Anyone have recommendations on a sub $2000 HDTV?

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Does anyone have any recommendations? I am looking for a big screen and awesome clarity. Dony want to spend a fortune tho. All recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
oh yeah, if you want a bigger tv, check out the mitsubishi 55313, good set, good size, good price

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Ok but what is with the hd adapter? I am a noob to hdtv so hook me up with the things to look for... thanks

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
Bigger is better, then get this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8041&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_9&oid=69934

I have a Hitachi and couldn't be more impressed with it.

You could probably find this one on sale for under 2 grand:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8041&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_13&oid=68962

if you want a hitachi, get the ultravision...the sets you linked to arent nearly comparable to the Toshiba/Mitsu sets I was talking about. I wouldnt worry too much about the HD box, its mostly used for over the air reception, and if you have satelite or cable you wouldnt have a use for it. The only exception is the new QAM tuners that come built in some sets, which can be used to decode the HD signal from your cable provider.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Tbirdkid
Ok but what is with the hd adapter? I am a noob to hdtv so hook me up with the things to look for... thanks

If you want to get OTA HD signals (the best way to get the big three in HD), you can find HD boxes to do so for $2-300. If you want to get HD over Sat, you can do this for $200-700 depending on the service and the box (most HD sat boxes can get OTA HD signals too since DirecTV and Dish do not, and cannot carry NBC, ABC and CBS in HD).

If your local cableco has HD, it's as simple as upgrading to their HD service, and getting their HD box for a $5 or so monthly rent.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: rudeguy
Bigger is better, then get this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8041&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_9&oid=69934

I have a Hitachi and couldn't be more impressed with it.

You could probably find this one on sale for under 2 grand:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8041&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_13&oid=68962

if you want a hitachi, get the ultravision...the sets you linked to arent nearly comparable to the Toshiba/Mitsu sets I was talking about. I wouldnt worry too much about the HD box, its mostly used for over the air reception, and if you have satelite or cable you wouldnt have a use for it. The only exception is the new QAM tuners that come built in some sets, which can be used to decode the HD signal from your cable provider.

OK, then find this one on sale:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8041&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_14&oid=74886

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
How do i choose the actual size? My room is about 11 feet wide. So that will make it to where I will be watching the tv from maybe 8 feet. What size should I get?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I have been looking at getting one for my bed room too (well at least not a huge room). Anyway, I will probably be getting a CRT. If I do get a projection, it will be no bigger than 45" (and I really don't want one that big anyway). The Samsung 43" DLPs are really really nice but they are way too expensive right now. I am even considering going with a 36" 4:3. The few feeds that I will get that are widescreen, I can use letterbox.

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
If you can make the room dark get a hdtv projector. They can be had for well under 2k and provide a very nice picture. I have a 1 yr old one that I got for 1400. See sig for screen caps.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
How do i choose the actual size? My room is about 11 feet wide. So that will make it to where I will be watching the tv from maybe 8 feet. What size should I get?

Well, I would suggest no bigger than a 51" if you are viewing from 8' away. Any bigger and SD material will be completely intollerable.

The last Hitachi I posted would be ideal.

This one:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8041&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_14&oid=74886

so do you work for circuit or hitachi?

if you are going to be watching from less than 8 feet away, samsung has a nice thirty inch HD modle that would suffice. Otherwise look to the Toshiba Cinema Series 36" HD set. Great picture, great price, cant beat it.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Well, I would suggest no bigger than a 51" if you are viewing from 8' away. Any bigger and SD material will be completely intollerable.

The last Hitachi I posted would be ideal.

This one:

so do you work for circuit or hitachi?

if you are going to be watching from less than 8 feet away, samsung has a nice thirty inch HD modle that would suffice. Otherwise look to the Toshiba Cinema Series 36" HD set. Great picture, great price, cant beat it.

LOL, no. I use the CC site because everyone has one nearby. And Ir ecommend Hitachi because I'm very impressed with the one I got for Xmas from the GF last year. It beats my Sonys all to hell.

