Anyone have recommendations on a sub $2000 HDTV?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
can you guys look at their website and make the best suggestion off of their sub 2k models?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Tbirdkid
can you guys look at their website and make the best suggestion off of their sub 2k models?

I don't understand. You CAN find the Hitachi I suggested for under $2000 if you shop around. I promise. Hell, you can even price match with CC if you need to buy it there.

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Price matching is one thing... fitting my price range is another. Even if i find someone to beat cc's price... the 90 dollar cables will probably take me over. I am getting a discount since I am immediate family with someone who is a manager at CC. However the cheaper the better but i also want quality. So in saying 2k limit the actual price I am looking to pay is like 1800. My wife wont let me spend more than that probably.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Price matching is one thing... fitting my price range is another. Even if i find someone to beat cc's price... the 90 dollar cables will probably take me over. I am getting a discount since I am immediate family with someone who is a manager at CC. However the cheaper the better but i also want quality. So in saying 2k limit the actual price I am looking to pay is like 1800. My wife wont let me spend more than that probably.

What kind of discount? And 90 bucks for cables??? Don't buy Monster cables. You can easily outfit a HDTV/DVD/STB with much cheaper cables from Radio Shack and I challenge you to see any difference in picture quality. Do not fall for the high end cable hype. It's a ripoff.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Look, from the selection at CC, I cannot honestly suggest anything cheaper. There might be some cheaper Toshibas at Best Buy or Sears worth looking at. But I have both Sony (XBR10) and Hitachi (SWX20) RP HDTVs, and I can say without a doubt that the Hitachi has a much better picture.

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
All employees get discounts. It just varies which department and how much. Even if I didnt get a discount I would still want to get one from CC or BB. Nobody else besides sears and the big screen store here sells them. And I am not having one shipped that is just insane.
By 16:9 Im guessing you mean 4:3 ratio? I read the stuff CC has on their website about the tvs but I cant figure out how you know it is not a 16:9. I think I understand it but not sure.
I just cant spend a fortune on one.... but i will spend a pretty penny on one...

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
All employees get discounts. It just varies which department and how much. Even if I didnt get a discount I would still want to get one from CC or BB. Nobody else besides sears and the big screen store here sells them. And I am not having one shipped that is just insane.
By 16:9 Im guessing you mean 4:3 ratio? I read the stuff CC has on their website about the tvs but I cant figure out how you know it is not a 16:9. I think I understand it but not sure.
I just cant spend a fortune on one.... but i will spend a pretty penny on one...

16:9 is widescreen. 4:3 is more square. You can easily tell just by looking at the shape of the TV. You want widescreen because all HD broadcasts are in 16:9. Plus, DVD movies are in 16:9 or wider.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000