Anyone get excessive high temps with i7 930?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Heck, I'd do a board swap for something more commonly used around here (Gigabyte, Asus, whatever models are the most widely embraced) and take Intel up on its offer just to be on the safe side.

edved

Sep 6, 2007
Just a thought, but LGA1366 is known for excessive leakage current. OP, have you tried undervolting your CPU and checking for stability? Does your BIOS have the necessary settings to allow that?

edit: also, if you have 25c ambients and get ambient temps reported by the board sensors at 43c while blasting a room fan at the side with your case open, I'm thinking the board sensors may be a tad overzealous in their temperature reports. You may need some external temperature sensors or . . . something.

Motherboard replaced. Checked!

edved

Sep 6, 2007
Placed the case on the desk right next to me with the cover off. The blinking blue light syndrome...this despite having dropped the cpu voltage to 1.0. Temps at idle are ambient 41C and cpu is 64C.

The Desktop Board contains the following two LEDs (see Figure 6) that indicate the
status of the board’s voltage regulation circuitry and the processor:
• The CPU LED (Figure 6, A) indicates an elevated temperature on the processor that
could affect performance.
• The VR LED (Figure 6, B) indicates an elevated temperature in the processor
voltage regulator circuit that could affect performance

Last edited:

edved

Sep 6, 2007
Heck, I'd do a board swap for something more commonly used around here (Gigabyte, Asus, whatever models are the most widely embraced) and take Intel up on its offer just to be on the safe side.

That's my next move two Intel boards and still a no go.

G.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have not seen coretemp mentioned here. What does that show ? and occt also ?

edved

Sep 6, 2007
I'm sure there were many here sitting on the edge of their seats to see what happened next with my motherboard melodrama! Rest easy all, gave Intel the kick and installed the Asus P6T SE board and all is well! Temps are in the high 30's and low 40's C.

I was happy with my badaxe2 Intel board and believed that the DX58SO would do the trick. What are the odds of two DX58SO boards failing? I can't believe that Intel would let this kind of thing get by them. Their own board unable to run their new CPU's. Shame on you Intel.

I feel as though Intel owes me something for being their guinea pig! I spent an inordinate amount of time troubleshooting this rig and ended up resorting to their competition for my solution.

Btw, it's really much faster than the Q6600 it replaced! Makes me wonder why I waited so long.

Thanks all who offered their two cents in helping me fix this.

Cheers.