8" is perfect for a 51" TV. If he was going to be watching HD and DVDs only, I'd suggest a 57" minimum and ideally a 61" for an 8' viewing distance. It's amazing how these things start to shrink after you've had them a while. At first they seem huge, then they keep feeling smaller and smaller. You'd also be amazed at what the recommended viewing distance is for the THX standard. In fact, the maximum recommended viewing distance for a 51" screen is 8' to conform to the THX standard:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

The THX "recommended" viewing distance for a 51" 16:9 screen is 5.7 feet!

So, IMO, 51" would be perfect for his setup, considering that he will be watching some crappy SD channels part of the time.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
good reference....THX that is...gotta make sure you purchase a two thousand dollar TV to conform to a standard that exists on 1% of all movies.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001

If you want to get OTA HD signals (the best way to get the big three in HD), you can find HD boxes to do so for $2-300. If you want to get HD over Sat, you can do this for $200-700 depending on the service and the box (most HD sat boxes can get OTA HD signals too since DirecTV and Dish do not, and cannot carry NBC, ABC and CBS in HD).

If your local cableco has HD, it's as simple as upgrading to their HD service, and getting their HD box for a $5 or so monthly rent.

Actually for qualifying customers we can get CBS in HD out of New York. There may come a time when we start carrying local market area networks in HD but we have not as of yet.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: nsafreak

Actually for qualifying customers we can get CBS in HD out of New York. There may come a time when we start carrying local market area networks in HD but we have not as of yet.

That's true. If you live in an area in which the local CBS station is owned by CBS, Dish network (not DirecTV) can offer you CBS in HD. I forgot about that.

But there is no way the sat companies can carry local HD channels any time in the foreseeable future. They do not have nearly enough bandwidth to pull it off. That is literally hundreds of HD channels. It would require many, many more sats in orbit. This is why cable can win the provider war if they would convert to 100% digital, not compress their channels as much as the sats are doing, and offer as much HD content along with the locals in HD. That day should be soon.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
good reference....THX that is...gotta make sure you purchase a two thousand dollar TV to conform to a standard that exists on 1% of all movies.

If you note, that page has more than just the THX standard. It also has the SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture Television Engineers) standard that is even closer than the THX standard. Most theaters follow one of these two standards. If you want a movie theater experiance in your home, it is advisable to follow these viewing distance and angle standards.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: nsafreak

That's true. If you live in an area in which the local CBS station is owned by CBS, Dish network (not DirecTV) can offer you CBS in HD. I forgot about that.

But there is no way the sat companies can carry local HD channels any time in the foreseeable future. They do not have nearly enough bandwidth to pull it off. That is literally hundreds of HD channels. It would require many, many more sats in orbit. This is why cable can win the provider war if they would convert to 100% digital, not compress their channels as much as the sats are doing, and offer as much HD content along with the locals in HD. That day should be soon.

Actually it may be possible in the near future. You see we do not have to use the full capacity of a particular transponder to broadcast locals, we use spot beams to cover particular areas and as such it does not take as much bandwidth. If we were broadcasting all the locals to every city in the US then we would have problems. Insofar as compression is concerned I think cable will have to deal with that more than satellite would. Why? Because it would require a major overhaul of their systems in order to provide the kind of bandwidth you're talking about. While on the other hand satellite providers can put a few more satellites in orbit and increase their bandwidth.

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Ok the problem with that tv is that it is not sub 2000 and i have to buy cables and probably a stand for it. What about the samsung that is a 51 inch for like 1399 or so on the circuit city website?

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Being that I'm a lazy arse how about a link to that Samsung? Without seeing the link I'll say it'd probably be a good buy as I personally own a Samsung and know many satisfied customers that own them as well.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Ok the problem with that tv is that it is not sub 2000 and i have to buy cables and probably a stand for it. What about the samsung that is a 51 inch for like 1399 or so on the circuit city website?

You wont need a stand. It sits at the optimal viewing height for most people. And any TV you buy will need cables.

You should be able to find the set for under 2 grand easily if you shop around for a sale. I'd stay away from the lower end sets. The picture quality just isn't the same, and the brightness level from side to side can vary widely.

BTW, I donlt see a Samsung 51" for 1399. I see a 54" 4:3 samsung. And I'd stay away from 4:3 if you're intersted in HDTV.