Anyone going to the Chicago Air & Water Show this weekend?

Pr0Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
So is anyone going this weekend? I plan to go tomorrow if rain doesnt ruin it.

Info here

44th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show
Planes to soar and boats to glide August 17-18, 2002

Shell and the City of Chicago present the 44th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show along Chicago?s spectacular lakefront August 17 and 18, 2002. The show generates amazement from the audience as aircraft, including the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, The U.S. Army Golden Knights and the AeroShell Aerobatics Team navigate overhead and watercraft splash across the lakefront.
The Chicago Air and Water Show is the oldest and largest free admission air and water exhibition of its kind in the United States, featuring civilian and United States military aircraft and watercraft.

More than 2 million spectators will enjoy the show from Fullerton Avenue to Oak Street, with North Avenue Beach as the focal point. The show kicks off at 9 a.m. with the water show; the air show starts at 11 a.m. and continues until 4 p.m. on both days. On Saturday, August 17 dusk brings the Twilight Air Show with a focal point at Navy Pier. The show takes place from 6:45 p.m. ? 8:30 p.m., with fireworks topping the night off at 10:15 p.m.

?We are proud to present this extraordinary event to the city of Chicago,? said Jim Law, Executive Director of the Mayor?s Office of Special Events. ?The Chicago Air & Water Show is the largest two-day spectator event in the United States, and the longest ongoing show of its kind in North America.?

This year, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels will headline the air show, spreading their wings over Lake Michigan. The Blue Angels have been bringing excitement to the skies since this premier flight demonstration team was created in 1946. This year?s show will also include the U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights parachute team, who will thrill the audience with their daring parachute jumps.

In addition, the AeroShell Aerobatic Team will once again thrill the audience with a series of precision formation aerobatic maneuvers. The team has been performing air shows for the past 17 years.

"It gives Shell and the AeroShell Aerobatic Team great pleasure to team up with the Mayor's Office of Special Events in bringing the largest and most successful air and water exhibition in the United States to Chicago," stated Mike Greer, General Manager, Shell.

Other performances include the Lima Lima Flight Team, Sean D. Tucker & Team Oracle, the Red Baron Stearman Squadron, Ian Groom presented by FedEx, and Red Bull Mig Magic.

Military aircraft to be featured include: A-10 Thunderbolt, UH-60 Blackhawk, AH-64 Apache Helicopters, C130, C141, KC135, KC10, USN F-18 Hornet Demonstration, USN F-14 Tomcat Demonstration, USAF 920 Rescue Group, USAF T-38 Demonstration, USAF F-15 Eagle, IL Air National Guard F-16, USAF B1-B, USAF B2 Stealth Bomber and the USAF F117 Stealth Fighter (military aircraft subject to change).

This year?s Shell Extreme Water Show includes round four of the International Racing Association?s Liquid X Freestyle 2002 Pro Tour, with the finest wave riders from U.S.A., Canada and Brazil competing in categories including best wipeout and coolest move. The Munson Ski & Inboard Water Sports ?Ski Show Team? will also present an exciting and entertaining water ski and wakeboard show, as performers slice through the water barefoot, go sky high on a wake board, show some fancy footwork and fly through the water at unbelievable speeds.

The voice of the Chicago Air and Water Show, Herb Hunter will emcee this year?s event from North Avenue beach. Hunter, an experienced military pilot and captain for one of the major airlines, explains every aerobatic maneuver performed, keeping the audience informed and entertained.

The Chicago Air and Water Show is made possible by the support of presenting sponsor, Shell, and additional sponsors: ABC 7 Chicago, American Airlines, The Boeing Company, Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago Tribune, Citysearch.com, Communications Direct, FedEx Express, Fuji Photo Film USA, Inc., Gavin Fine Art & Design, Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, Ice Mountain Water Company, LaGrou Distribution System, M&M Graphics, Red Baron Pizza, Red Bull, SBC Ameritech, Subaru of America, Team Oracle, Urban Services, Verizon Wireless and WBBM News Radio 780.

The 44th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show
Performance Lineup (not in order of appearance)
August 17-18, 2002

Headliners:
The U.S. Navy Blue Angles
The U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights

Civilian Aircraft:
Aeroshell Aerobatic Team
Lima Lima Flight Team
Sean D. Tucker & Team Oracle
Red Baron Stearman Squadron
Ian Groom presented by FedEx Express
Red Bull Mig Magic

Military Aircraft (subject to change):
A-10 Thunderbolt
UH-60 Blackhawk
AH-64 Apache Helicopters
C130
C141
KC135
KC10
USN F-18 Hornet Demonstration
USN F-14 Tomcat Demonstration
USAF 920 Rescue Group
USAF T-38 Demonstration
USAF F-15 Eagle
IL Air National Guard F-16
USAF B1-B
USAF B2 Stealth Bomber
USAF F117 Stealth Fighter

Shell Extreme Water Show:
Liquid X Freestyle 2002 Pro Tour
Munson Ski & Inboard Water Sports ?Ski Show Team?

Aug 10, 2001
I used to watch the planes take off from the Glenview Naval Air Base (before the base was closed, of course).

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Vespasian
I used to watch the planes take off from the Glenview Naval Air Base (before the base was closed, of course).
So did my dad. There's houses and a Dominick's there now. A shame. I'm glad they're going to have the A-10 at the show. That plane is so sweet.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
So did my dad. There's houses and a Dominick's there now. A shame. I'm glad they're going to have the A-10 at the show. That plane is so sweet.
There are more than just houses and a grocery store there now (e.g., golf courses, schools, parks, office buildings, retirement communities, shopping centers, etc.)

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I might go on sunday but I've got alot of paint prep work to do tomorrow. The are usually very cool, although very crowded too.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
There are more than just houses and a grocery store there now (e.g., golf courses, schools, parks, office buildings, retirement communities, shopping centers, etc.)
Ah yes, I remember the shopping center is called "The Glen" with a retirement community or building across the street from the parking lot. Haven't been around there in a while, it's roughly 30 min away (probably).

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Maybe.. I'll probably end up going to Road America instead in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin for the CART race depending on the weather.

Sal