Anyone ever hear of a store called Micro Center?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just curious, there's one of these in Denver, which is <sob> 200 miles from where I'm moving.

I think I'll be ordering a lot of hardware over the 'net . . . :(

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Well, you're not losing much by not going to them. They have a store in Cambridge, MA as well. I visit whenever I'm in town to see my folks. I usually only go there for fans, blank CDR's, or what not. They're not really all that great for hardware or software. Either full retail price or higher. No different from CompUSA or any of the other chain retailers. You're better off buying on-line.

sps

Oct 3, 2000
VEEEEEEEERY expensive stuff. They have about anything, but you don't want to buy it there.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Agreed to the above -- expensive, but they do have a HUGE selection. I went there recently, and they even had Tyan dual PIII motherboards, which just about floored me.

I also saw the Apple Cinema Display for the first time. Whoa. :)

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
In my area, the Micro Center is 10x better than the Comp USA we have. It's about a 40 minute drive to Micro Center, versus 15 to CompUSA, but it is worth it. They have more stuff, their prices are generally better than CompUSA and they have a HUGE clearance section with open-box stuff. I try to go there every month or so.

Jim

Oct 9, 1999
PCAddict, I agree. MicroCenter is much better here than CompUSA. 2 Years ago their prices were ridiculous but now they seem very reasonable on many things. No Nazis searching you on the way out either. :disgust:

WoundedWallet

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah it may be better than Compusa in some areas, but sps is right. That's one store where I could spend $400 for free and I almost didn't do it because I didn't have the heart to be so &quot;ripped off&quot;.

I ended up spending the money on paper, ink and two processors.

So the net seems like best way for you.

The only swallowable part of this store is that they have quite a big selection of returned items that they sell for regular prices :)

noxipoo

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
micro center here used to have REALLY cheap prices. now its avg or high and their selection sucks. i meann really bad. everything they are selling now are generic crap. from the ram to ide cables... and their staff here are idiots...

Base10

Jun 29, 2000
There's one in Tustin (SoCAL)...haven't been there since '97. The prices there were pretty high compare to other stores in the area...

Henry Kuo

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2000
The only time I went to Micro Center was when they had the etrade $400 deal... Unless you can get stuff for free, everything there is over-priced.

Ark

Oct 9, 1999
Have MC across a street since 1992 - much better than CompUSA, but still expensive place.Time to time can find good (cheap) stuff on sale.
Usually have all products in stock - if you want to buy somthing on-line look at the real product there first.
Also never had any problem to return stuff there - taking even after 30 days, open boxes, including software with no restocking fee. I feel like I returned there more than I bought there;).

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I live about 1.5 miles from the MC here in Fairfax, VA. Sure, they don't compare to the hot deals forum, but they will take care of you. Many businesses depend on MC for that reason. Besides, are there any larger (showroom floor acreage) computer stores?

-SUO

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
The Microcenter down here in Houston, Texas has great prices, a huge selection, and basically my dream store. But it is like 45 minutes away from my house and i cant drive yet, even though i am old enough.. damn parents, so it is basically pure luck if i can convince my dad to go. I go with my friends but they are very into computers but still they have interest. So i go like once every few months or so.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
SUOrangeman, I go to that microcenter all the time, I get some good deals on open box stuff, they are easy to haggle with, I dont buy anything thats not on sale or not open box though.

Zigggy

Aug 1, 2000
Microcenters are in Ohio too. They have a big selection, and a big service department. Some warm deals on books, but generally stuff is overpriced. Watch for their sales, once in awhile they have stuff cheap.

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
i kind of feel lucky, my microcenter is like an outlet type place, it is huge and very very very very very oh so very cheap!

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
The one in Columbus OH had the same Kinston CDR's that Outpost sells for $16/50. Micro Centers price $49/50..OUCH!!. Prices are beyond high here.

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The prices are high in Columbus because it is their home and also the site of one of their flagship corporate stores (the one on Bethel).

They do carry some obscure stuff, at least for a major retailer. The aforementioned Tyan boards, and also Aopen mobos. And they carry Fong Kai cases too.