Anyone From Bluefield WV here?

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I just drove through WV to drop a friend off in Bluefield and I was wondering how such a small state could have some of the most well maintained roads on the east coast?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
That's freaky. My friend at work and his girlfriend just got a job there.

Weird. It's such a small town.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I live in Huntington and grew up in Charleston Wv. We do have pretty good roads and I think one of the best interstate systems in the country. I think a lot of it has to do with our Senator Byrd. It seems like every other bridge/road here is named after him :p.

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
That's freaky. My friend at work and his girlfriend just got a job there. Weird. It's such a small town.

Yes it is small:)

You want to talk about freaky? A friend of mine came out from Ohio to see me in WA and on her trip back sat next to the big sister of one of my friends from elementry school that I hadn't seen or talked to in 10 years. The world is a strange place.

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
I live in Huntington and Charleston Wv. We do have pretty good roads and I think one of the best interstate systems in the country. I think a lot of it has to do with our Senator Byrd. It seems like every other bridge/road here is named after him :p.

I thought it might have something to do with that. To bad he can't do the same for your school system.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Desslok
I live in Huntington and Charleston Wv. We do have pretty good roads and I think one of the best interstate systems in the country. I think a lot of it has to do with our Senator Byrd. It seems like every other bridge/road here is named after him :p.

I thought it might have something to do with that. To bad he can't do the same for your school system.

What me not smart?

:p

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf I live in Huntington and Charleston Wv. We do have pretty good roads and I think one of the best interstate systems in the country. I think a lot of it has to do with our Senator Byrd. It seems like every other bridge/road here is named after him :p.
What me not smart? :p

hahahha We stopped for gas (i forget the name of the place) but when I went in to get a Mt Dew the people in there made me wonder. Granted that was just one gas station so I can't say it is like that in the whole state but still WOW

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf I live in Huntington and Charleston Wv. We do have pretty good roads and I think one of the best interstate systems in the country. I think a lot of it has to do with our Senator Byrd. It seems like every other bridge/road here is named after him :p.
What me not smart? :p

hahahha We stopped for gas (i forget the name of the place) but when I went in to get a Mt Dew the people in there made me wonder. Granted that was just one gas station so I can't say it is like that in the whole state but still WOW

We do have some really bad areas. I have ran into a few people named Cletus if that gives you an idea of what I mean :p.

If you want to see the true Wv lifestyle buy the documentary

The Dancing Outlaw. Screw around on Amazon.com and read some of the reviews. I garuantee you haven't seen anything like this :D. Its the most messed up, funny, disturbing, thing I have ever seen all rolled into one real life video.

Here is one of the better reviews
"About 4 years ago, maybe less I can't really remember, I was sent a video entitled "Dancin' Outlaw" and the first time I watched it with my family we were all slack jawed and wide eyed at what appeared to be a documentary on the life of a hillbilly named 'Jesco White'. This, honestly, has to be the most terrifying, hilarious, and insightful glances into a small town of hillbillies in West Virginia. This movie, since i've recieved it, has been passed around between all of my friends who, in its wake, have been left in total shock concerning its contents. This is a 'must see' for anyone that has not had the pleasure of living in a trailer home - and anyone that has. Before letting anyone see this movie, the only explanation I ever give anyone is that 'this movie CANNOT be described - you just HAVE to watch it to see for yourself'. If you've ever wanted to feel like your life really isn't that bad, I suggest watching this prime example of why you should never, and I mean NEVER, 'huff' anything. Furthermore, this is a very well put together example of becoming a product of your surroundings. To take part of a quote from Chandler on Friends, I don't know how these people don't fall down more.

Kudos to the masters that produced this marvel of a documentary."

Everbody should be made to watch this. Its just that good even if it does make my state look like the armpit of the country.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I used to drive through the entire length of WV going to school. It was such a great drive: very little traffic at any time of day, any time of year, very good roads, and scenic views. My impression of WV is that it is mostly EMPTY. And I like that about it. It's nice to know that there are still places so sparsely populated.