anyone have experience with steams customer support for hijacked accounts?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I hope that I didnt get banned from any games while the person was using my account. Luckily he played mostly Counterstrike during the time, and I don't have any source games that I regularly play.

This is what gets me. Seriously, the guy can't shell out a few bucks for his own copy of Counter-Strike, so he hijacks someone else's entire Steam library just so he can play a few rounds of someone else's game? 'the hell?

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
This is what gets me. Seriously, the guy can't shell out a few bucks for his own copy of Counter-Strike, so he hijacks someone else's entire Steam library just so he can play a few rounds of someone else's game? 'the hell?

I dont think thats it, I think they hi-jack accounts and then sell them. I've had my account hi-jacked twice (before steamguard). Now with steamguard and a rediculously long pw that doesn't match a pw I use anywhere else, I haven't had any issues.

Each time I had my account jacked, I think it took around 3-4 days to get everything back. If you include the copies of the last few steam purchase emails, it makes things alot easier on thier end. Yes its slow, and yes it sucks.

The one thing you need to make sure of, is that your email tied to your steam account doesn't have the same PW as your steam account. Hell it is probably easier to hack most peoples emails and do a lost PW reset, than to hack through steam guard. So make sure you have a good PW on both steam and your email.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The problem with that is that he changed the email address, so the emails would have gone to him, not me. That said, I did check my CC account for the first three days for strange charges and I was not able to see any. I'll check again when I get home.

If he changed your email address, that means he hacked your email also. Since Steam would have sent a confirmation to change email request to your previous email.