Anyone get sharp wrist pain from typing?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I think im getting some wrist pain from frequent typing. i have a bad habit of arching my right hand outwards so i hit the backspace with my middle or index finger without really moving my arm. That kind of puts my wrist at a sharp angle thats starting to give me some pain. Anyone get anything similar?

Feb 19, 2001
small keyboards are bad. That's why I never like the small laptops. WTF is the point of a freaking 12.1" laptop. Sure it's portable, but you ruin your hands. Good job. Maybe you just need to fix your typing position. Backspace with those fingers hurts my wrists. I'm not that much better though I use my ring finger for backspace.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Sort of. I was starting to get pain in my right pinkie finger (Enter + various vim shortcuts), so I've been making it a point to hit enter by moving my entire arm and using my middle finger (not every time, but sometimes). This seems to be helping my wrist as well.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i used to get some bad pains in my wrists. hasn't happened in awhile and i'm not sure why. i was afraid it was capral tunnel, but if it hasn't happened for a long time, i guess it must not be,

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
besides carpal tunnel there is also tendinitis which I have. Some what similar & IIC carpal tunnel usually is the follower of tendinitis in many cases

a good arm massage & lots of stretching my tendons helped a lot. Putting backward pressure on my wrists was pretty good. But I got mine from a combo of hydrolic machines & keyboards

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I used to, and it persisted for a year or more at least. I spend upwards of 8 hours a day typing in some form or fashion, so there's no real way to avoid it. I haven't had an issue in years, and it was mostly due to changing my posture. Do some Googling around for ways to better your posture, do a little physical therapy, etc.

Also, stop hitting the backspace with your index finger. That's just crazy. Learn to use your ring finger at least...

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I was under the impression carpal tunnel came w/ some neuropathy in the form of some tingling, burning sensation in the hands because of pinched nerves not so much really sharp direct pain in a specific location

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Get an ergonomic keyboard. Solved my wrist pain problems.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Mo0o
I was under the impression carpal tunnel came w/ some neuropathy in the form of some tingling, burning sensation in the hands because of pinched nerves not so much really sharp direct pain in a specific location

No.

Common misconception.

Numbness, tingling, burning, pain are all potential signs of carpal tunnel. Carpal Tunnel occurs because of compression of the Median nerve within the (surprise!) Carpal Tunnel, which can be caused by *either* flexure or extension of the wrist. This is why the two most common tests for carpal tunnel are the Phalen's and Reverse Phalen's tests (google).

A single symptom like sharp pain is not enough to rule out other possibilities - tendonitis, arthritis, soft tissue damage...there is a LOT that can cause pain. Within that list of possibilities is early-stage carpal tunnel.

Hence, go see a professional. We are educated on the process of differentiating one from another in order to arrive at a diagnosis. Diagnosis via "folks on the web" and self-diagnosis is ill-advised. Pain could be an early sign that carpal tunnel is developing, or it could be something else entirely.