Anyone get The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing ?

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
A friend mentioned it to me the other day when talking about Diablo III. Up until then I never heard about this game, but after reading about it and checking out the video I pulled the trigger and bought it. So far I'm enjoying it more than TorchLight II.

Anyone pick it up?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215530/

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Not worth the $14 IMO, would've rather gone out and watched a movie or something. TL2 has much more depth and I had 10x more fun in it than with this game.

callaway86

Jun 19, 2010
I think it was worth 14 bucks. I've had a blast playing it and it's better than the grim dawn alpha. It's not super long and the loot becomes a bit stagnant after a while but the art, skills progression and story are amazing for a 14 dollar game.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
I think it was worth 14 bucks. I've had a blast playing it and it's better than the grim dawn alpha. It's not super long and the loot becomes a bit stagnant after a while but the art, skills progression and story are amazing for a 14 dollar game.

Oh man don't say that I've been looking forward to this game:|. Haha

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I think it is a lot better than torchlight 2; the only real issue is that it is short. It is more story driven (rpgish) than torchlight 2 and the skills (imho) are more interesting. The biggest problem(s) are that the diversity in your character is very limited - currently the game favors mele builds and it is very short. Also the multiplayer is a bit buggy (they've been patching daily). This is the first of a triology and if the next two are the same quality I think the total will be very good indeed. Think titan quest with better voice acting and strong story line. It does lack puzzles and some of the batering between characters becomes repetitive.
-
Haven't played grim dawn alpha but the video look good.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Play it.

Stick to Torchlight 1/2 or Titan Quest if you want some character/skills depth.

Graphically and setting-wise, they've done a great job of Van Helsing but the game is lacking in the gameplay department, feeling like a drudge or chore rather than an enjoyable experience.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Got it over the weekend.

Playing on Hard. It's HARD!

Someone said earlier that it favors melee. I don't agree. I tend to see more benefit from range attacks.

Fighting bosses and to a lesser extent normal monsters is nothing but a kiting game. Running around in a circle and shooting every now and then seems to be my best strategy.

Upgrades to skills (talking about the 3 upgrades that you can load up and use when you're in Rage mode) is a little weird and generally I forget to use or set them in-game.

Graphics are nice. Voice acting is very good. Music is so-so.

Been a couple small issues, but nothing game-breaking.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
saw this on steam and was wondering if it was good. looks cool though.

I'll probably wait for a steam sale though.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Not worth the $14 IMO, would've rather gone out and watched a movie or something. TL2 has much more depth and I had 10x more fun in it than with this game.

And how much of Van Helsing did you play? Its just as good as torchlight, and better in many ways except for the lack of characters.

A friend mentioned it to me the other day when talking about Diablo III. Up until then I never heard about this game, but after reading about it and checking out the video I pulled the trigger and bought it. So far I'm enjoying it more than TorchLight II.

Anyone pick it up?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215530/

Love it, love it, love it!

Awesome game and def worth $14. Diablo 3 has plenty to learn from Van Helsing and Torchlight. I am up to level 8, playing as a gun/ranged type. It really shines when you have someone to play with, but is great solo too.

I just wish there was more content, and nightmare/hell mode. Sure u got all these diff levels but if u beat epic, thats it. You're done, unless uwant to play other builds. PvP would be stupid.. You cant have Van Helsing vs. Van Helsing, but I wish there was PvP so I could "pwn all you n00bs".... :(

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
A few people on my friendslist bought it. I asked most of them what they thought and each one had positive things to say and recommended it even at its current price. I am tempted by it as it looks pretty decent and the price is right.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
And how much of Van Helsing did you play? Its just as good as torchlight, and better in many ways except for the lack of characters.

I beat both games, it maybe holds a candle to TL 1.

Last edited:

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
It's on the list.

Pretty surprised by the low price. Would have expected them to try to get $40.

I'm a really big fan of the studio, Neocore games. Really big fan. King Arthur the Roleplaying game was one of the best video game experiences I've had.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I have played it to about level 13. I was very impressed to begin with, the art and mechanics are very good, much better than D3 and TL2. However the gameplay gets very stale, and its completely unplayable without relying on AOE attacks because there are SO MANY monsters.

Character customization and skill trees are very limited, theres only 9 main skills in each of the two trees (one is for ranged characters, the other for melee), and 3 of them are passives (for the melee tree at least, I didn't look at the ranged tree much). So theres 6 active skills for me to choose from, and half of them require mana and/or have their damage based off my spellpower. So basically as a melee character who doesn't want to be a spellcaster, I have my 3 skills already picked out for me. Not that I even need 3 because I can only have 2 active skills at a time.

Multiplayer is also completely broken. I've never managed to actually join a random persons multiplayer game, it just sits there trying to connect forever. I tried to play with 2 different friends who live in the same city as me and the lag is obnoxious and I get disconnected all the time. Theres also numerous bugs and broken quests (whether in single or multiplayer).

I'll probably finish it at some point but I've become bored with it already. I'm hopeful that it will become a much more complete game after the future episodes are released, but right now its quite disappointing. If they could just fix all the bugs and get multiplayer to work I would consider it worth $15, but I won't be buying the other episodes unless they add some considerable depth to the skill systems.