Anyone have experience using Samsung's RMA process for RAM?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I purchased some samsung "wonder" ram (the ULV 30NM slim ddr3 modules that everyone is price gouging) and one module is totally crap. It straight up won't post on my Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe and it got about 38 memtest errors when running it on my Gigabyte Z68MA-D2HB3.

I called up samsung and since this ram has a lifetime warranty they are willing to replace it. They couldn't answer clearly whether it would be replaced with the exact same module or not, as it's no longer manufactured, and they said it could take anywhere between a few days or 3 weeks depending on inventory.

has anyone had any experiences with samsung memory RMA?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I purchased some samsung "wonder" ram (the ULV 30NM slim ddr3 modules that everyone is price gouging) and one module is totally crap. It straight up won't post on my Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe and it got about 38 memtest errors when running it on my Gigabyte Z68MA-D2HB3.

I called up samsung and since this ram has a lifetime warranty they are willing to replace it. They couldn't answer clearly whether it would be replaced with the exact same module or not, as it's no longer manufactured, and they said it could take anywhere between a few days or 3 weeks depending on inventory.

has anyone had any experiences with samsung memory RMA?

No, but it's an interesting question you pose, and here is the reason I think so.

While I "missed out" on the fabled no-frills overclockable Samsung RAM modules, I finally made the jump from "accelerated HDD" to straight-up SSD boot drive with Samsung's RAPID feature. I probably had the drive for three months before I finally made this swing -- wanting to be sure that my HDD Windows configuration was tip-top.

So before I took the plunge, I tried several times -- SEVERAL! -- to use Samsung's tech-support e-mail for some questions I had. I set up a Samsung account, did everything you would do to assure support-ticket submission and obtain e-mail response. When you click the button to submit your question, nothing happens. You just . . . can't . . . get . . . through to them. Nothing wrong with my web-configuration. Nothing wrong with anything.

I've been able to submit questions to Intel, ASUS, WD and several other HW and SW companies -- some not requiring an "account." It often appears that some companies try to insulate themselves from tech-support queries and make support-ticket submission a bit convoluted. In this perspective, one suspects Samsung is exceptional by making ticket submission outright impossible.

Somebody could set me straight if I "missed something" on the Samsung web-pages, but I think not. I tried to successfully submit a tech-support question too many times, and I poked around through their web-pages until I was blue in the face.

ON THE OTHER HAND, their caveats about your RAM RMA seem little different from the disclaimers and caveats that informed RMAs of RAM I'd made with other companies and makes. Crucial was one example, and there were likely reasons for that, since Crucial at that time had been overwhelmed by more RMAs than they might have anticipated with the sort of specs they published for the modules.

I give my best acknowledgement to G.SKILL for their tech-support, and an ability to replace modules with the same model and spec. Between your experience and mine, with any other brand -- all bets are off other than the reasonable expectation they will honor the "lifetime" warranty in some way, even if it doesn't satisfy.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
well. I learned to never purchase Samsung RAM for their warranty ever again.
I called the number on this link
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/warranty/MV-3V4G3D/US

and spoke to another person, who told me very quickly "Samsung no longer manufacturers those chips and the warranty is no longer valid".

I was going to buy 16GB of Samsung ECC RAM for a server build I was going to make, but i think i'm going to go with Crucial now, even though it's an extra $30 bucks.

It looks like this "wonder" ram is ok if i run it at 1333 or less, but it won't run at the advertised 1600mhz. what a crock of BS!!!! I'm just happy that I got this ram cheap, I can use it at relaxed timings for a build i'm giving to my sister and that i didnt pay the ridiculous prices they are going for on ebay right now.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
well. I learned to never purchase Samsung RAM for their warranty ever again.
I called the number on this link
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/warranty/MV-3V4G3D/US

and spoke to another person, who told me very quickly "Samsung no longer manufacturers those chips and the warranty is no longer valid".

I was going to buy 16GB of Samsung ECC RAM for a server build I was going to make, but i think i'm going to go with Crucial now, even though it's an extra $30 bucks.

It looks like this "wonder" ram is ok if i run it at 1333 or less, but it won't run at the advertised 1600mhz. what a crock of BS!!!! I'm just happy that I got this ram cheap, I can use it at relaxed timings for a build i'm giving to my sister and that i didnt pay the ridiculous prices they are going for on ebay right now.

That's pretty s***ty -- about the warranty. Who can you trust anymore? You buy something because you think a warranty is a type of contract, then they crawfish on-ya!

Begin to wonder -- we have a Samsung TV, two Samsung SSDs. I was even lookin' at a Samsung refrigerator. Just another example of civilization going into the toilet. Look what they did to public employees in Detroit!

