Anyone going to the Chicago Tax Day Tea Party?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Text

Text

Text

Even though the Lemon Party sign is a joke, it still makes 100% more sense than calling the protests Tea Parties. I guess it's not really news that there is a dearth of creative types on the right. And the free market sign in the background of the middle link makes no sense. Was it not complete deregulation that got us into this mess or have I missed something?

I guess I should have gone to one of these things to find out of anyone really understood what they were protesting. I suspect not much more than the average person who protested bush. "We don't know what we want, but we know what we don't want" isn't really a productive position.

I have yet to hear any solutions other than letting the commercial paper market collapse (along with everything else). I lack any type of welding or metal cutting tools to reinforce my truck Mad Max-style against hordes of roving armed bandits, so I'll take the current plan.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I was at the the one in DC and there were a lot of folks there from both sides of the aisle. Not a single one of them reacted poorly when I said that "I voted for Obama, but I didn't vote for this shit."

All-in-all, it was a pretty lame event primarily due to the heavy rain and the inexpected cancellation of the main protest. What I'd really like to know is who, specifically, yanked the permits for the primary event in front of the Treasury building -- on the morning of the event itself! That was shady as hell.

There were a lot of great people there though.. from every piece of the political spectrum.

Bah... anyways, whatever. You guys can now return to your partisan circle-jerk...

trooper11

Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: dainthomas

Even though the Lemon Party sign is a joke, it still makes 100% more sense than calling the protests Tea Parties. I guess it's not really news that there is a dearth of creative types on the right. And the free market sign in the background of the middle link makes no sense. Was it not complete deregulation that got us into this mess or have I missed something?

I guess I should have gone to one of these things to find out of anyone really understood what they were protesting. I suspect not much more than the average person who protested bush. "We don't know what we want, but we know what we don't want" isn't really a productive position.

I have yet to hear any solutions other than letting the commercial paper market collapse (along with everything else). I lack any type of welding or metal cutting tools to reinforce my truck Mad Max-style against hordes of roving armed bandits, so I'll take the current plan.

oh there are plenty of creative types on the right, they just didnt participate in this. there was no such thing as 'complete deregulation'. the problem started becuase some politicians decided to push an agenda that resulted in a seriosu lack of regulation enforcement. That lack of enforcement allowed for the greed that resulted (both in the private sector and governement).

as far as other solutions, I could have sworn there were other proposals that were quickly shelved becuase of the push for the current plan. Personally, I really want to hear the other plans becuase Im not too happy with the spending. I know there are other reasonable ideas though, its jsut hard to find someone laying those out.

trooper11

Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse
I was at the the one in DC and there were a lot of folks there from both sides of the aisle. Not a single one of them reacted poorly when I said that "I voted for Obama, but I didn't vote for this shit."

All-in-all, it was a pretty lame event. What I'd really like to know is who, specifically, yanked the permits for the primary event in front of the Treasury building -- on the morning of the event itself! That was shady as hell.

Anyways, you guys can now return to your partisan circle-jerk...

Great to hear that. I hope more people chime in on their personal experiences. Its obvious that just relying on the media isnt going to tell the whole story.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: trooper11
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Racially motivated arguments FTW! :thumbsup: :laugh:

wait, I thought republicans where the only racists?

If I had a nickle for every time a right-winger tried to use sarcasm about what they think the left believes, I could pay a really tiny bit of the TARP cost

(it'd be a lot of money.)

But it does show the cause of one of their common misunderstandings, how often they have these errors in what they think liberals stand for.

Anyway, here's a note from a liberal who attended a tea party and spoke to them, who was disappointed her liberal friends would not go, but who beleive that 'engaging them respectfully' was worthwhile, and had a lot os nice things to say.

[Her sign] "Why did Treasury let AIG close out the CREDIT DEFAULT SWAPS"at 100 cents on the dollar."

The question I wrote on the sign is a question that my heroine, Gretchen Morgenson at The New York Times, has been asking since Autumn. The Treasury hasn't given her a proper answer, so I doubt they'll answer me. It gets to the heart of how little oversight we're allowed for our nearly trillion dollar bank bailout. And that same question tells you how very broken our government is.

And that is something we all agreed on today. Our political system is broken. The economic crisis is the result.

But I really commend you and thank you for attending the tea party - I tried to get my liberal and progressive friends to come out and cheerfully and good-naturedly and RESPECTFULLY engage the Tea Party attendees, and almost everyone turned me down. They apparently think conservatism is contagious. Hogwash.

As a liberal progressive who's been a lifelong Democrat, I have to say that everyone at the Tea Party was very nice to me, even though I had a different point of view, and we found a lot of common ground against the bailout. They really listened, and I listened too.

The best part was when a lovely older woman who first disagreed with me came around to thinking about the situation in a new way, and then she clasped my hand in hers, and could hardly let go. At that moment when we forgot our differences to focus on a goal we could help to achieve, America was stronger.

This is a nerve-wracking time for retirees like herself, and it was instructive to me to remember that I wasn't there as some kind of social experiment, but because like all Americans, I am worried about what will happen to actual people.

And so I am really grateful that you took the time to come and listen to all of us today.

To the wonderful Tea Party attendees, this liberal Democrat says, let's forget these silly arguments about hot-button social issues, so we can join together to fight the bank bailout. After all, a trillion dollars is nothing do sneeze at!

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
There's nothing really wrong with the tea parties although the Left will get all agitated and say a lot of really dumb things. The problem is these people waited too long and are doing it because the Dems are in power. Wake the F up.

I welcome them to the party, even if they're late and here for the wrong reasons.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: cwjerome
There's nothing really wrong with the tea parties although the Left will get all agitated and say a lot of really dumb things. The problem is these people waited too long and are doing it because the Dems are in power. Wake the F up.

I welcome them to the party, even if they're late and here for the wrong reasons.

What I have been wondering is where were these tea partiers over the last eight years.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Originally posted by: cwjerome

What I have been wondering is where were these tea partiers over the last eight years.

Are you *really* this partisan?

2007 budget deficit $160b
2009 budget deficit $1.8t

edit - it's too late in the night to sort through numbers of deficit of the public debt vs. national debt, etc. But you get the point. 2008 & 2009 spending has just exploded. And I'm sure over the past 8 years the public was under the false assumption that the war would end sooner and that gov't spending would come back under control. Neither has worked out, and Obama's own plans clearly show he has no interest at all in cutting spending.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
If I had a nickle for every time a right-winger tried to use sarcasm about what they think the left believes, I could pay a really tiny bit of the TARP cost

I'd like to see that happen. You ain't getting rich off nickles.

Now if I had a nickel for every time you use sarcasm about what you think "the right" believes, I could pay back the full national debt with plenty left over for a handsome early retirement :D

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Originally posted by: Craig234

I'd like to see that happen. You ain't getting rich off nickles.

Now if I had a nickel for every time you use sarcasm about what you think "the right" believes, I could pay back the full national debt with plenty left over for a handsome early retirement :D

Oh, really? You can cite three examples then, out of the many, right? (Note,I'm referring to 'ioncorrectly believes'). Or, did you just add one to th list I referred to? Give me a nickel.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: cubby1223

edit - it's too late in the night to sort through numbers of deficit of the public debt vs. national debt, etc. But you get the point. 2008 & 2009 spending has just exploded. And I'm sure over the past 8 years the public was under the false assumption that the war would end sooner and that gov't spending would come back under control. Neither has worked out, and Obama's own plans clearly show he has no interest at all in cutting spending.

President Obama would probably really spend a lot if there were some sort of economic downturn requiring stimulus and a need to prevent the collapse of the financial system.