Anyone fix the flashing Err on a Nikon D80 camera?

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Title states it.

Out of the blue, the camera(D80) started flashing Err. Nothing has changed on the camera in years. I can't recall the last time I actually pulled the lens.

I have tried fully charging the battery; it was at about 1/2 charge when the Err popped up.

I tried "hard reset" using two green dots both with and without the battery installed.

I tried cleaning the lens contacts on both the lens and camera body.

From what I've read, this comes down to being a shutter issue. Are there any other steps I can try to fix this before I see what a shop tells me?

Background:
I bought the camera brand new about 10 years ago as a package deal. The lens in a Sigma DG and has worked well.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Does the camera have "mirror lockup" used for cleaning?
I know the mirror != the shutter, but maybe try it.

Unfortunately the D80 doesn't have LiveView so you can't skip the shutter.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort to take it to a shop; purchasing a used Nikon D3100/D5100 would be a huge upgrade in terms of performance and probably cost less than repair.
You would lose out on buttons. D7000 would return all the buttons.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I don't know your finances, but I would seriously consider purchasing D3/5/7000 camera used if the repair is > $150.
A used D3/5100 series will likely be ~ $200 and a vast improvement sensor wise (if not control wise.). For $250 you could get a D7000 which would retain all the controls you're used to, but have a vastly improved sensor.