Who can you trust anymore?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
That's pretty s***ty -- about the warranty. Who can you trust anymore? You buy something because you think a warranty is a type of contract, then they crawfish on-ya!

Begin to wonder -- we have a Samsung TV, two Samsung SSDs. I was even lookin' at a Samsung refrigerator. Just another example of civilization going into the toilet. Look what they did to public employees in Detroit!

Who can you trust anymore?

Well, to be honest, I didn't expect much tech-support for this memory issue from a big conglomerate like samsung. I have a samsung washer/dryer less than 4 years old which haven't crapped out on me yet. I also however have a 40" samsung HDTV circa 2007 with blown capacitors. There was a class action lawsuit on the model that I owned which forced them to replace the bad part on all of those certain for the next 10 years or so. I called them up, gave them my model number and they sent a technician out within the week. Now if there wasnt a class action they probably would have told me to pound sand or pay a ridiculous amount for the part.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
So before I took the plunge, I tried several times -- SEVERAL! -- to use Samsung's tech-support e-mail for some questions I had. I set up a Samsung account, did everything you would do to assure support-ticket submission and obtain e-mail response. When you click the button to submit your question, nothing happens. You just . . . can't . . . get . . . through to them. Nothing wrong with my web-configuration. Nothing wrong with anything.

I've been able to submit questions to Intel, ASUS, WD and several other HW and SW companies -- some not requiring an "account." It often appears that some companies try to insulate themselves from tech-support queries and make support-ticket submission a bit convoluted. In this perspective, one suspects Samsung is exceptional by making ticket submission outright impossible.

Somebody could set me straight if I "missed something" on the Samsung web-pages, but I think not. I tried to successfully submit a tech-support question too many times, and I poked around through their web-pages until I was blue in the face.

I've got both a bunch of the "wonder RAM" and several SSD's from Samsung. While I've never had to RMA the RAM, I did have to RMA an 830 last year and completely understand your frustration. I, too, spent hours trying to set up some sort of return auth. via Samsung's website to no avail.

But, one phone call to their warranty service got the ball rolling very quickly and easily and the SSD was replaced in less than a week. And talking with the CSR on the phone during the call revealed Samsung has no way to set up an RMA for anything outside a phone call...no web interaction. That was odd.

The RAM......there were several batches made, some very "wonderous" and some not so great. I've had my sticks (I have 6 of them) have achieved 2133 speeds with 1.4V, but I've heard of others having to pump up to 1.6V or more to get the ludicrous speeds that are bandied about and I really have doubts this RAM can withstand the heavily increased voltages some are running through the stuff, hence the used RAM running around that errors all over the place.

skankinstein

Banned
May 13, 2014
That's what a lot of folks said. But I'll never get to find out: I don't know where you can find those modules anymore -- if it were even possible . . .

I have 16GB (4x4) of these magical sticks, so very lightly used from a 2013 3770K and ASrock mobo build. Never OC'd in original retail packaging if you want 'em. Just PM me.

SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096&name=Desktop-Memory

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I've got both a bunch of the "wonder RAM" and several SSD's from Samsung. While I've never had to RMA the RAM, I did have to RMA an 830 last year and completely understand your frustration. I, too, spent hours trying to set up some sort of return auth. via Samsung's website to no avail.

But, one phone call to their warranty service got the ball rolling very quickly and easily and the SSD was replaced in less than a week. And talking with the CSR on the phone during the call revealed Samsung has no way to set up an RMA for anything outside a phone call...no web interaction. That was odd.

The RAM......there were several batches made, some very "wonderous" and some not so great. I've had my sticks (I have 6 of them) have achieved 2133 speeds with 1.4V, but I've heard of others having to pump up to 1.6V or more to get the ludicrous speeds that are bandied about and I really have doubts this RAM can withstand the heavily increased voltages some are running through the stuff, hence the used RAM running around that errors all over the place.

You have the same RMA experience I did with my 840Pro. The website was total fail, but a simple call to the warranty contractor got me a refurb 840Pro in 3 days. I wasn't pleased with getting a refurb unit for a 'premium' SSD less than 1 year old, but, hey, they honored the warranty without questions at least.

I have 2 sticks of Samsung RAM in my desktop, I had them OC'ed to 1866 with some slightly tighter timings and it ran well. I started to get a memory crash now and then so I just dropped them down to stock... they have been fine since.

OP, I would try again... 'lifetime warranty' means, well, lifetime warranty. Just because they don't make that particular module any longer doesn't absolve them from their warranty obligation. Electronics are regularly phased out for newer/better stuff, they still have to honor the warranty of out-of-production stuff.