Anyone have this PC 7950 Card?

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
I saw this PC 2DHV5E card ($189.00) while checking/watching prices on (3L/MSI TF) 7950's Newegg for possible purchase to CF my S-7950 depending on 9-25-13 news. I don't remember seeing this card before so not sure how long this one has been out. I mainly just look at and watch prices on Sapphire and MSI TF models so maybe just missed this card n the past.
Edit Ok I see this card has been out for a while.

Does anyone have this card that could comment on your oc levels, temps, noise, vram sensors?, etc on this card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131499

TIA

Last edited:

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Same thing happens with the Sapphire 3L & other cards in the past says "discontinued and not in stock" then days to weeks later they are back in stock.

But curious for now on this PC 5E to check out while I wait for the 9-23 news. :)
I haven't found much info on this card per review/user.

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Since seeing the recent news (Forbes) on Hawaii I am thinking I might just order another 7950 to CF and not wait till the 25th kind of afraid the price might start to shoot up like it did on the Sapphire 7950 3L below imo.

After seeing the Sapphire 7950 3L go from around $189/199 to $289.00 lately on Newegg think I am going to pull the trigger on the below PC 7950 5E maybe today. I could not find (G) much info on this card but from the pics the cooling looks like it might be good/improved from previous models with more open area for air flow imo.I have seen 1100 (NE )without pushing it further and 1150on this card from a AT member. So I am thinking today to take a chance and will test this card out on clocks/temps/noise levels. I think this is a great price for a dual fan 7950 but have to see how it performs of course per above. Yes I did think about a blower card to pair with my 3L but have enough info (MTDEW/Temps for 1)and with my case air flow and temps I feel this will work out imo.

PC 7950 5E 189.00 AR

Sapphire 3L now $289.00 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202026

Last edited:

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
The PCS+ version got decent reviews. Price is right. Seems like this might be a good gamble. FWIW I agree with your crystal ball projection that prices are going to go up.

Nov 7, 2000
I had to RMA my powercolor 7950 and that is the card they replaced it with

I had a thread about it

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=35249924

Unfortunately I cant really help you with any of your questions. Im not much of a GPU power user. At this point, its a success for me just to be able to say I have a working video card.

In terms of powercolor as a company I am less than impressed. RMA process was OK, but a little slow. When I first purchased they issued the rebate check with teh wrong year and have not yet replaced it despite multiple attempts at letting them know....

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Nice replacement card! You went from a single fan 850 MHz card to newer 925 boost dual fan card replacement very nice imo, but yeah not cool on the rebate hopefully you will get it.

Do you happen to know if this card (5E) has VRM temp sensors?

Thanks

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Why don't you save $10 and get the MSI single-fan for $179 after rebate? What does this Powercolor have, besides dual fan, that would make you want to switch away from MSI? There's another thread where I think Monkeydelmagico? got that MSI to overclock to 11XX MHz something stock, with no VRM coolers. I can't tell, does this Powercolor have VRM coolers, or are they bare?

Here is the MSI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127737

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
The PCS+ version got decent reviews. Price is right. Seems like this might be a good gamble. FWIW I agree with your crystal ball projection that prices are going to go up.

Hopefully the gamble on this card will work out. :)

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Why don't you save $10 and get the MSI single-fan for $179 after rebate? What does this Powercolor have, besides dual fan, that would make you want to switch away from MSI? There's another thread where a guy got that MSI to overclock to 11XX MHz something stock, with no VRM coolers. I can't tell, does this Powercolor have VRM coolers, or are they bare?

I did look at that one (read the reviews/noise/temps) awhile back I mainly like/want the dual fan cooling for lower noise levels and temps vs a single fan. The Powercolor also has a 2 year warranty vs MSI 1 year warranty. I am assuming with this dual fan has vrm coolers like my 3L dual fan it seems to look like a decent dual fan setup imo from the pics per above comment. If unhappy once I get it I do have 30 days to return it, so thinking of going with this one possibly today so far.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
OK I may jump in with you and buy too, please let me know how your thought process develops.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Why don't you save $10 and get the MSI single-fan for $179 after rebate? What does this Powercolor have, besides dual fan, that would make you want to switch away from MSI? There's another thread where I think Monkeydelmagico? got that MSI to overclock to 11XX MHz something stock, with no VRM coolers. I can't tell, does this Powercolor have VRM coolers, or are they bare?

Here is the MSI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127737

Because friends don't let friends buy single fan 7950's ;) To save only $10 is certainly not worth having higher temps and more noise. Monkey's temps on his core and vrms overclocked we really bad before he did the red mod.

I would like to see this card naked. It looks like it uses the reference 7950 PCB, but what type of vrm and memory cooling does it have? Does it even have vrms temp sensors?

Last edited:

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
OK I may jump in with you and buy too, please let me know how your thought process develops.

KF I went ahead and ordered it and will sell the games of course once I decide if to keep this card and fwiw here are some side by side pics of the PC 5E dual fan vs. the PC PCS+ dual fan.

@Face2Face

I searched and searched but couldn't find any info if this 5E has VRM temp sensors and I am assuming most likely it has memory cooling/HS.

