Anyone get a GTX 670 that's stable over 1300mhz?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xeth

May 27, 2011
I found MSI Afterburner and EVGA PrecisionX both crash games when they are running. For what reason I don't know. Even when I don't overclock, just having them in the background breaks the game. A quick search pulled up more than one case of this.

I don't know how else to actually overclock my 670

Turn on Kernel mode hardware access. That should fix it. I had problems with some games too.

May 13, 2009
Each gtx 670 come with a different default max boost clock. You just move the slider to add mhz on top of that max boost clock.

Oh okay. So the core never changes? Just the max? How do I know how high the max boost gets too?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Each gtx 670 come with a different default max boost clock. You just move the slider to add mhz on top of that max boost clock.
well first you need to raise the power target though as that will allow the card to be oced to its max and use more max boost too. the slider you are referring to is the offset and it will raise the base clock and boost. whatever you raise it to in with offset will show up in gpu z as the new base clock and the boost shown after doing will be at the same amount higher as before. in other words if stock was 950 with boost of 1000 and you raise the offset to 100 it should say base of 1050 and boost of 1100 now in gpu z. the actual max boost will vary from card to card and depending on conditions.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
How do you even oc a 670? Does turning up core clock turn up max boost together? Or do I have to tweak each clock speed? I'll report back when I can play around with my 670 some.

When you change Core Clock you are changing the boost clock.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
God damn bro. Thats lower then my 7850. Time for Ivy bridge

I am building end of month. I've said this before. You also realize that 3DMark has a specific CPU test that skews the results based on that alone right?

GPU helps more for me now and this way I don't worry about GTX 670 sell out.

BTW: Kernel Mode access in afterburner doesn't work

aren't you changing both the base and boost doing that?

No, the base still goes back down when you have an overclock on the core.

Last edited:

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012
Oh okay. So the core never changes? Just the max? How do I know how high the max boost gets too?

I say just forget about base clock it never really comes into play. What matters is the max boost clock. To find your default max boost clock you just have to play a demanding game or benchmark and monitor it with a program like afterburner or GPU-z's sensor tab. Gpu-z main tab won't display it correctly. At least it didn't for my card. My default max boost was 1189mhz but gpu-z's main tab states its 1059mhz.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I am building end of month. I've said this before.

GPU helps more for me now and this way I don't worry about GTX 670 sell out.

BTW: Kernel Mode access in afterburner doesn't work

No, the base still goes back down when you have an overclock on the core.
what? if you have a base clock of 1000 and a turbo of 1100 and use offset to increase that by 100 it will then show 1100 as the base and 1200 as the boost in gpu-z.

EDIT: just like here where the clock was 980 with boost of 1059 and they offset it by 100 which made it a base of 1080 with boost of 1159.

adult image hosting

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It doesn't idle at 980 which is what I mean. It idles much lower. I've never seen the GPU under load below the boost clock.

Idle
96927331.jpg

Load
64693546.jpg

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
It doesn't idle at 980 which is what I mean. It idles much lower. I've never seen the GPU under load below the boost clock.
well of course it would still idle at idle speed. what I was saying is correct though as overclocking raises both of the base and boost clocks. but yeah you will only see the boost clocks in newer more demanding games. any place where you would would have seen the original base clock though will now show up higher too.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Some of the issues I'm experiencing has been mentioned on EVGA's forums and they are offering some affected users of GTX 670 SC cards an upgrade to the FTW edition (full size PCB) with 2 day cross shipping free. I've emailed them with my issues and serial number and will see what they think. Maybe I'll get an RMA number and can send my card for replacement. Wouldn't hurt.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well, EVGA sent me an advanced RMA number to send my card back. I will have a new FTW edition card on the GTX 680 PCB and HSF in 2 business days. Then I have 14 days to return my SC version to them before they charge me full retail for the FTW card they sent.

It's an EAR (that they offered free to those experiencing issues with the GTX 670 SC version) so they don't charge anything up front. They simply hold the CC info on file. A standard RMA can have a cross ship option but they charge up front and then issue a refund after they receive your old card.

Just thought someone would like to know.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Nah, there's tons of people without problems. Apparently the reference design is poor. Anything on a larger PCB is good. The dual fan cards from Gigabyte, Galaxy, MSI, ASUS, and Palit are fine. The EVGA FTW edition is also fine as it uses the PCB and cooler right off the GTX 680 from what I read as well.

I'd still buy one, if you get the OC version and it has problems EVGA will ship you a FTW edition free and give you a shipping label so you can return the old card on their dime.

What issue are you talking about?

The stock reference designs have been having heat issues, issues with loud buzzing fans etc. In the case of the overclocked cards like EVGA SC. Some people get artifacts or freezes and lockups. Various things like that. I have the SC edition from EVGA and it is supposed to have a boost clock of 1064 but it goes up to 1175 and that's just not stable sometimes using the default TDP settings. Then when I increase the TDP settings I get more issues with crashing playing back videos etc.

Some people on the EVGA forums have noted it could be the voltage not moving up properly or simply the reference design not able to handle the heat output. The reference GTX 670 is on a small PCB with a smaller HSF than the GTX 680. The non reference designs from some manufacturers use the GTX 680 PCB and a different fan system. Galaxy and Gigabyte offer dual fan cards that clock up really well. EVGA has a FTW edition (not released to retail chains yet) that uses the longer PCB from the 680 and the same HSF.

Last edited:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Got my GTX 670 OCd and tested. Looks like a boost just above 1315 is my tops. Strangely, my card does not like any voltage above the default. I am at 0.988v, with the following:

Default: 1085(Boost)/1502
OC'd: 1215(Boost)/1700

Max GPU temp at 100%: 74C
Max TDP at 100% load: 87.6%*125% maxTDP(as set in Precision) = ~191.6w
Max voltage at 100% load: 1.162

Using the same Uningine settings as tempered, here are my results and GPUZ screenshot:

uninginegtx6703.jpg

Note: CPU freq is not accurate in picture below (see sig)

Very impressed with the card so far. I could probably tweak a little higher, but this looks really good to use for now! :)

Edit: Updated picture to represent tweaked settings. I continued to stress test while pegging all 6 CPU cores at 100% and noticed it was getting unstable. These new settings represent 2+ hours of GPU and CPU cores at 100% with 25C ambient temp. This represents the worst conditions I can simulate, and I will have this run overnight to test the final stability. Overall I am looking at a 24% core OC and 13% memory OC. Not too shabby.

Last edited by a moderator: