Anyone got a 981 Boxster (S)? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger (daily driver)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Corvette? The new Mustang is also very nice with a much upgraded interior than older models and miles better than the Camaro. A pretty decked out GT would be around the $40k mark with 6sp manual.

At 6'5" the OP might not be super comfortable in the vette (at least not a c7). I'm somewhere between 6'3 and 6'4 and honestly I can't see being comfortable at even an inch taller.

That being said, the newer boxter / cayman's are awesome cars. New I think they are a bit too expensive (especially the damn options). That being said, it's a very solid used choice (and among the best sports cars currently in production). At some point in my life I will own a cayman (hopefully with a turbo kit lol).

scootermaster

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2005
Now we're getting somewhere guys. Thanks.

I should probably (and will) post this in a Porsche forum, but I'm still trying to decide what options I "need".

For example, the Cayman I drove had the weird non-paddle shifters on the steering wheel. If memory serves, there's some magical steering wheel that's an option that has paddles? I feel like this was a point of contention for some in forum posts I read, but I can't remember if they liked the paddles or didn't. Anyone have any experience there?

And experience with anything else? PSM/PASM make the ride better/worse? PTV actually do anything off-track? Which convenience features are must-haves?

Anyway, thanks so far for the suggestions. I STILL really wish I could find that article detailing how the various features seemed to work on track on and off. A few options are nice to have, but too many is overwhelming! And I'm anal enough to worry about spending that much on a car and then missing out on something like cup holders.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Everything else you're comparing it to is crap. Subaru BRZ? Seriously? Are you 15 years old?

Out of curiosity, why the hate for the BRZ? I've got heated leather seats, touchscreen/bluetooth stereo, dual zone A/C, awesome suspension, a lower center of gravity than 90% of cars on the road, and decent looks for under $30k. Only complaint would be it needs more power. OP seems to have a decent amount of funds available. $6k will get a BRZ to Boxster S power levels (or more) with 200lbs less weight and no Porsche tax on parts. Oh plus save $25k+. Closer to $40k depending on the year of Boxster. He could get a BRZ, turbo/supercharge it, AND get an Accord as well for the price of the Boxster.

Don't get me wrong, I like expensive cars. I'd give my left nut for a 458 or Gallardo. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate more economical options.

tortillasoup

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2011
Out of curiosity, why the hate for the BRZ? I've got heated leather seats, touchscreen/bluetooth stereo, dual zone A/C, awesome suspension, a lower center of gravity than 90% of cars on the road, and decent looks for under $30k. Only complaint would be it needs more power. OP seems to have a decent amount of funds available. $6k will get a BRZ to Boxster S power levels (or more) with 200lbs less weight and no Porsche tax on parts. Oh plus save $25k+. Closer to $40k depending on the year of Boxster. He could get a BRZ, turbo/supercharge it, AND get an Accord as well for the price of the Boxster.

Don't get me wrong, I like expensive cars. I'd give my left nut for a 458 or Gallardo. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate more economical options.

The ironic part is that a boosted BRZ is probably going to have the same or better reliability than the Porsche anyhow.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Motortrend's take on Crawford Performance's BRZ:

At the drag strip, the turbocharged BRZ hit 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and finished the quarter-mile in 12.8 seconds at 116.8 mph. With upgraded brakes, the BRZ stops consistently from 60 mph in 106 feet. On the figure-eight, the BRZ's 23.5 second lap time at 0.78 g puts it in the same league as the Audi R8 V10 Plus, Ferrari 458 Italia, and SRT Viper.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/nearly-50...ted-on-new-ignition-378811.html#ixzz3Os2pcHp6

Doesn't seem to shabby an out the door cost of roughly $40k.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I'm not hating on it, I just find it hard to believe that anyone would cross shop those two cars. It doesn't compare at all to the Boxster. Most Porsche buyers want the prestige and luxury that comes with a Porsche. Quite a few BRZ buyers want to modify. It is the quintessential boy racer car at the moment. Completely different type of buyer.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
I'm not hating on it, I just find it hard to believe that anyone would cross shop those two cars. It doesn't compare at all to the Boxster. Most Porsche buyers want the prestige and luxury that comes with a Porsche. Quite a few BRZ buyers want to modify. It is the quintessential boy racer car at the moment. Completely different type of buyer.

