Anyone have tech horror stories?

Hyperblaze

Lifer
May 31, 2001
Does anyone have links to share about tech horror stories or have some yourself?

I'd like to hear some. Thanks.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Nothing that's happned to me personally, but a close friend of mine had a finger shredded on a thermaltake volcano fan.... :shocked:

ABitTooSpicy

Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Jero
Does anyone have links to share about tech horror stories or have some yourself?

I'd like to hear some. Thanks.

I work in software support...
So this one time, I get a phone call and the customer is telling me that she can't find the software on her machine, she has used it many times but for some reason its just not in her start menu... So I ask the obvious question, have you changed anything on your machine from the last time you used it... "oh, I never used it on this machine, this is a brand new machine".... me: "Did you install the software??"... her: "How do I check?"... at this point I was like wow... I can't believe we sell our software to people like this... there should be a minimum IQ requirement...
Long story short... she never installed the software and was looking to run it... =)

brnbngls

Feb 12, 2001
This happened yesterday. A supervisor called me yesterday and said that some users couldn't get logged into one of the many systems we use. Keep in mind that this is a self contained system with user accounts that has been using for months now. I heard her say "Log in with what you use to get in your PC. " I siad no, they have a seperate logon for NICE. Well I hear her say it again. SHe then gets very angry and says "It's saying access denied." So I ask what their logon to NICE is. SHe replies "Well, they don't have logons for NICE."

Do you suppose maybe not having accounts would be why they're not able to get in?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Once upon a time in a scary graveyard, there was a man with a hook for a hand. He was trying to type on his Dell Lattitude Laptop when the hook sunk into the keyboard and he was shocked with the powerful dual lithium-ion batteries. Needless to say, they hit him with full force and he fell over.....dead. Luckily, he was already in a graveyard.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
Once upon a time in a scary graveyard, there was a man with a hook for a hand. He was trying to type on his Dell Lattitude Laptop when the hook sunk into the keyboard and he was shocked with the powerful dual lithium-ion batteries. Needless to say, they hit him with full force and he fell over.....dead. Luckily, he was already in a graveyard.

:D

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
I posted this in the "anyone ever take their PC to a computer shop" thread also..

I once took my PC to have it repaired at CompUSA because it was free and I was too lazy to do it. Well I got the PC back 2 days later and when I got it home and turned it on it shot white smoke out of the back of it and filled my room with smoke in under 10 seconds. I opened the case and found that the power for the A: drive properly plugged in and it destroyed my power supply. From that day on I've never been too lazy to work on my own PC. Lesson learned.....

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
almost computer-related.

on my first day of work at this data center, one of the maintenence guys lost the top third of his index finger while trying to move one of the massive, turbine-like fans that we used to cool the space between racks.

very disturbing... we've sinced stopped using those fans, though he was stupid for trying to move it while it was still going at full blast.

Psycho18

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi

lol