PC Boost 925 5E

PC5E_zpsd0725b60.jpg

PC -850-PCS+
PCS_zpsbff6b161.jpg

Last edited:

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
^ Keep us updated on it. Looks to be a great price on a card with a nice cooler.

I'll post up some data clocks/temps/noise but I will not try to push the card that hard if it doesn't have vrm temp sensors. I'll go for 1150 for sure if its possible on this card then 1175 & 1200 max just to bench in UH 4.0 if possible since I will have a backup (3L) card now :) just in case but that's it without vrm temp sensors imo.

FWIW with my 3L I went 1150/1600 in UH 4.0 without any artifacts but that was high as I was willing to try due to no vrm temp sensors.

UH 4.0
With stock fan settings temps maxed (1150/1600) at 69C.
With fan profile it was like either 62 or 64C max at 1150/1600.

Last edited:

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012
So did you get the 5E or the PCS+ and why? It looks like the PCS+ is higher end?

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
So did you get the 5E or the PCS+ and why? It looks like the PCS+ is higher end?

I went with the 5E, the main reason is the dual fan cooler looks to be a possible better/improved to me vs. the the PCS+ imo as per my above comment. It is also a shorter card which I like, is a dual DVI vs. single DVI and is a newer release, so just might be some improvements from earlier versions being a newer release by PC but no facts just my possible assumption their might be imo. :) The dual DVI vs. single DVI and boost 925 vs 880 clocks of the PCS+ could help on a better/quicker resale down the road for non overclocker buyer imo. :)

So what makes you think the PCS+ looks like or is a higher end card to you than the 5E?

Last edited:

GreenOrbs

Aug 13, 2013
Congrats! I also picked up the same card today for my new build. The price seemed more than reasonable for a 7950 and it should work for my $700 build. I don't know if the 7950 will remain the best performance/price value but I'm covered by my credit card. I have 90 day return through Discover so its all good. =D

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012
So what makes you think the PCS+ looks like or is a higher end card to you than the 5E?

Just some of the little things. Like the PCS+ has a metal brace to keep it from warping. They bothered to nickle plate the heatpipes and use a matte black pcb which they seem to reserve for their higher price cards.

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Just some of the little things. Like the PCS+ has a metal brace to keep it from warping. They bothered to nickle plate the heatpipes and use a matte black pcb which they seem to reserve for their higher price cards.

Ok I see what your saying/thinking now that you pointed that out and I can agree with you from looking at it from that standpoint to a degree. That didn't hit me looking at both cards before your post and didn't even notice the metal brace on the PCS+ till your post.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
So this card is using a red PCB, and is that just the same card as the single-fan they had, but now they switched the cooler to dual fan? I wonder if there are any price savings used on the circuitry for this red PCB of this card, vs. the circuitry of the PCS+?

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
So this card is using a red PCB, and is that just the same card as the single-fan they had, but now they switched the cooler to dual fan? I wonder if there are any price savings used on the circuitry for this red PCB of this card, vs. the circuitry of the PCS+?

FWIW

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but KF I believe the 5E is a custom PCB similar to my Sapphire -3L custom PCB due to the fact it has dual DVI's vs. refrence PCB's which came with a single DVI only I believe. So I think/believe this is a different/custom PCB vs. the reference PCS single fan & the PCS+ dual fan PCB's.

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Just an update another review of this card popped up on NE tonight.

Looks like this card does have vrm temps sensors.
Stable OC hit 1210/1630 per temps below/mATX case
But no heatsink on the VRM's. :(
So max ocing will be limited to a degree on this card.

So now I am just going abort/cancel this order (no HS/VRM cooling) for the 5E and just watch for the TF3 to go on sale hopefully for a good price as I have seen in the past. :)

Pros: Cooler is very effective, voltage is unlocked, memory voltage is unlocked if you really wanted to adjust that too, great overclocker. At 1.15V (according to Trixx -- unsure if that is a true absolute value. This is 0.10V above stock), it is stable at 1210/1630. At that speed temps never go above 77C, and the VRMs stay under 100C. This is in an mATX case, too, so not necessarily an ideal airflow situation.

Cons: No heatsink on the VRM -- but turns out, this isn't really all that necessary anyways. With the core at 1210, the VRMs don't even get to 100C (and 120C is the throttle point). No you won't be able to crank the voltage up to the max, but with one of the card's fans blowing right on top of them, the cooling is good enough such that for most overclocking purposes the VRMs won't be limiting you. It's definitely good enough for adding +0.10V to the stock vcore.

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I was going to mention that I have that card (the 5E dual swirl fan)

The cooler is exactly the same as the PC HD7970 3E, and that card runs very quiet and cool, so the same cooler on a HD7950 will have an easier time. The card is voltage unlocked, and has VRM temp sensors as already mentioned. Nice card all in all. I want to get the PCS+, and when I do, I'll let everyone know.

Disclaimer: Have not overclocked it, just undervolted it for cooler and quieter operation.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Well I ended up going with the HIS IceQ 7950, it's $204 on Amazon, and there is a $15 rebate. Ordered it, appears to include VRM heatsink.