Anyone get stretch mark on their arms?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Anyone here lift weights a lot, and have their arms grow out creating stretch marks?

Is there anyway to get rid of these unsightly things?

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
I get them too...No idea how to get rid of them. They usually go away after I work out though

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Yes, I have four or five fairly wide stretch marks on both biceps, although I noticed them first when I did the opposite - gained a lot of mass weight-lifting, then stopped abruptly - losing most of that muscle very quickly. They should fade with time.

scorp00

Mar 21, 2001
I have huge blood red one's on both arms. No way to get rid of them. There are creams that can help a little bit, but they don't help enough for most people to bother. After you stop growing so fast, they'll fade.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
I have them too. But no one cares about them if you're buffed... everyone seems to notice them if you're fat. :(

ewker

Oct 27, 2002
i've got awful ones between my chest and shoulders. i put vitamin e oil on the marks, take the vitamins also, and try to get as much water as possible. i heard they were caused from lifting and not getting enough fluids because i'm not very big, just quite a bit bigger than when i started.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: scorp00
I have huge blood red one's on both arms. No way to get rid of them. There are creams that can help a little bit, but they don't help enough for most people to bother. After you stop growing so fast, they'll fade.

The reds go away. I had em for awhile, prolly a year when I was lifting madness. I got it right under my arm between my chest and biceps.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ewker
i've got awful ones between my chest and shoulders. i put vitamin e oil on the marks, take the vitamins also, and try to get as much water as possible. i heard they were caused from lifting and not getting enough fluids because i'm not very big, just quite a bit bigger than when i started.

I have em in the exact same spot. I was kinda chubby around the chest area/belly as a kid, not anywhere else, and I didnt drink enough water back then. I'm pretty sure thats what cause them. Now at 22 and lifting for a year, they are still there tho I've slimmed down quite a bit.

<shrug> dunno if they will ever go.

Talon02

Mar 17, 2002
I have them vertically on my arms because I grew too fast and the testosterone (natural) kicked in. I also have them vertical on my waist again from growing taller too fast.

ProUser

Apr 6, 2000
Stretch marks from gaining muscle mascle/getting in shame = Good. (I have had them for years, they will fade, but never 'go away')

Stretch marks from becoming a fat slob = Bad.

With that in mind, look on the bright side. :)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have some pretty deep ones under my arms due to fast gaining of muscle. I also have some on my side that are more minor from getting fat once.

They never go away. You can do somethings to minimize their appearance.

Yep, I have stretch marks. My body was just taking too much, so the skin decided to stretch. Look at how big I am now! Hehehe! I fooled you, didn't I? I do have stretch marks, but it isn't due to exercise. I had it as I was growing up during and into teen age. I got scared 'cuz I was told only fat people had it, so I thought it meant I would be fat. Anyway, I'm still my skinny self. I think it's just the rapid growth . . . perhaps my height, behind, chest, tighs . . . Lord . . . they're too many to mention. Let's just say I have them in more than one place, but it's most apparent in one spot. I could point out the spot that I found perplexing and scary. It was the little stretch mark I had on my shoulder.

The stretch mark started when it was small. Then it started to grow, so I thought it was some worm . . . 'cuz it was the only stretch mark there and it was shaped a lot like a worm. Anyway, at the end the stretch mark stopped, but I have a long mark on my shoulder. I don't know why that happened, but I can deal with it. :p I even like it somewhat. I've had friends stop and ask what's that. :p

As for sports, my older sis didn't have stretch mark before. Well, she started to lift weight. Before you knew it, stretch marks were all over her behind. It's almost equivalent to mine, but of course I beat her. :p She knows it's due to her practices, but she doesn't mind. Your body will react that way if there's rapid growth occurring.

Edit: I don't know of cures for stretch marks. I just read that if you apply cocoa butter pretty early at the start of the stretch marks, then you can minimise them. If not, you're forever doomed with stretch marks. :p I came to appreciate and like them. :p

[Dxkj:] "I have one on my right shoulder.... err not sure why"

Haha! We can relate now, Dxkj. Cool. :p

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Stretch marks can be caused anywhere a rapid growth takes place: muscle gain, wieght gain/pregnancy, growth spurts, injury/swelling.

The flip side is snagging skin from rapid losses.

Some stretch marks can be hairline and non-prominent. The ones I have on my sides are like those...very unnoticable, however the ones under my arms are maybe 1/8" wide and 1/16" deep.

I started retraining after a year off. In 30 days I lost 20lbs and also gained 1/2" on each of my arms, 2" on my chest and back...this isn't new muscle, but I guarantee I stretched my skin a bit. I am only using weight loss supplements (ECA stack + Green Tea). My height / wieght is currently 180lbs / 5' 10.5"

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
I had a bad case of hyperthyroid desease about 3 years ago. After I started treatment I gained 30 pounds in a month to bring my weight to a reasonably level (175--I'm 6-2). That created streachmarks on my sides and thighs that are only now mostly faded.

"Some stretch marks can be hairline and non-prominent. The ones I have on my sides are like those...very unnoticable, however the ones under my arms are maybe 1/8" wide and 1/16" deep."

Don't even think about complaining. :p The one on my shoulder is like a curve and measures approximately 4". It's quite thin in width, though. So it looks like a worm. LMAO. :D

I haven't dared to measure the ones on my tighs and my behind. :eek: :p

Come to think of it, I was extremely skinny as a kid. I mean very skinny. And if pics truly make people look bigger than they are in person, then I was a total pity. Only seeing the pics would be convincing. I mean . . . I was breakable, even though it didn't feel that way in person. So I could see how the stretch marks occurred in the process of transitioning me to the woman I am today. Even though I'm still skinny, I'm not exactly the skinny type I was preteen age.

Try cocoa butter at an early stage to minimise the marks.