Anyone going to the Chicago Tax Day Tea Party?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Insomniator
Originally posted by: RKDaley

haha in the middle of trenton, but NO black/minorities there. WHAT A SURPRISE!!! PEOPLE THAT DON'T PAY TAXES NOT SUPPORTING THE RALLY? WEIRD.

Are you saying blacks and minorities do not pay taxes?

Why do I come to this forum.

I am saying that a larger percentage of the minority population do not pay income tax compared to whites. They love this redistribution/large gov bullshit.

I should know by now not to say anything here that isn't 100% crystal clear fact with sources supporting it. Apparently obvious generalizations are outlawed.

Tell you what I'll trade you white salary and employment statistics and you can have black rate of paying taxes and call it a day.

BTW - everyone with an over the table job pays taxes (FICA)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Leave it to the morons in the GOP to have nationwide tea parties when Obama has lowered taxes on the vast majority of Americans.

:thumbsdown: for stupidity.
oh really... and what will your kids or grandkids be paying in taxes? so short sighted its sickening.
You tell me. You apparently have the crystal ball.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Citrix
Leave it to the morons in the GOP to have nationwide tea parties when Obama has lowered taxes on the vast majority of Americans.

:thumbsdown: for stupidity.
oh really... and what will your kids or grandkids be paying in taxes? so short sighted its sickening.
You tell me. You apparently have the crystal ball.

na go for it im busy.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Repugs are so hypocritical with this. They're so upset with losing power that they'll do anything - anything to disrupt. Where were they when the bushies were bending over the citizens the last eight years?

I think it's the same around the country in that no politicians are allowed to participate. Or at least they can't speak.

I think I'm going to my local one here in central NY. For me personally I'm tired of watching the taxes I pay go to people who abuse them; spend them in countries when they could have benefited us, etc.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
I just went to the chicago one. Pretty cool. A lot more younger people than I expected. There was on crazy guy that was advocating not paying taxes because "it wasn't in the constitution." People in the protest were like "get away from me.. urgh.. he doesn't represent us". There was an acorn person trying to pass out handouts and proselytizing, but people didn't really take him seriously - people were more like, "WTF are you doing here". Took pictures with my cell phone. There were a few good banners. One of them had a picture of Obama, Pelosi, and geithner together. On the top of the picture, it read "The three stooges"..

In any case, good to know, in the sea of liberals, there were a good number of fiscal conservatives. :) we should have more of these. Shocked nobody was selling swag. I wanted a souvenir, e.g., tshirt, bumper sticker, etc. to show my support.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: eleison
There were a few good banners. One of them had a picture of Obama, Pelosi, and geithner together. On the top of the picture, it read "The three stooges"..

So who exactly are these peoples' heroes? Ron Paul? Anyone there offer any alternatives or was it all just "we don't like this. we have no idea what to do, but this isn't it."

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Just got back from the party in Trenton. Am going to go back in a few, just had to pick up my jacket from work.

Its a great time, I don't know if it is going to do anything at all but its nice to know some other people in this country aren't dumb as fuck.

Maybe people will wake up.

haha in the middle of trenton, but NO black/minorities there. WHAT A SURPRISE!!! PEOPLE THAT DON'T PAY TAXES NOT SUPPORTING THE RALLY? WEIRD.

Attn: Republicans. This is what's wrong with your party.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
I just got back from the one in Jacksonville. There were a lot of kids and young people along with the older folk. I really enjoyed the speeches. Most were very short but all were meaningful, non partisan, and thought provoking. One final note: when it was all over everyone picked up there own trash and left peacefully.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: jonks
There were a few good banners. One of them had a picture of Obama, Pelosi, and geithner together. On the top of the picture, it read "The three stooges"..

So who exactly are these peoples' heroes? Ron Paul? Anyone there offer any alternatives or was it all just "we don't like this. we have no idea what to do, but this isn't it."

There was a Ron Paul supporter. He wasn't really harassed. People looked at him and decided, hey as long as he doesn't support people who tax us to death.

Alternatives were the following:

1) Stop taxing us to death.
2) Stop taxing business to death while we still have some jobs left
3) Stop bailout for big corporations that do nothing
4) Obama, Geithner, and Pelosi are incompetent and people need to stand against them.
5) USA is a great country but the people in power need to change course before we become a third world.

Also, a lot of people had the yellow Gadsden flag, which were pretty cool. I thought maybe someone was selling them. Looked around but they weren't being sold.

