Anyone here from Rockford, IL?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I'm looking for some first hand info on Rockford IL. anyone from there?

EDIT: just looking for some opinions of the town, what's it like, businesses and such

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Smolek
Rockford is a few hours south of Chicago

It's about 60 miles due west but thanks for coming out! ;)

I thought it was North of me for some reason and I'm from the NW suburbs. Go figure. Too many suburbs to keep track of.

-silver

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
just hop on 90 to get out there. I used to eat at the mcdonalds that is over the expressway on 90 outside rockford.

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman
just hop on 90 to get out there. I used to eat at the mcdonalds that is over the expressway on 90 outside rockford.

You sound like you know the area pretty well, Evad. He wants to know what the area is like (if it's a nice place to live, nice neighborhood, etc). I don't get out there much so I have very limited info. Maybe you could shed some light on the topic?

-silver

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
on another note, whats with these colorful sigs, like minendo's? Is it a new fusetalk feature?

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
I have relatives in Rockton, that's right nextdoor to Rockford.

Jan 18, 2001
what do you want to know?

i have done a limited amount of work with the Rockford School District. Even though the town isn't that big, they have some poverty areas due to the exportation of manufacturing plants. If you move there you might want to research a little bit before you move into a place.

astroview

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
What specifically would you like to know? I have a friend from there I might be able to ask.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: redly1
I'm looking for some first hand info on Rockford IL. anyone from there?

EDIT: just looking for some opinions of the town, what's it like, businesses and such

I live in a Dekalb that is just south of rockford but i used to live there.

Well the town is nice. IF you chose the right area to live. houses are cheap but the taxes are really high. not to mention the public school system is crap. I would NOT have my kids go to school there.

The businesses are great. you have a really good mall on the eastern side of town. Its really in a small town called cherry valley but close enough.

Infos

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Do they still have that speed trap there?
I got a speeding ticket going through there quite a while back. :disgust:

ps I think it also had the highest murder rate in the States for quite a while, too :Q

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
the public school system is crap. I would NOT have my kids go to school there.
That's what I hear. My uncle and his family used to live in Rockford, and he tells me that's the reason they decided to move out.

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
If you decide not to go w/ Rockford, the North/Northwest/West suburbs of Chicago would still be relatively close and their school systems are some of the best in the country. Our teachers were one of the highest paid in the country too so I'm sure it's felt in the taxes somewhat.

What are you looking for in the area aside from the neighborhood?

Relativity to Chicago?
School systems?
etc

-silver

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: exp
the public school system is crap. I would NOT have my kids go to school there.
That's what I hear. My uncle and his family used to live in Rockford, and he tells me that's the reason they decided to move out.

yeah its one of the reasons i moved out of Rockford. I was getting married and didnt want to have kids there.

Citation

Sep 28, 2002
Both Agnitrate and I are from Palatine.

Note:
ps I think it also had the highest murder rate in the States for quite a while, too

I think you are talking about Gary which is in Indiana, not Illinois, but close and after driving through the area very late at night it is definatly one of the scariest places ever.