Anyone have a Western Digital "My Book" external drive?

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
I bought one this black Friday and it's a USB2.0 in a crummy cheap plastic enclosure. I have a lower capacity Firewire/USB2.0 drive in a much nicer aluminum enclosure and I want to swap the drives.

I looked at the seams on my "My Book" drive and I suspect the two halves of plastic casing are welded together. Does anyone know for sure if it's actually welded together?

LiLithTecH

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2002
I have only had experience with the WD MY BOOK II.

You need to snap the side cover off (only one side comes off).
WD has gone the way of Sony & Seagate and have their own
special made tamperproof wing-type screws.

Good luck.

Tarrant64

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2004
If you aren't going to use the enclosure, just break it. I would do that, but don't do what I say. :p

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Tarrant64
If you aren't going to use the enclosure, just break it. I would do that, but don't do what I say. :p

I don't mind putting my old drive in it so I can auction it off.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't know why you really want to remove it... my WD My Book is the only drive I've NEVER had get a USB write error in Windows. This comes from using USB enclosures from companies like Vantec, etc. It's also quite durable as a door fell (yes, a door) on my drive and it worked just fine... can't say much for my other enclosures that both had to have their drive replaced =/.

Although, if you really want to do it.. you do pretty much have to rip it apart as WD designed it not to be removed that easily. I know I've seen a couple tutorials on how to take the drives apart on the net, but I just can't remember where.