Anyone feel CPU [AT] benchmarks should include gaming and streaming since multi core cpu's are out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
I completely agree. Streaming has become a profession for many people and is incredibly popular. Let us see benchmarks fit the use case for this and not distort anything further.

If you don't stream then why does it matter? This is for people who stream at incredibly high bit rates at 1080p60 and beyond. Streaming can be an INCREDIBLY profitable job for those at the top. They want the best performance and they don't care if it is AMD or Intel.

This is not about epeen, not about skewing gaming performance, not about distorting reality to show one camp is better than the other, but to show how streaming affects CPU core performance. I want to know more.

Well an issue here is familiarity with the subject at hand. If a reviewer does this test it becomes counter productive if either the reviewer or audience is unfamiliar with the subject at hand.

For example with some of your points the "top streamers" use separate dedicated machines if they are after maximum performance. For this you can just look at x264 encoding benchmarks.

The advantage of x86 software encoding is at low bit rates required for streaming. Who's streaming at high bit rates beyond 1080p60?

Unless they are going to do an entire article to examine all the angles and educate the audience (and likely themselves in the process) than it'll just be misleading numbers. Otherwise it'll just be back to the even earlier days of benchmarking where sites just threw a bunch of synthetic benchmark numbers out there which translates exactly to no meaning for anyone.

Aug 11, 2008
Well an issue here is familiarity with the subject at hand. If a reviewer does this test it becomes counter productive if either the reviewer or audience is unfamiliar with the subject at hand.

For example with some of your points the "top streamers" use separate dedicated machines if they are after maximum performance. For this you can just look at x264 encoding benchmarks.

The advantage of x86 software encoding is at low bit rates required for streaming. Who's streaming at high bit rates beyond 1080p60?

Unless they are going to do an entire article to examine all the angles and educate the audience (and likely themselves in the process) than it'll just be misleading numbers. Otherwise it'll just be back to the even earlier days of benchmarking where sites just threw a bunch of synthetic benchmark numbers out there which translates exactly to no meaning for anyone.
Well said. Obviously, streaming benchmarks would be useful or at lest interesting to some. However, with the limited resources of most test sites, I would prefer to see a more complete/thorough test of conventional gaming performance.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012

You are right. Some "top" streamers have been using dedicated streaming rigs. But nowhere near all of them. Now that multicore CPU's are affordable for everyone, a dedicated streaming rig is not as essential as it once was.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Of course you wouldn't want to see anything used to show AMD's strong points. That's like Anandtech running gaming benchmarks on a Threadripper review, useless, and not very telling of the processor. Many people multi-task when gaming. Not everyone can "zone" in on a game, and do nothing else for hours on end.

You know that I was using a Phenom II until January of this year, right? I've got nothing against AMD.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

tvdang7

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2005
Agreed, I don't stream and don't care much about it but I would like to see some benchmarks on it. More info the better when purchasing products.

I completely agree. Streaming has become a profession for many people and is incredibly popular. Let us see benchmarks fit the use case for this and not distort anything further.

If you don't stream then why does it matter? This is for people who stream at incredibly high bit rates at 1080p60 and beyond. Streaming can be an INCREDIBLY profitable job for those at the top. They want the best performance and they don't care if it is AMD or Intel.

This is not about epeen, not about skewing gaming performance, not about distorting reality to show one camp is better than the other, but to show how streaming affects CPU core performance. I want to know more.

I don't see why people are arguing this. It's not like I am saying make the whole CPU review about streaming. CPU reviews have been the same for the past decade. 3dmark, video games,unzipping, (insert other useless benchmark) ,etc . I just want to add another dimension of information to the review that may appeal to the minority of users out there (which is increasing rapidly judging by the popularity of twitch). Not everyone wants does content creation do you see anyone saying stop doing this reviews? Nope.

EDIT Pulled this from twitch year on year blog.
  • Total unique streamers: 2.2 million

Streaming benchmarks at 2:25. I'm quite surprised how well the i5s stream, would have thought being thread limited the framerates would tank but that isn't the case, in fact the i5 8400 is still producing higher fps than an overclocked 1800X @ 4GHz!

This is what I am looking for which makes me rather dissapointed in ryzen now haha.

Reactions: ZGR