Basically, everyone was cool and civil. A lot of families were there also.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Why do they require a hero?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

There was a Ron Paul supporter. He wasn't really harassed. People looked at him and decided, hey as long as he doesn't support people who tax us to death.

4) Obama, Geithner, and Pelosi are incompetent and people need to stand against them.
5) USA is a great country but the people in power need to change course before we become a third world.

Also, a lot of people had the yellow Gadsden flag, which were pretty cool. I thought maybe someone was selling them. Looked around but they weren't being sold.

Did anyone mention why it's being called a tea party when the original tea party was protesting a tax cut? Couldn't somebody think of a name that was still catchy and actually made sense?

Regardless of that though, your first and second points have little basis. US taxes (both personal and corporate) are fairly moderate and are actually historically low (especially compared to early-mid 20th century).

Besides, the alternative to the bailout program was to let the commercial paper market get nuked and then millions of people would stop getting paid. Huge deficits are not ideal, but they're surely better than massive riots in every city followed by global depression.

I'm completely open to hearing what (realistic) action should have been taken when this all started.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: dainthomas

Did anyone mention why it's being called a tea party when the original tea party was protesting a tax cut? Couldn't somebody think of a name that was still catchy and actually made sense?

Regardless of that though, your first and second points have little basis. US taxes (both personal and corporate) are fairly moderate and are actually historically low (especially compared to early-mid 20th century).

Besides, the alternative to the bailout program was to let the commercial paper market get nuked and then millions of people would stop getting paid. Huge deficits are not ideal, but they're surely better than massive riots in every city followed by global depression.

I'm completely open to hearing what (realistic) action should have been taken when this all started.

Sure, the new tea partiers are just protesting Obama's tax cut. Don't mention that U.S. taxes are some of the lowest in the developed world.

Logic has never entered their little heads. They're just mad because they voted for Bush and he failed them.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: dainthomas

Because it gave Keith Olberman so much fun doing double entendres on his show last night.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Leave it to the GOP to recycle a 236 year-old idea! Ha! The party of no new ideas, indeed!

(I can keep this up all day...)

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Well I didnt get a chance to go because I was called into work for some reason?

Anyways, looking at all the news articles, or the lack of them, sure makes me wonder about all of these sites. For example the Chicago Tribune is the only credible source I could find that even remotely had and article or two about it. Also the editorial of the protest wanted to make it look like a mob of republicans were protesting and going on a rampage against Obama.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Andrew1990

Anyways, looking at all the news articles, or the lack of them, sure makes me wonder about all of these sites. For example the Chicago Tribune is the only credible source I could find that even remotely had and article or two about it. Also the editorial of the protest wanted to make it look like a mob of republicans were protesting and going on a rampage against Obama.

You realize that there's an article about the tea parties on the front page of CNN.com, NYTimes.com, MSNBC.com, CBSnews.com, and Washingtonpost.com as I write this, right? In fact, there was a link to an article about them on every single news site I visited without exception.

Must be that damn 'librul' media trying to hide it in plain sight!

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Andrew1990

so because you can't find the front page articles that i just found on nearly every credible news source out there, there's a vast liberal conspiracy in the media?

edit: knew i was too slow. well done eskimo... though it wasn't terribly hard :beer:

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Must be that damn 'librul' media trying to hide it in plain sight!

Andrew1990 must belong to the paranoid conservative underground tea bagging association!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel49
I'm anxiously awaiting the Republican's Fingerbang Days, July 18-20. Be there!

Link

Are you the organizer?

Nope, I think it's that porky b!tch, Neil Cavuto with sideshow rodeo clown, Glenn Beck. You'd love it.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Nope, I think it's that porky b!tch, Neil Cavuto with sideshow rodeo clown, Glenn Beck. You'd love it.

The part I find so amusing is that those rightwingnuts don't have a clue about the colloquial use of the term, but they're the kind guys who would enjoy teabagging. :shocked:

1. tea-bag

Dipping your testicles into the open mouth of another person. Kind of like dipping a tea bag in and out of a cup of water.
  2. Tea-Bag

when a guy puts his balls in someones mouth.
    (continues ad nauseum)

:laugh:

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I just want to hear a sane argument on why the stimulus package that reinvests in Americans is a bad idea?

I am not a Democrat, or a Republican.

I support the stimulus package.

My major is economics.