I thought about both the BRZ and the cayman prior to purchasing my vette. I didn't cross shop a tesla or accord though.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I thought about both the BRZ and the cayman prior to purchasing my vette. I didn't cross shop a tesla or accord though.

I'm curious, how did the BRZ drive? What were your impressions? What kept you from buying it over the Vette?

What were your impressions of the Cayman? Everyone I've talked to who has either owned one or driven one absolutely loved it. I've never driven one personally.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
M235i convertible when it comes out? Though it'll most likely be over budget if you're buying. I'd also just drive the 370Z so you can rule it out. It can be optioned with BT, nav, etc. so I don't know where you were getting the info it didn't.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002

I thought about both the BRZ and the cayman prior to purchasing my vette. I didn't cross shop a tesla or accord though. I didn't want to modify a new car, so the BRZ was out (not enough power stock), and I dismissed the cayman because I would rather have a new vette than a used cayman. Both still nice cars, but I'm obviously a vette fan and a bit biased.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I thought about both the BRZ and the cayman prior to purchasing my vette. I didn't cross shop a tesla or accord though. I didn't want to modify a new car, so the BRZ was out (not enough power stock), and I dismissed the cayman because I would rather have a new vette than a used cayman. Both still nice cars, but I'm obviously a vette fan and a bit biased.

Did you actually test drive a BRZ or a Cayman?

scootermaster

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2005
This is a good discussion, guys. Perhaps we've learned a lesson here:

Just because you buy -- or think about buying -- a certain type of car, that doesn't mean you're that sort of person.

I looked at/drove the BRZ because it looked cool and got good reviews, and because Toyota doesn't make a Supra anymore (RIP). I wanted something fast, fun, inexpensive and reliable.

I drove the Accord because I liked the look of the coupe, and because I originally thought the BRZ wasn't an option (too small). It's actually a VERY nice car, and, frankly, is nicer to drive (at least in a straight line) than a stock BRZ.

I thought about the 370z because I figured I could spend a little more money.

I drove the Cayman because I figured I could spend a LOT more money.

I thought about the 33X convertible because I thought maybe, for the money, I might get more "use" out of a convertible than a Porsche.

I thought about the Tesla because I'm a techie and they're phenomenal cars.

And then I [at least for now] settled on the Boxster because it checks ALL the boxes.

Regardless of what "type" of person I am (fanboi, modder, "kiddie", rich white dude, idiot, etc.) that is a reasonable process, no?

So let's stop labeling people, and realize that they're just cars, they're fun, and people will buy what they want!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Regardless of what "type" of person I am (fanboi, modder, "kiddie", rich white dude, idiot, etc.) that is a reasonable process, no?

So let's stop labeling people, and realize that they're just cars, they're fun, and people will buy what they want!

Here's how I go about buying a car. First I figure out what I want/need in a car. What do I want it to do? What do I need it to do? What features would be nice? What is mandatory? Then I start researching and reading reviews about the various cars I'm considering.

I may start this process a year or more before I plan on making a purchase. I'm always interested in cars and reading about them plus I have decades of experience and yes, some bias, so I have a pretty good idea about what the good ones are and what I plan to avoid. I go to the Los Angeles auto show every year so I have probably already sat in the cars I'm interested in.

After all this I will visit a few dealers and test drive a few models which inevitably eliminates some and keeps others in the running. I also check online to see what low mileage pre-owned cars might be for sale and test drive some of those. Then, when I get really serious about a purchase I contact my insurance company and put some quote requests out to various local dealers to see who has the best offer.

I would never buy a car without test driving it first and I wouldn't say that I seriously considered buying any car that I haven't actually driven.

One more thing, if you sell cars and you attempt to use high pressure sales tactics on me I'm walking and I'll never set foot in your showroom again. There is way too much competition out there for me to put up with that bullshit.

