Anyone have a Toyota 4Runner how to get spare off?

TwoMix

Aug 1, 2001
Hey guys my friend has a flat on his 2000 4runner. He doesn't know how to get the spare off from underneath the car. Coudlnt find the service manual online. Please help its snowing here in nj!

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Usually there is a bolt under the carpet in the rear of the interior, so people don't have to crawl under it to get it.

ironxman99

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2000
open the trunk. at the base of the trunk right above the rear bumper, you'll see a hole. in one of the storage areas, or maybe under the rear seat, there should be a tool that you can insert and lower the spare tire with. keep turning it, most likely counter-clockwise, and you'll see the chain loosen underneath the car and the tire slowly dropping. then you can remove it from the metal plate that holds it up.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ironxman99
open the trunk. at the base of the trunk right above the rear bumper, you'll see a hole. in one of the storage areas, or maybe under the rear seat, there should be a tool that you can insert and lower the spare tire with. keep turning it, most likely counter-clockwise, and you'll see the chain loosen underneath the car and the tire slowly dropping. then you can remove it from the metal plate that holds it up.

lol it took me 2 hours to figure that out when my 4runner got a flat the first time.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80

lol it took me 2 hours to figure that out when my 4runner got a flat the first time.

Yeah, same here. Well, maybe only 20 minutes. :)

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: binister
Originally posted by: JS80

Yeah, same here. Well, maybe only 20 minutes. :)

But it only took me 20 minutes to remember it on the second tire change.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
At least you guys are honest and it makes sense the OP's friend is having problems.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, what did you say to him after he initially asked you for help? Did you say "Stay right there, I'll go ask AnandTech"?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: AdamK47
So, what did you say to him after he initially asked you for help? Did you say "Stay right there, I'll go ask AnandTech"?

lol