Anyone here have a boat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

davew0670

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2003
Originally posted by: PowerMacG5
Originally posted by: spacelord
Originally posted by: AUMM
hmmmm... i was looking to get an 8 seater ski/wakeboard boat....the cost of the boat itself is relatively cheap.... but it seems like docking it at a marina is expensive....

If I had a smaller boat like what you are considering.. I would most likely trailer it if there are convenient launches. Soooo many people have boats and hardly use them. I use it nearly every Saturday and Sunday throughout the summer.. plus some nice 4 day weekends scattered throughout.

I remember when $1.79 was expensive for boat gas. haha, oh well.

Jesus, I remember when $2.50 was cheap for boat gas. Now, 4 dollars is cheap for boat gas. I swear, it would be cheaper for me to get one of those SUV mounted gas tanks, and go fill it up at the local gas station with 87 vs the 93 they force on you in the water, and then drive my car up to my boat.

I remember bitching about how gas was $2.50 for the boat. Now I'd do backflips for $2.50 gas for my jeep.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Storage: Don't buy a boat unless you can keep it inside. The weather just beats then to death.
Maintenance: Not much to it depending on the boat how new a boat you get. Likely just oil/filters and a water pump impeller all of which you can do yourself.
Cost: Fuel is/can be expensive on the lake, be sure to fill up before you go. I typically burn about $40 - $50 a day in my jet boat with an Olds 455.
Take a boater safety class which should be mandatory but isn't. 75% of the "boaters" I see have no idea what the rules of the road are and are flat out dangerous in their ignorance. They even have online classes.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: AUMM
I wanted to look into getting a boat and am trying to calculate the maintenence and storage costs... anyone have and idea about these or where I could look it up?

I was looking for info on boat docking, insurance, etc...

Slip fees vary widely depending on the marina and location. I would recommend you call a few marinas in your area and ask what the fee is per foot or just tell them what size boat you are looking at buying and see what the slip fee would be for that size boat.

Storing it out of the water is cheaper but then what's the point of owning it if it's not in the water?

What size boat are you looking at? Sail or power?

Edit-Maintenance and fuel costs for a power boat are much much higher than that of a sailboat. Operating costs are much higher for power boats.

Sails aren't cheap either but they last for many years if well maintained. Operating costs are very low for a sailboat.