Some of the cars I drove before I bought my current car:

Ford Focus Titanium (worst dealership experience ever and the reason I never bothered to test drive the Fusion)
Toyota Avalon (the current model)
Lexus GS350 (1 year old 11k miles)
Mercedes-Benz C350 Coupe (1 year old 11k miles-I really liked this car :wub: )
Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE (top of the line model)

I ended up with a new Camry Hybrid. Main reasons are the length of my commute makes owning expensive German/Japanese Luxury cars more cost prohibitive and that I really need a car with 4 doors as I have a 12 year old son. City fuel economy is far better than any of the other cars I was considering too. It is cheap, comfortable, reliable and economical. Meets all my needs except for performance... which isn't really a need, more of a want. I have a motorcycle when I need to scratch that itch though. ;)

If performance and fun to drive is most important to you then I guess you might have a somewhat broader base of cars to look at and that might include 4 door sedans or 2 door ragtops. It's nice to have choices.

Last edited:

tortillasoup

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2011
Here's how I go about buying a car. First I figure out what I want/need in a car. What do I want it to do? What do I need it to do? What features would be nice? What is mandatory? Then I start researching and reading reviews about the various cars I'm considering.

I may start this process a year or more before I plan on making a purchase. I'm always interested in cars and reading about them plus I have decades of experience and yes, some bias, so I have a pretty good idea about what the good ones are and what I plan to avoid. I go to the Los Angeles auto show every year so I have probably already sat in the cars I'm interested in.

After all this I will visit a few dealers and test drive a few models which inevitably eliminates some and keeps others in the running. I also check online to see what low mileage pre-owned cars might be for sale and test drive some of those. Then, when I get really serious about a purchase I contact my insurance company and put some quote requests out to various local dealers to see who has the best offer.

I would never buy a car without test driving it first and I wouldn't say that I seriously considered buying any car that I haven't actually driven.

One more thing, if you sell cars and you attempt to use high pressure sales tactics on me I'm walking and I'll never set foot in your showroom again. There is way too much competition out there for me to put up with that bullshit.

Some of the cars I drove before I bought my current car:

Ford Focus Titanium (worst dealership experience ever and the reason I never bothered to test drive the Fusion)
Toyota Avalon (the current model)
Lexus GS350 (1 year old 11k miles)
Mercedes-Benz C350 Coupe (1 year old 11k miles-I really liked this car :wub: )
Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE (top of the line model)

I ended up with a new Camry Hybrid. Main reasons are the length of my commute makes owning expensive German/Japanese Luxury cars more cost prohibitive and that I really need a car with 4 doors as I have a 12 year old son. City fuel economy is far better than any of the other cars I was considering too. It is cheap, comfortable, reliable and economical. Meets all my needs except for performance... which isn't really a need, more of a want. I have a motorcycle when I need to scratch that itch though. ;)

If performance and fun to drive is most important to you then I guess you might have a somewhat broader base of cars to look at and that might include 4 door sedans or 2 door ragtops. It's nice to have choices.
I have a friend that owns a Camry Hybrid (2013) it's a great car through and through.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Did you actually test drive a BRZ or a Cayman?

Sorry about my earlier posts... apparently I must have hit reply and then the back button... continued to write... and repost lol. I didn't mean to quote you twice.

Yes I've driven both. The BRZ that I've driven is a friend's car, and it's an automatic. Nice car, but underpowered. I'm not saying it needs the full package from crawford, but it could use some more hp and torque. Factory turbo would be just fine I'm sure.

I've driven used caymans (I try to "test drive" one every time I see a decent used one at a local dealer). I've driven 5 of them in the past 2 years or so (all were between 06 and 09 I think). They are delightful. I haven't driven anything newer.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Sorry about my earlier posts... apparently I must have hit reply and then the back button... continued to write... and repost lol. I didn't mean to quote you twice.

Yes I've driven both. The BRZ that I've driven is a friend's car, and it's an automatic. Nice car, but underpowered. I'm not saying it needs the full package from crawford, but it could use some more hp and torque. Factory turbo would be just fine I'm sure.

