Anyone here ever been involved in the Peace Corps?

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
I'm curious about the whole thing. How was your experience? Would you do it again?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Damn hippies.

When will you learn? Peace is only attainable through Superior Firepower.

In the world that modern man grew up in (i.e. the past 10K years), "peace" is not "a tranquil state."

"Peace" is " The absence of war."

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
For a government security clearance any involvement with the peace corps tends to be frowned on. Thats about all I know.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Damn hippies.

In the world that modern man grew up in (i.e. the past 10K years), "peace" is not "a tranquil state."

Riiiiggghhttt - that's not what the Peace Corps is about. lol

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: d3n
For a government security clearance any involvement with the peace corps tends to be frowned on. Thats about all I know.

The Peace Corps is an independent federal agency of the United States designed to promote mutual understanding between Americans and the outside world. The Peace Corps was established by executive order in 1961 by President John F. Kennedy and approved by Congress as a permanent agency within the State Department later that year. The program was an outgrowth of the Cold War designed to oppose the Chinese and Soviet challenge to Western influence in the widely open Third World arena of superpower competition. More than 180,000 Americans have served in the Peace Corps since its inception.

I don't plan on ever joining the Peace Corps, but I do know that it gets you in the door of the federal service.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: d3n

I remember reading this, but I can't recall where.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Art Vandelay
Originally posted by: michaels
Damn hippies..get a real job

Shut up troll :roll:

Seriously, I imagine few things are more honorable or beneficial, personally and professionally, than serving in the peace corps. It's like gold on any resume.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Originally posted by: Art Vandelay
Originally posted by: michaels
Damn hippies..get a real job

Shut up troll :roll:

Seriously, I imagine few things are more honorable or beneficial, personally and professionally, than serving in the peace corps. It's like gold on any resume.

QFT. I worked with two peace corp volunteers for a period of three weeks when I was in Belize. They worked their BUTT off. If I ever get really healthy where I can survive without medical care for a few years I will definitely do it no doubt.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
This probably won't be very helpful, but I remember the brother of my third grade teacher being involved in the peace corps way back when. We used to write him letters all the time, and she'd read his responses in class.

I don't recall much, but there was one instance where the poor guy ended up getting malaria...one of the villagers biked (as in pedaled) him something like 30 miles to the nearest hospital.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I came this close ---> || to joining after college. Got offered a good job halfway through filling out the application, so I didn't go. I kind of wish I had gone through with it, in retrospect.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
I came this close ---> || to joining after college. Got offered a good job halfway through filling out the application, so I didn't go. I kind of wish I had gone through with it, in retrospect.

If you were only half way thru filling out the application then you were | ................................... | close to being accepted, anyway.

btw, read my sig.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: chambersc

If you were only half way thru filling out the application then you were | ................................... | close to being accepted, anyway.

btw, read my sig.

I don't think I would've had any problems with getting accepted, I'd been talking to them for awhile and had a degree and job experience they wanted.

What do you want me to get from your signature? The quote from Aristotle? What does that have to do with the job I would have had with the Peace Corps? I fail to see how that's relevant to me helping poor people learn to grow food crops, or whatever they would have assigned me to do.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004

btw, read my sig.

Your sig has nothing to do with the Peace Corps.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe

btw, read my sig.

Your sig has nothing to do with the Peace Corps.
I know it has nothing to do with the Corps. It goes to the broader argument that was posed a few posts up about "Peace" is " The absence of war."

EDIT: Bryophyte, I have a friend that JUST went away for the Corps ... Sept. 24th actually. He's presently in Mozambique. The process, that he said was routine, took him about a year or more. Not only do you have to apply but be selected, screened, interviewed and then deemed a "suitable candidate." Remember, there are an abundance of hippies that want to go into the Corps...you aren't special because you think you have a job that they're interested in.

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Damn hippies.

Your ignorance is astounding.

Peace Corps has NOTHING to do with whatever garbage you are trying to spew. These volunteers are rigorously screened before they are sent off to third-world countries. They sacrifice several years of their lives (usually 2 years stint at a time) to help those less fortunate.

My sister spent 2 years in a war-torn country in central Africa. No plumbing or easy access to anything. We got to talk to her by phone for 15 minutes once every several months when she goes to the main city. And getting to the city requires a long crampy bus ride, sometimes with the passengers sleeping on the side of the road when the bus breaks down.

And no, my sister and her friends aren't hippies. Never were. They are just kind-hearted people, which I doubt you can comprehend.