Anyone have experience with Hyper-V?

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
i installed Windows Server 2008 without Hyper-V. I'm planning on installing this component at a later time, but haven't used it before. Have always been a VMWare guy. How easy is it to pick up on Hyper-V and have virtual machines running quickly?

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
Hyper-V has a graphical interface, so it will be reasonably easy to to install and manage VMs.

That being said, it is by far the worst hypervisor to work with if you need to manage it remotely.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Hyper-V has a graphical interface, so it will be reasonably easy to to install and manage VMs.

That being said, it is by far the worst hypervisor to work with if you need to manage it remotely.

Hyper-V manager can access any server. What type of management is it missing for you?

I use it daily for work and easily have 25 VMs on my one host machine. Works fine for me. :sneaky:

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
Hyper-V manager can access any server. What type of management is it missing for you?

I use it daily for work and easily have 25 VMs on my one host machine. Works fine for me. :sneaky:

Hyper-V is a complete pain in the ass to manage if you're using it outside of a Windows domain. In addition, even when it's set up properly, Hyper-V Manager crashes constantly when run from a remote workstation. You can RDP to the server console and run Hyper-V Manager there, but that can be a pain if you have more than a handful of hosts.

yinan

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2007

Only 25 VMs. It would probably die under the load the hosts at work are under.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
yes, it's pretty easy to set up and I have less than 15 VMs on my host, and it works quite well.
You probably need a better machine to run it than vmware, but so far it's working well.
I wish I could have waited until Server 8, but i'll try that when it comes out.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Only 25 VMs. It would probably die under the load the hosts at work are under.

Meh, it's only an SB 2600 with 16GB of RAM, and I give each VM 1GB. Most of those VMs are in a saved state. I forget what my second VM host box is.

Hyper-V is a complete pain in the ass to manage if you're using it outside of a Windows domain. In addition, even when it's set up properly, Hyper-V Manager crashes constantly when run from a remote workstation. You can RDP to the server console and run Hyper-V Manager there, but that can be a pain if you have more than a handful of hosts.

It's never crashed for me when using it remotely, actually...strange.