Anyone have a GE Freezer?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
We're looking to buy a new Freezer and Samsclub only sells GE stuff. And of course since it's at Sams, it makes them a lot cheaper than anywhere else. But I've never owned a GE appliance so I'm just wondering if anyone has one and liked it or doesn't or wahtever.

I'd be buying a GE Upright Freezer in the 15-20 cu.ft. range.

Thanks,

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My mom had mostly GE appliances.
Her GE refrigerator/freezer unit's "defrost timer?" failed after about 6 or 7 years of use. It costed a hundred bucks or so to fix. I forget the total. After the repair it's been working good since
Her GE freezer (chest style, not upright) has been working fine for about 5 years, no problems thus far.
Her GE dishwasher totally died after about 5 years ... It was beyond repair so I purchased a new Kenmore.
Her GE Clothes Washer motor burned out after about 8 years of use ... It was also leaking water on the floor. I purchased for her a new Kenmore.

Personally I don't trust GE products for reliabillity. They serve their purpose well, but in my experience, they do not always last long. (however, I know in reality, that other brands have their problems too.)
I bought an upright 7.5 cu ft freezer from Sears for like $250 or so in the spring. I'm very happy with it. (Kenmore, rebadged frigidaire me thinks)
If you got Costco in the area ... you may want to find a friend that has a costco card and go check out what they have. Also, check out Sears, sometimes when they have something on sale it's close to the Sams Club price.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The one thing I read is that (for Freezers anyway), they are basically all made by the same companies in the beginning and then each company puts their own stuff on it.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/freezer-reviews/fullstory.html
Reviewers are quick to point out an interesting fact about U.S. freezers: They're all primarily manufactured by three companies, Frigidaire, W.C. Woods (based in Canada) and Haier. Frigidaire brands include Frigidaire, Gibson, Kenmore, and General Electric freezers, among others. W.C. Woods brands include Amana, Magic Chef, Maytag, Danby and Whirlpool. Haier makes smaller freezers for GE, Kenmore and Amana in addition to selling some models under its own name. Thus, it's no surprise that reviewers find no significant differences in efficiency and performance between brands of the same manufacturers (as long as they're new models of similar size and style). This also means that shoppers often pay a premium for high-profile names when the products are nearly identical. For example, Frigidaire freezers sometimes cost more than General Electric models and Maytag units may fetch a premium over Whirlpools.

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
The one thing I read is that (for Freezers anyway), they are basically all made by the same companies in the beginning and then each company puts their own stuff on it.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/freezer-reviews/fullstory.html
Reviewers are quick to point out an interesting fact about U.S. freezers: They're all primarily manufactured by three companies, Frigidaire, W.C. Woods (based in Canada) and Haier. Frigidaire brands include Frigidaire, Gibson, Kenmore, and General Electric freezers, among others. W.C. Woods brands include Amana, Magic Chef, Maytag, Danby and Whirlpool. Haier makes smaller freezers for GE, Kenmore and Amana in addition to selling some models under its own name. Thus, it's no surprise that reviewers find no significant differences in efficiency and performance between brands of the same manufacturers (as long as they're new models of similar size and style). This also means that shoppers often pay a premium for high-profile names when the products are nearly identical. For example, Frigidaire freezers sometimes cost more than General Electric models and Maytag units may fetch a premium over Whirlpools.

That's good to know

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
get one custom made with a dual compressor so can run your freezer at -90C