Anyone have a job that's easy for what you make?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Getting bit bored at my job... I can WFH 2-3x a week. And I've been coming home at 2-3pm, then log in from home.

I don't mind it for now.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Are you worried you're not needed and expendable? I can count with my 10 fingers how many hours I worked last month. If my wife and I didn't have a daughter in school and puppy to take care at home, we would have traveled for the entire month. I'm still in my pajamas at home drinking tea and relaxing. I love it.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Are you worried you're not needed and expendable? I can count with my 10 fingers how many hours I worked last month. If my wife and I didn't have a daughter in school and puppy to take care at home, we would have traveled for the entire month. I'm still in my pajamas at home drinking tea and relaxing. I love it.
I get my voice heard in meetings and they rely on me for team coordination and backlog management. I may get a new boss which may change things.

This won't last long - I'm enjoying it for now.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I think easy can depend on the person doing it. I do think my wife has a much worse difficulty / salary ratio than I do

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I haven't held a job in years and years...and they keep putting money into my bank account.

Reactions: Nikip88

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
I can count with my 10 fingers how many hours I worked last month. If my wife and I didn't have a daughter in school and puppy to take care at home, we would have traveled for the entire month. I'm still in my pajamas at home drinking tea and relaxing. I love it.

Wow that sounds like a great job.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I didnt know it at the time but being paid 5 bucks to mow a lawn was actually damn good money compared to most of the jobs that would follow.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
I've posted about this before, but I'm getting a doctor's emails:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ive-been-getting-a-doctors-mail.2523571/

Yesterday I had offers to take an hour's worth of surveys for over $150.

If I ever became unemployed, I think I could get by just on this guy's email offers. I'd have to bone up on ovarian cancer though.

I get offers like this every day:

5xirsl.jpg

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Wow that sounds like a great job.
I do my fair share of work during the busy summer season but winter months are little slower. We're only working on couple large projects right now and I have great group of guys who can handle everything for me. So they're out there busting their butt for me 5-6 days a week while I sit at home.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I knew a guy who was a hiring recruiter in the early 90s. He had enough people placed that his commissions were about $6K/mo (again, 25+ years ago). He worked about 5 hours a week, making a few phone calls to key customers just to keep them happy.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
NOC technician. I make like 33ish an hour. I actually hit 80k once. Some of my coworkers hit higher. (depends how many stats you work etc so higher seniority guys tend to get those days more)

Career wise it's not super high on the totem pole, but it's actually one of the highest paying non-management jobs at this division of the company. We're the only department on 40h weeks everyone else is on like 35, but since it's shift work I get lot of time off so it does not FEEL like 40 hour weeks.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I used to have a job where I babysat a data center off hours for $50 an hour. The hardest part of the job was staying awake, and I had tons of OT.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I used to have a job where I babysat a data center off hours for $50 an hour. The hardest part of the job was staying awake, and I had tons of OT.

That's basically what I do except for telco COs, and maybe about a thousand of them if I had to guess. Some are full size buildings while some may be tiny cabinets in middle of nowhere. I have stuff I can do though like watch movies and stuff if it's quiet, so that keeps me awake. Been working on a database system to put all our sites/buildings in so it's all in one place instead of a bunch of spreadsheets so that's been keeping me busy on my night shifts. And neffing of course. I'm a night owl so I actually prefer nights myself. When I'm on day shifts I just get so tired all the time and the days are so long.

When there are storms that roll in it gets crazy though. Christmas time tends to be prime for that. Need to track all the power outages, battery voltages etc and all the techs with generators and coordinate all of that. Then deal with downed poles, fibre lines, etc. That's when we really earn our pay.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I fix computers. Is it an easy job for what I make? I would say yes, for two reasons: first, I know what I'm doing, so it generally isn't "hard", and second, it's mostly knowledge work (aside from physically installing or removing a server or desktop or whatever), so it's not like I'm breaking my back sweating all day. It can be mentally exhausting at times, and it's a lot of hours (back up to ~70 hours a week now), but I get to nef a lot because some projects are just babysitting installations or backups or whatever, so it's not like I'm having to hustle 24/7. Working retail & working in food service were far more demanding jobs, and those were for minimum wage. I think, generally speaking, the higher up the payscale ladder you go, the less work you actually do & the less hard the jobs are.

I am assisting a buddy who is taking over for me at a big client as a full-time on-site guy. He is pretty new to production IT & for him, it is very rough because he doesn't know what he's doing (yet), so he's having to constantly learn new things, constantly figure out problems, meet deadlines, etc. Once you get a good foundation going & get your systems setup for your preferences, it is pretty easy to get things rolling along steadily. He is having a difficult time because stuff has to get done for uptime reasons, so he is constantly chugging away on things all day long, but he also knows how I roll & knows that he will get there eventually, and he's willing to learn & willing to work, so that makes a big difference. So for him, his job is not easy for what he makes, but I think eventually it will be.

GIT GUD!

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Generally the more you get paid the more you are paid "from the neck up" versus the neck down. I have to remind some of my laborers this every time they ask why I'm just pointing fingers.

"Man why don't you jump in here and help us rip this roof off"
"Hey can you fetch that 100lb roll for me"

Me: "I get paid from the neck up, you get paid from the neck down so no. I have been there and done that but I learned enough so that I don't have to anymore. Now go grab those rolls and put them over there (points finger)."

Fuckers should feel lucky, in my day things like lunch were very optional depending on how much shit we still had to get done by lunchtime. I learned to always have a can of Ravioli in my bucket just in case. Punch a whole in the top of it, set it on the asphalt kettle for a bit and it was good to go. Hell even things like water breaks, our water "breaks" were when we were near the water cooler with a free hand and were able to drink while we kept working or were quickly heading back to where we needed to be. These pussies need a dedicated 10 or 15 minutes to drink their water and still bitch and moan.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Actually it is kinda unfair how the harder jobs tend to pay less. Like working fast food... you could not pay me enough for that. It's pretty much on your feet all day in a gogogogogogogo high stress environment and minimum wage at that. Or roofing or anything in extreme conditions. FTS. I definitely consider myself lucky for my high paying job in a climate controlled building and a relatively low stress environment.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I haven't held a job in years and years...and they keep putting money into my bank account.
All thats required is being hit on the head by a backhoe, & winning your lawsuit.

Irony that a person who works in the sky gets hit by an Earth mover

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm paid well and I have fun at my job, but I do a lot of stuff and it isn't always easy. It's a good example of right person in the right position. I like to think I'm a good value for my employer.