Anyone here been laid off in Silicon Valley?

Nov 3, 2007
I just got laid off from a large company this week in Silicon Valley along with many others. I worked there for almost two years. This was my first "real job" after having graduated from grad school. Please, I am going crazy right now.

My manager told me I was canned. I asked him, point-blank, why I was chosen to be laid off. He refused to give me a straight answer. He said "it was a decision from upper management." I've been home for the last few days. I've emailed my former coworkers asking why the hell did this happen to me. No one is answering my emails. It's like I never worked there. This is all so surreal.

I finally got an email from my former boss last night. His reply was the same, he did not want to discuss why I was laid off.

What the F is going on? Are these people legally handcuffed such that they cannot say anything? Are these the rules of the game? I am totally new to this. Please, if someone can give some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I would bet nobody wants to say anything for fear of being sued.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Of course they won't disclose why; like you said, it's because of the legal issues. Yea it sucks but move on and look for a new job. It's water under the bridge now, so it's not like finding out the reason will get you the job back.

Good luck in your search.

Nov 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Of course they won't disclose why; like you said, it's because of the legal issues. Yea it sucks but move on and look for a new job. It's water under the bridge now, so it's not like finding out the reason will get you the job back.

What legal issues are these? I don't understand this at all. Can someone give me a url for reading on this?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: anandtechuser07
Originally posted by: Dacalo

What legal issues are these? I don't understand this at all. Can someone give me a url for reading on this?

You can't get in trouble for saying nothing.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I think they ought to tell you why you are being let go. Didn't they have any explanation on your termination letter when you signed it?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: zoiks
I think they ought to tell you why you are being let go. Didn't they have any explanation on your termination letter when you signed it?

I think he got listed as "downsized/laid off", but he wants to know why him specifically

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
2 years. Pffft. That's nothing. I just got laid off from a job after 13 years, and I'm the LEAST senior person to get the axe. There are people that have been there 30+ years, and it's the only place they have ever worked. Don't sweat it, just start looking for a new job while you are getting unemployment......

Nov 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Ns1

I think he got listed as "downsized/laid off", but he wants to know why him specifically

Yes, exactly, why me? I worked hard as hell and got along with everyone. And even if they still had to lay me off, why the F is no one returning my emails? I thought these were my friends. It's like I have the plague now.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Ns1

Yes, exactly, why me? I worked hard as hell and got along with everyone. And even if they still had to lay me off, why the F is no one returning my emails? I thought these were my friends. It's like I have the plague now.

You ever watch 'office space'? watch it again. and again. and again.

then you'll understand why, and get over it.

seriously, it's gone, move on.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Welcome to California - California is an "at-will" employment state. Companies can get ride of you at anytime without liability.

Having gone through a layoff several times in my life, I know how you feel. After awhile I learned not to take it so personally.

xochi

Jan 18, 2000

What was the general reason that was given to the group? company not doing well financially? Company moving in a new direction? anything like that?

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Look on the bright side, there?ll always be a position waiting for you at McDonalds. How?s your burger flipping skills?

Nov 3, 2007
Originally posted by: xochi

What was the general reason that was given to the group? company not doing well financially? Company moving in a new direction? anything like that?

1000 people got laid off this week. It was known the company was doing a bit on the mediocre side.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: xochi

1000 people got laid off this week. It was known the company was doing a bit on the mediocre side.

lol, maybe they're not answering emails then cuz they're being bombarded by the other 999 people

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Drako
Welcome to California - California is an "at-will" employment state. Companies can get ride of you at anytime without liability.

Having gone through a layoff several times in my life, I know how you feel. After awhile I learned not to take it so personally.

Has nothing to do with California. Unfortunately, thats how it works sometimes in Tech companies.

Nov 3, 2007

I am loosely familiar with how CA is an "at-will" employment state. Does that have an impact on why my manager refused to tell me why I was laid off? Why is no one returning my emails? I was friends with all my former co-workers. Are the legally binded to not communicate with me?

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007

Has nothing to do with California. Unfortunately, thats how it works sometimes in Tech companies.

It has everything to do with being an "at-will" state though. They have no requirement to give any reason for termination.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
1,000 jobs is a lot. It isn't like they picked the one current employee they wanted to get rid of. You were probably paid a decent salary, and they cut you for lack of experience. 2 years out of graduate school = minimal experience.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007

I am loosely familiar with how CA is an "at-will" employment state. Does that have an impact on why my manager refused to tell me why I was laid off? Why is no one returning my emails? I was friends with all my former co-workers. Are the legally binded to not communicate with me?

I'm guessing that the HR department told all the remaining employees not to answer anyone's questions about the layoff. The company may also be screening emails, so your friends may not be getting your email.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

at will basically means that you can be fired for any reason short of breaking anti-discrimination laws and your employer is not required to tell you why or give you advanced notice.

as far as why they're not telling you... who knows. maybe they don't want to, maybe there's no reason short of downsizing. your former coworkers probably aren't in a position to know and it's kind of awkward talking with someone who just got shitcanned from a company.