Anyone have a Mini Cooper?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My wife leases and is thinking about a Mini for her next ride. Any thoughts on this? She's coming from a Beetle.

Mellman

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2003
I got one to rob my friends armored cars when he moves his money around

dunno bout your wife...but they are good auto-xer's, and apparently fun to drive, would be a huge performance step up from a beetle...

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
We had two, one Cooper and one Cooper S. Fun cars, useless in snow over 5" or for hauling anything. They are lots of fun to drive. Get the S, the regular Cooper is gutless.

BTW, the 07 redesign comes out soon, you might want to wait for that.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Mellman

dunno bout your wife...but they are good auto-xer's, and apparently fun to drive, would be a huge performance step up from a beetle...

I dunno, even the base model Beetle is pretty zippy...she has an auto non-diesel non-turbo and it really has a lot of pickup, considering. She just uses it for work and around town, it's our "fun" car :)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
We had two, one Cooper and one Cooper S. Fun cars, useless in snow over 5" or for hauling anything. They are lots of fun to drive. Get the S, the regular Cooper is gutless.

Really that bad in snow? The Beetle handled surprisingly well in the snow last winter...

CombatChuk

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaido

Really that bad in snow? The Beetle handled surprisingly well in the snow last winter...

It's only bad when there's a lot of accumulation the low ground cleareance of the MINI makes it easy to high center it.

My wife loves hers, on her commute she gets 36mpg...

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

It's not that they are bad, but it's so low to the ground that you become a snow plow. It needed a running start to get in and out of the driveway. :laugh: The worst was when the snow was rutted from other people, because you are in the ruts and the middle of the car scrapes the built up snow.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

I wouldn't say it's a step up from the beetle.

My exgirlfriend had one, the throttle response is slow, it is nimble but not quick. It's cramped, but I'm a fairly tall guy.

I'd rather buy something else, quite expensive for what you get too.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: CombatChuk

It's only bad when there's a lot of accumulation the low ground cleareance of the MINI makes it easy to high center it.

My wife loves hers, on her commute she gets 36mpg...

Holy cow!! 36mpg is awesome :) I think the Beetle's best ever was 24mpg lol.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: RyanSengara

My exgirlfriend had one, the throttle response is slow, it is nimble but not quick. It's cramped, but I'm a fairly tall guy.

Wow...I just looked at leasing options and it comes out to about $500 a month...I could practically lease three of my Saturns for that lol.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've wanted one for years since I rented a convertible in Florida. Probably one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. I had the S version...suprisingly roomy, nimble as all get out, and throw you back in your seat quick! It had a CVT transmission too...it was strange not feeling any gear switches.

The non S verson is a bit underpowered I hear, but still a lot of fun. Don't get a Beetle- you'll get stuck driving it and you'll instantly be labeled gay :)

CombatChuk

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2000

Wow...I just looked at leasing options and it comes out to about $500 a month...I could practically lease three of my Saturns for that lol.

How do you have your optioned? We got the base model with the Premium package (Sunroof, computer, cruise, multi function steering-wheel) and it was less than 19000. MINI also have the best resale value so leasing should be very inexpensive.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

How do you have your optioned? We got the base model with the Premium package (Sunroof, computer, cruise, multi function steering-wheel) and it was less than 19000. MINI also have the best resale value so leasing should be very inexpensive.

Gutless cars, I stand by it. I don't exactly have the most ballsy car ever, but the mini was like riding a moped.

CombatChuk

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2000

Gutless cars, I stand by it. I don't exactly have the most ballsy car ever, but the mini was like riding a moped.

You must of never heard of downshifting...

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

My family has several sports cars, including a supercharged jaguar and my tricked out RSX, I know what downshifting is. I still say it has no balls, plus it's no fun shifting down in an automatic, I already feel as if I cashed my man card in by driving an AT as it is.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Fritzo
I've wanted one for years since I rented a convertible in Florida. Probably one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. I had the S version...suprisingly roomy, nimble as all get out, and throw you back in your seat quick! It had a CVT transmission too...it was strange not feeling any gear switches.

The non S verson is a bit underpowered I hear, but still a lot of fun. Don't get a Beetle- you'll get stuck driving it and you'll instantly be labeled gay :)

Nice, I didn't know they had CVT. As far as the Beetle goes, we already have one lol. Beetles are really popular in our area and even teenage males drive them (albeit tricked out with rims and spoilers and whatnot). If we decide to go with a Mini, we'll definitely go with the S model.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

My family has several sports cars, including a supercharged jaguar and my tricked out RSX, I know what downshifting is. I still say it has no balls, plus it's no fun shifting down in an automatic, I already feel as if I cashed my man card in by driving an AT as it is.

Yeah our current Beetle has that AT with shiftless manual...we've used it all of two times. It stinks for downshifting. Sometimes I play with shifting up, like when merging on the highway, but it's just not as much fun as a manual.

CombatChuk

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2000

So you haven't tried a Manual Transmission on a MINI?

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a Mini Cooper S and really like it. I never had much problem in the snow here last winter. We didn't get a whole ton of it though. The only snow issues is you get a LOT of slush flung up at you from other cars since it sits low. And your back window will be permanently blacked out from slush kicking up from your back tire. In fact, if I had one complaint about the car it would be how filthy the back hatch gets. Not even in snow, just when it rains it kicks it all up over the back window. But thats a fairly minor gripe.

I get 26mpg in the S - mixed city/highway driving.

Jun 14, 2003
i've hoyed a cooper s round a track for abit and it was great

handles really well, brakes were solid and it was rather comfy. the engine is a treat really, its not the most sophisticated unit in the world (im talkin about the current mini, not the new one which is on the immediate horizon) and its not particularly rev happy, but it pulls very well throughout the range, its a nicely torquey motor and provides a satisfying surge of power when you put your foot down, and its even better when its married to a super charger like in the S.

and perhaps the best thing about it, is BMW have successfully managed to erradicate torque steer completely. torque steers is a problem that plagues lots of FWD cars, and usually the more grunt they have the worse it gets, Vauxhall's VXR range of cars have horrific torque steer and understeer so bad its verging on dangerous.

the only problem i have with the mini is a fashion one. the car itself is a master piece, captures everything the original was about and brings it bang into the 21st century. But the people who buy...... you just get the feeling that people are not buying this car becuase its good, they are buying it because its fashionable, its a fashion accessory (at least it is here in the UK)

its like the Audi TT, (though that is a utterly boring car unlike the mini) its everyones generic idea of a cool car, and that makes it un-cool.

here in the UK i can walk through my uni campus and spot more mini's than pretty much any other car. its the choice of the metrosexual topman guy who follows the crowd. we call it genericism.... really dull, false people who aspire to be like everyone else.

its like an ipod in away, the ipod isnt the best the mp3 player, its sorely lacking in sound quality, but its apple, its fashionable and everyone buys it. only difference is the Mini is actually a good car..... right up there with the other hot hatches.

its a great little car, but i wouldnt buy one (not here anyway, may be different in america) simply because of the people who buy it in their droves because they just have to have it, like they just have to have the latest abercrombie gear