Anyone have experience with the following HT equipment?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
How are these brands/products?

Optoma (PD-50PX05 50" Plasma TV)
Niles (DS6.3 surround sound speakers)
Velodyne (SPL 1000 Series II subwoofer)
NEC (PX-42XM2A/S 42" HD Plasma TV)
BenQ (Q150 15" LCD)

How good is Niles audio equipment?

(This hardware is not for me. I am reviewing a proposal for AV equipment for some friends of mine in CA.) They are building a house with all sorts of goodies. For example, they're putting in six 50" plasma TVs and seven 15" LCD TVs...and that's just the TVs for the house.

Edit: They're also buying a Ferrari 360 Modena Spyder based on my suggestion :D

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
no idea, but I recomend getting quite a few dumb terminals for those lcd's, nothing better than google at every corner :)

DuffmanOhYeah

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
junk junk and more junk. I have no experience with the velodyne sub, but the displays you are asking about are crap. Niles is ok, depending on the application. they specialize in whole home entertainment. For just two separate speakers, I wouldn't go for them. If you want a plasma, go panasonic. You can get a 42 inch for under 3k. Best in the market.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Velodyne subs are good, esp. there SPL series, you can listen to them at Good Guys, if you're on the west coast. Niles are ok speakers.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
those brands are just OK, if they were cars, these are like your average honda accord, toyota camry, etc...so if they are buying a Ferrari, they should be looking at the ferrari of home theater stuff, which means krell, proceed, infocus for front projector, plasma I am not so sure, does Faroudja or Runco make plasma? speakers wise, maybe thiel, wilson, B&W...they stuff you listed are just OK and will make sound, just like an accord will get you from point A to point B, but for someone that has money and want to show off, you are looking at the wrong brands.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
oh the niles brand started off as an indoor and outdoor speakers, connectors, so no true auidophile or home theater buffs will use them as their main speakers, maybe a pair for their patio, garage. Unless they have changed a lot since then and became a totally auidophile speaker company.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DuffmanOhYeah
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
and what exactly do these people do?

They are a rags to riches story. Self-made people with a great business idea.

care to share the business idea??? :)

This is what they do:

...a nonprofit instrumentality of government that assists public agencies in reducing the cost of purchased goods through pooling the purchasing power of public agencies nationwide. This is accomplished through competitively solicited contracts for quality products through lead public agencies.

DuffmanOhYeah

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
and what exactly do these people do?

They are a rags to riches story. Self-made people with a great business idea.

care to share the business idea??? :)

This is what they do:

...a nonprofit instrumentality of government that assists public agencies in reducing the cost of purchased goods through pooling the purchasing power of public agencies nationwide. This is accomplished through competitively solicited contracts for quality products through lead public agencies.

hang on hang on hang on, they are a non-profit and they are buying a ferrari??? As well as the rest of the stuff? Que? No me comprende.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
not sure about anything but the sub.. and I'd recommend any Paradigm sub over a Velodyne any-day :)