. But none said they lacked core stability and weren't all that coordinated. I also see comments saying it "only" takes 200 or so miles to develop the motor skills to where you can ride comfortably without thinking about it. Which sounds like an awful damn long time. I'm wondering how effective the self-balance mumbo jumbo really is for someone like me. Most of the owners seem to be a cult following with how much they love the shit so asking them would be pretty pointless. I also see what would appear to be a lot of "you'll crash for sure" stories. Which isn't too different from the "sooner or later you'll eat it good!" from the electric scooter I bought. But a lot of these Onewheelers seem to have a crash story that involves getting pretty seriously maimed and breaking multiple bones.

Now I'm going to ignore how stupidly over the top anti consumer the company behind it is. The company's practices SUCK big time. But these shits look fun, if I ignore they're pretty dangerous, and are probably a horrible choice for a 47 year old who capped out at riding a bike. But they look like a blast to zip around on. I Googled and read stories, but I don't any of thosepeople. At least here I'm familiar with the regulars so maybe somebody has one can give me their opinion on how shitty and stupid of an idea this is. Or tell me it's a poor idea but they're so much fun a potential broken ankle would be worth it. I was interested in the GT, but it's 4 - 6 before they ship. And even with my lack of control for buying shit, $2,400+ for a device that I might hate seems ludicrous. The Pint X is still super expensive. But the regular Pint has like a 7 mile range. Not that the range should factor in as I'm guessing I might not be able to ride it for more than a block, ever lol.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I see them here pretty regularly. I don't know if it's locals or tourists zipping them around, but they look like fun.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I have some friends with them and they love them, however they are easy to eff yourself up pretty good on - maybe not to the extent of an electric bike or scooter that can go much faster, but you can definitely get some good road rash.

My friend's kids who are like 8 and 12 got very handy on them right away, enough to scoot around pretty good.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have some friends with them and they love them, however they are easy to eff yourself up pretty good on - maybe not to the extent of an electric bike or scooter that can go much faster, but you can definitely get some good road rash.

My friend's kids who are like 8 and 12 got very handy on them right away, enough to scoot around pretty good.

When I was a kid I would have been all over these dangerous or not.... now broken bones take a lot longer to heal!

Reactions: highland145

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I see quite a few of them around here, it's pretty urban and they zip around. Not sure what brand.

Someone I met on a meet up group bike ride, her friend died on one of those. Supposedly he was a reckless fast dude and he was flying on it probably on a hill and the governor kicked in and launched him, and he flew off it, hit his head and went to a coma.

Some of the guys I see around here zipping around and them have essentially what are motorcycle helmets on.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I did see one person in town on one of these a while back, while it was dark, at a stoplight with other traffic. He was wearing a helmet, and the thing did have the front/rear lights that would seem to be necessary to take it on a road.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think my brother has a Unicycle that he sometimes used to ride around on and juggle. But, now he just rides a motorcycle.

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I did more reading on the negatives and I'm pretty sure I would lose a limb or something. And even if I didn't break off a limb, there's apparently a very random issue where when you dismount they drive away full speed on autopilot. A 22lb wheel going 18mph could lead to a lawsuit if it hit a kid or something. And with my luck that would happen. Or, the self-balancing would work flawlessly and it would keep going straight for 1/2 a mile where somebody would end up finding it and stealing it before I could catch up to it lol.

These are potentially dangerous for super experienced long-term riders of skateboards and shit, so it would probably be a onewheel death trap for me.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Looks like a fun way to take a serious dirt nap. I'd still try it though. :p But not sure if I'd buy one. I don't like that the top of the wheel is exposed it seems it would be easy to accidentally set your foot on it while it's going fast.

If wanting a similar toy I'd go with a hoverboard or scooter as I feel you'd get better control. Even hoverboards can be a little sketch at high speed but they're not too bad for slower speed. When I repaired my nephew's I did take it out for a quick test drive to make sure it was working ok. I also tried it inside the house, and do not recommend that. Actually it was ok for basic testing just could not really bring it up to speed with limited space.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
They are based out of Santa Cruz and you see them all over on the coastal boardwalks of California.
There are quite a few modifications that can be made to make them easier/safer to ride.

You cant rent them: https://friendwitha.com/rentals/onewheel/

The unicycles are absurd - 33mph and I see these zipping along at quite the speed with riders sitting down.

Hiram Maxim

Aug 10, 2023
So growing up in the 80's I tried skating and was absolutely shit at it. I couldn't roller skate, 4 wheeled or rollerblades. WhileI never tried surfing, skiing or snowboarding, I'm sure I'd fail big time. So naturally, I learned nothing and my brain's telling me to get a Onewheel! I watched a few YT videos of people who've never skated and bought one and after a few weeks they end up being able to shred all over the place. But none said they lacked core stability and weren't all that coordinated. I also see comments saying it "only" takes 200 or so miles to develop the motor skills to where you can ride comfortably without thinking about it. Which sounds like an awful damn long time. I'm wondering how effective the self-balance mumbo jumbo really is for someone like me. Most of the owners seem to be a cult following with how much they love the shit so asking them would be pretty pointless. I also see what would appear to be a lot of "you'll crash for sure" stories. Which isn't too different from the "sooner or later you'll eat it good!" from the electric scooter I bought. But a lot of these Onewheelers seem to have a crash story that involves getting pretty seriously maimed and breaking multiple bones.

Now I'm going to ignore how stupidly over the top anti consumer the company behind it is. The company's practices SUCK big time. But these shits look fun, if I ignore they're pretty dangerous, and are probably a horrible choice for a 47 year old who capped out at riding a bike. But they look like a blast to zip around on. I Googled and read stories, but I don't any of thosepeople. At least here I'm familiar with the regulars so maybe somebody has one can give me their opinion on how shitty and stupid of an idea this is. Or tell me it's a poor idea but they're so much fun a potential broken ankle would be worth it. I was interested in the GT, but it's 4 - 6 before they ship. And even with my lack of control for buying shit, $2,400+ for a device that I might hate seems ludicrous. The Pint X is still super expensive. But the regular Pint has like a 7 mile range. Not that the range should factor in as I'm guessing I might not be able to ride it for more than a block, ever lol.
They are great, a little expensive, if you can snowboard you can ride/drive one of those, friends have some, all the different models are great, When you are starting out, try to stay on grass.
most of the models wont go past 35km/h so mild road rash on gravel with no gear, if you wipe out at full speed.
Over all they are really fun, and if you have good balance easy to learn to ride.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I've seen a guy ride a motorized unicycle by my house a few times. I don't think it's a Onewheel, though, as he stands with his feet on either side of the wheel. He's also going 35-40mph in full motorcycle gear. Freaks me out every time.

For anyone actually thinking about buying one of these (any unicycle, really), consider that there seem to be several e-bike sales going on lately.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I've seen a guy ride a motorized unicycle by my house a few times. I don't think it's a Onewheel, though, as he stands with his feet on either side of the wheel. He's also going 35-40mph in full motorcycle gear. Freaks me out every time.

For anyone actually thinking about buying one of these (any unicycle, really), consider that there seem to be several e-bike sales going on lately.

that sounds terrifying, is it narrow or wide like a hoverboard? I went 42 on my Wolf King GT Pro (2 wheel ecooter) which can go 60. And I already was feeling halfway ready to crap myself. I couldn't imagine doing it on a 1 wheel device. I'd imagine on something like that 20 would feel like 50. I crashed a few months ago going maybe 25. And even with full moto gear on, I was barely able to walk for a few weeks and it was almost impossible to sleep. If this guy crashes going 35 even, he's gonna probably end up in the hospital.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
that sounds terrifying, is it narrow or wide like a hoverboard? I went 42 on my Wolf King GT Pro (2 wheel ecooter) which can go 60. And I already was feeling halfway ready to crap myself. I couldn't imagine doing it on a 1 wheel device. I'd imagine on something like that 20 would feel like 50. I crashed a few months ago going maybe 25. And even with full moto gear on, I was barely able to walk for a few weeks and it was almost impossible to sleep. If this guy crashes going 35 even, he's gonna probably end up in the hospital.

i did over 40 on my bike down a big highway hill one time, and i realized halfway down how much pain i would be feeling if anything went wrong

haven't ridden that way again ever since