Anyone have more info on Samsung CH711 Quantum Dot monitors?

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Time to upgrade my 10 year old Dell. It's still as good as day one (no dead pixels, minimal backlight bleed for an IPS), but it's just tiny and at 1680x1050@60Hz, lagging today's standards.

I've seen the flagship monitors from Samsung, Asus, etc from CES (4k, 114Hz, etc), but they are all around $1k or more. I don't mind spending on a monitor, but that's a budget buster.

This monitor announcement seems more like the value proposition:

Samsung issued a press release unveiling their new CH711 Quantum Dot curved monitor, which will debut at CES 2017.

The CH711 comes in two sizes: 27-inches and 31.5-inches respectively. For those looking at smaller sizes around 24-inches, you’re out of luck. That’s not a bad thing however, as larger monitors tend to cram in more pixels. Speaking of pixels, the monitor comes equipped with a 2560 x 1440 resolution, which is essentially the current standard for high-end gaming monitors on the market today. The monitor features an 1800R curvature and ultrawide 178 degree viewing angle; Samsung claims that content will clearly visible from anywhere in the room. To top it all off, the CH711 also features nearly 125 percent sRGB color coverage.

It’s interesting to note that Samsung’s CH711 is designed primarily with gaming in mind. There aren’t many details regarding its gaming prowess just yet, but hopefully that translates to low input lag and fast response times for serious gaming. The last thing we’d need is a laggy, blurry gaming set after all. Samsung’s recent Quantum Dot monitor, the CFG70, offered a “Gaming UX” user interface that essentially mimics gaming presets found in other leading gaming monitors. This UX contains presets for FPS, RTS, RPG, and AOS game genres, and also allows advanced calibrations to fine-tune picture quality. We can probably expect to see this feature set in the CH711 as well.

CES2017_CH711_CurvedMonitor_Attachment_5.jpg

The CFG70, which I think has its own thread here, is ultra wide and 144Hz. This appears to be a bit of a value version of that monitor. It definitely isn't ultrawide res, so I am hoping that's the primary feature offset. I've seen mention that the native refresh rate on the CH711 is 100 Hz, but haven't been able to confirm. If so, I'm in at any reasonable price point.

So anyone heard more details following CES? The press releases all predated CES.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Says the 60Hz comment was removed.

That's the make or break for me. If it ends up being 100Hz as a few have claimed, I'm likely to pull the trigger.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I think I'll stick with my Benq 3200PT. I don't think these will be massively better than it, plus I really like that little control puck :)

SirCanealot

Jan 12, 2013
I think I'll stick with my Benq 3200PT. I don't think these will be massively better than it, plus I really like that little control puck :)

I have the same monitor and that damn control puck makes me want to see if BenQ will update the 3200PT in any interesting ways! (Edit: There is a 4k model, but it's an IPS panel and not a VA panel and the 2500:1 VA panel is the main reason I got the 3200PT in the first place...)

I've seen a few other BenQ models with the puck, but it's made life so much easier for me! I have button 1 set to brightness, 2 set to user profile (accurate colours) and 3 set to a night mode profile (low blue light mode and brightness/contrast at 0). It's fantastic!

I'm really disappointed more manufacturers haven't looked at doing something like this.

Can I have a 3200PT with an OLED panel in it? Pretty please? :p

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I've been running 30" 2560x1600 for years, there's no way I'm reducing my desktop nor gaming resolution (vertical) to 1440.

Except for that, I'm encouraged by recent monitor developments. The 4K leap is a bit intimidating because of the GPU power needed for gaming, but specs are starting to improve significantly.

I have the money ready, but the market has not provided quite yet. I would have bought a revamped 30" 2560x1600 with 120hz+ and GSync if it came out today. I would have bought a 4K 32" with 120hz+ with Gsync too if there was one.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I've seen a few other BenQ models with the puck, but it's made life so much easier for me! I have button 1 set to brightness, 2 set to user profile (accurate colours) and 3 set to a night mode profile (low blue light mode and brightness/contrast at 0). It's fantastic!
Yeah I've found it to be really useful. I have one button for desktop, one for gaming, and the other to adjust brightness.

energee

Jan 27, 2011
The important question that nobody is asking is why is the coffee mug in the photo filled with what appears to be orange juice? That doesn't make any sense. :confused: