Anyone here ever ran a hot dog cart/stand?

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
I am considering doing this(as a weekend kind of thing), but would like to hear from others who have headed down this path before, whether successful or not.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
For some reason I added "over" to the title.

Anyone ever ran over a hot dog cart/stand?

And then I read the OP that said "I'm considering doing this" and had had to re-read the title.

:eek:

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
i ran one, walked one, and jumped one. a practice your bulgarian... add hot pretzels to the menu...and your set... oh, and put a sign on it... show me your tits for a free dog and kraut!!

jC

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
It's all about the location.
indeed, back in college there were 2 hot dog stands that made bank after all the bars closed.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: vi edit

And then I read the OP that said "I'm considering doing this" and had had to re-read the title.

lol. I did too:).

Just have bacon bits and you should be a winner.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Imp

lol. I did too:).

Just have bacon bits and you should be a winner.

Good to know. Have you been playing GTA4 recently too?

:D

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
For a serious post, you'll want to inquire with your city/township/property owner and see what the costs are for running a stand.

Many "street vendors" have to be licensed by the city and those costs can be very prohibitive depending on where you are.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: alien42
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
It's all about the location.
indeed, back in college there were 2 hot dog stands that made bank after all the bars closed.

yeap.

there are 2 around the local college. the one guy makes llike $5k a week (of course only works part of the year).

whenever i see him he is swamped with people.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
There is a cart that hangs out at Staples Center after events. Probably makes really good money.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
For a serious post, you'll want to inquire with your city/township/property owner and see what the costs are for running a stand.

Many "street vendors" have to be licensed by the city and those costs can be very prohibitive depending on where you are.

I live in a small town of about 100k. I'm already aware of the need for food prep certifications and having the cart/stand deemed "kosher" for food prep. I don't know exactly what I need yet, but I haven't made the concrete decision to move forward with this yet either. I'm more so trying to find out if this is something that I can actually work into my life first. (IOW, how much time will have to go into it, how heavy will it set me back at first, how long will it take before I can expect to be turning a profit, etc)

If it's going to require 100 hours a week, and won't turn a profit for over a year, then it probably isn't something I need to get into.

However, if I could lease a cart, do it on the weekends, put around 30-40 hours a week into it, and expect to turn a profit after a couple months, then that is something I can live with.

edit: please excuse the comma brigade. They like to invade my posts occasionally.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Something to add...which may not be anything you're considering.

I know a guy that bought a hotdog/corndog trailer. He started a business going to fairs and festivals to provide concessions. He said that it was profitable on average, but when he factored in weather, gas to drive the cart to the events, and fees they charged to be a "vendor" he said it was difficult to break even without charging $4-5 per hot dog. (which is double what a vendor dog should be)

The point is, if you can figure up your operational costs and figure out how much you have to make before you turn a profit it might help you decide if you're expect to do well in the venture.

Be sure to keep low stocks until you figure out how long it takes you to go through your food inventory.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

Too much GTA4 for you.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
This is a little easier to wrap your head around and so my advice is to put $500 aside, and go set it up and see what happens. Even if you run out of hot dogs, you don't get customers, whatever, just get going and see what happens. You can plan a lot, and you should, but things will always be different than you expect. This isn't something where if you make a mistake, people won't come back, it's more of an impulse buy and not a planned decision.

Basically, just set it up and give it a shot. You'll learn a lot in just a day of selling hot dogs...

jmgonzalez

Dec 1, 1999
Originally posted by: axelfox
There is a cart that hangs out at Staples Center after events. Probably makes really good money.

Just one? How about a cart at every block in a 5 block radius around Staples Center

Rowboat

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: nonameo

I live in a small town of about 100k. I'm already aware of the need for food prep certifications and having the cart/stand deemed "kosher" for food prep. I don't know exactly what I need yet, but I haven't made the concrete decision to move forward with this yet either. I'm more so trying to find out if this is something that I can actually work into my life first. (IOW, how much time will have to go into it, how heavy will it set me back at first, how long will it take before I can expect to be turning a profit, etc)

If it's going to require 100 hours a week, and won't turn a profit for over a year, then it probably isn't something I need to get into.

However, if I could lease a cart, do it on the weekends, put around 30-40 hours a week into it, and expect to turn a profit after a couple months, then that is something I can live with.

edit: please excuse the comma brigade. They like to invade my posts occasionally.

Is that you Will?

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Rowboat
Originally posted by: nonameo

Is that you Will?

I don't get it...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You need to do a business plan. You never, ever, ever (like the commas?) start ANY food operation without a business plan. Please, for your sake and, all the professional food services folk out there, do the research and make a plan. There are way too many crappy food businesses.