Anyone here do contracting work where they bill over $100/hr?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
I interned at a benefits consulting firm whose average rates were ~500/hr for people in my dept (technical solutions/apps). The most senior member charged 645

those are book rates, clients always get discounts.

Originally posted by: Naustica
Originally posted by: RichieZ
my COMPANY bills > $200 per hour for my consulting services

and they pay you how much?

Not enough, i got a 23% raise this year and I'm probably going to leave soon

Originally posted by: Descartes
A lot of people have billing rates exceeding $100/hr, but not many have that and >= 100% utilization. It's easy to have a $150/hr billing rate, but it's not so easy to be billable.

If you work for a consulting firm why would you want to have >100% utilization, its not like you get paid extra for it. And I'm pretty sure almost everybody in reality has >100% but is capped usually at billing 45hrs/wk

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I've been doing consulting for a small business in South Dakota for 3 years this month but I'm only getting $35/hour. I do everything IT related from fixing PCs to setting up and administering a couple Linux boxes on site that run Samba, Postfix, Apache2, DNS, DHCP, etc.

I should demand more money but this place took a chance on me while I was in school and because of the experience of working there, I was able to land my first Sys Admin job shortly after graduation.

However, at $35/hour for me to do all their PC and server stuff whenever they need me they're getting the work done VERY cheap.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
One of my mates doing articles (tax law) is billed out at $370 an hour ;)

Of course, he sees very little of that, except if he bills more than x hours a day, he gets something like 30% of every hour over that...