I've driven used caymans (I try to "test drive" one every time I see a decent used one at a local dealer). I've driven 5 of them in the past 2 years or so (all were between 06 and 09 I think). They are delightful. I haven't driven anything newer.

I haven't driven either one but I'm sure I would be wanting more power from the BRZ.

I really need to drive a Cayman. I've driven an older 911 but that was a few years ago.

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
My brother bought an older Boxster (aka the one with RMS issue). Against my advice, he purchased it. When I drove it, I too fell in love with the car. It just puts smile on your face when you get behind the wheels. His has manual transmission.

I can see why you would prefer newer Boxster against rest of the choices. People who are telling you to buy something else have never actually driven a Boxster!

CombatChuk

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2000
Here's a list of cars that might be interesting to you

Lotus Exige
Lotus Elise (Very cheap used and reliable)
Tesla Roadster (Not the Model S)
Alfa Romeo 4C (Those start around your ceiling), but drive amazingly

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Here's a list of cars that might be interesting to you

Lotus Exige
Lotus Elise (Very cheap used and reliable)
Tesla Roadster (Not the Model S)
Alfa Romeo 4C (Those start around your ceiling), but drive amazingly

They are amazing cars but if you're close to or over 6' tall you will have trouble just getting in and out of it gracefully.

Watch for badly repaired damage to the front clam, especially the lower portion which is very low and easy to hit on things like parking lot stops and curbs. The front and rear clams cost about $15k each and if damaged they need to be replaced as a single unit.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
They are amazing cars but if you're close to or over 6' tall you will have trouble just getting in and out of it gracefully.

Watch for badly repaired damage to the front clam, especially the lower portion which is very low and easy to hit on things like parking lot stops and curbs. The front and rear clams cost about $15k each and if damaged they need to be replaced as a single unit.

I've always wanted an elise/exige... but yeah I crossed it off the list for that reason. No way I could drive that comfortably every day. Didn't even go drive one... always drool over them though... so cool

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I've always wanted an elise/exige... but yeah I crossed it off the list for that reason. No way I could drive that comfortably every day. Didn't even go drive one... always drool over them though... so cool

I rented one for 4 days once. Loved the car but yeah, they're about as practical as a motorcycle. I had to watch a youtube video just to figure out the most graceful way to get in and out of it. It is easy with the top off but with it fitted it becomes a real chore.

Think of it as crawling through an opening that is maybe 3' tall and about 6 inches off the ground with a sill that is almost a foot wide and there is a steering wheel in the way.

At about the 5 minute mark you can see Jeremy Clarkson climb out of an Exige S. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mBEgkuEoew

How not to get in and out of a Lotus Elise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RUqeg8_hR8

This guy does it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aJkf-VXio

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

The one thing that has always made me skeptical about a BRZ/Subaru has been dependability issues and repairs.

Even with a Porsche, it just seems I'd heard maintaining either can be a bit costly.

I could be wrong I guess, but just one reasons I've never tried one out I suppose.

Lotus also, I used to work with a guy that worked making them there in the 70's I think it was, he had dual citizenship from GB.

I'm still pondering selling our Jeep Cherokee the wife is still driving, giving her control of the MX-3, which she loves to drive and looking into an older used MX-5 for a daily myself.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The one thing that has always made me skeptical about a BRZ/Subaru has been dependability issues and repairs.

Even with a Porsche, it just seems I'd heard maintaining either can be a bit costly.

I could be wrong I guess, but just one reasons I've never tried one out I suppose.

Lotus also, I used to work with a guy that worked making them there in the 70's I think it was, he had dual citizenship from GB.

I'm still pondering selling our Jeep Cherokee the wife is still driving, giving her control of the MX-3, which she loves to drive and looking into an older used MX-5 for a daily myself.

The powerplant in the Elise (at least the one sold here in the United States) is straight out of the Toyota Celica. It is mildly tuned by Lotus but the powertrain itself is pretty much bulletproof.