Anyone else's online bank account getting hard to log into?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
yep, i got the same thing with chase.

My credit union requires:

Acct#
Image Verification
Answer Secret Question
Reverse Image Verification
Password

EVERY TIME!

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Your key is given to you in the form of a cookie. If you log on from another computer or delete the cookie you will have to re-authenticate yourself by answering the security questions.

Are you talking about the way Chase does it? I always assumed that was an IP check. New IP = you get grilled. I'm pretty sure I've cleared out my cookies and never gotten harassed, but who knows.

Either way it seems like a pretty good compromise between security and hassle.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Skeeedunt
Your key is given to you in the form of a cookie. If you log on from another computer or delete the cookie you will have to re-authenticate yourself by answering the security questions.
Are you talking about the way Chase does it? I always assumed that was an IP check. New IP = you get grilled. I'm pretty sure I've cleared out my cookies and never gotten harassed, but who knows.

Either way it seems like a pretty good compromise between security and hassle.
I don't know how Chase does it, but I can say that Bank of America uses cookies and not IPs. I've checked my balance from two different computer on the same home network and I had to do the username + secret image +password on both.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: kranky
I got very frustrated when one bank made me answer 3 questions from a list of 5, and there wasn't even 3 questions I could answer.

- First pet's name [I do not remember the name]
- Hospital where your father was born [How should I know?]
- Name of your prom date [we did not have a prom]
- Name of high school best friend [I hung with a group, there was no one "best friend"]
- Name of your elementary school [that one I could answer]

I decided at that point I would answer all security questions with the word "Swordfish" from then on. Now it's like I only have one security question, but they ask it many times and in many forms. :)

who do you bank with? is your username kranky?

Dont tell me that you still havnt tried the "kranky" and "Swordfish"/"swordfish" combo at major bank sites :p

No use trying now as I am sure that the username kranky is deactivated at most bank sites now :p

kedlav

Aug 2, 2006
username, password, card #, pin, card issue # (i.e. 1st card, 2nd card...). I can buy username, password, and pin, but more than that really bugs me. You know what'd make your shit more secure keybank? Allowing passwords longer than six fucking alphanumerics!

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Lothar
Originally posted by: kranky
I got very frustrated when one bank made me answer 3 questions from a list of 5, and there wasn't even 3 questions I could answer.

- First pet's name [I do not remember the name]
- Hospital where your father was born [How should I know?]
- Name of your prom date [we did not have a prom]
- Name of high school best friend [I hung with a group, there was no one "best friend"]
- Name of your elementary school [that one I could answer]

I decided at that point I would answer all security questions with the word "Swordfish" from then on. Now it's like I only have one security question, but they ask it many times and in many forms. :)

What if you don't remember "Swordfish"?

Don't remember password.
Can't answer the 5 questions because you used "Swordfish" for all of them.

Now what? They would probably have you to call customer support on the phone to verify your information which can be a hassle.

I like your way though...It has more security, no doubt.
No need to worry about family members or friends who know the answers to your personal questions trying to hack your account.

The worst are the "Where were you born?" or "What is your mother's maiden name?" type questions.
I can literally think of almost hundreds of people that know the answer to both questions.
If you add in "What was your high school mascot", that number reduces to about 50 people that know all three questions off head. That "50" figure doesn't include those who know the name, but don't know the mascot meaning they can easily drive by school or search google since they already know the name of the high school.

This is the entire meaning of two factor authentication.

1) you provide username/password (single auth)
2) Site requests key (cookie, already given to your browser on whatever machine you have proven your second factor, you have the key). You no havie da key? This is the second factor authentication, something you have. You get challenged. PROVE your identity and now the single factor is put into a single auth only state.
3) I don't see why people are concerned about this. It's a good thing.

Otherwise I'll just capture your data on your wireless network, capture your cookies and log into your bank. Oh, but given I don't have the key that was originally exchanged upon authentication I must prove my identity. Identify yourself, you do not posses the key.

Two factor authentication.

My only problem is those questions asked to "identify yourself" are lame and a lot of people I know already know the answer to them.
If I was allowed to make my own questions, all the better.

Oh, and I don't use wireless.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Lothar
My only problem is those questions asked to "identify yourself" are lame and a lot of people I know already know the answer to them.
If I was allowed to make my own questions, all the better.

Oh, and I don't use wireless.

They may be a little lame, but in order to even get into a challenge state they would have to know your id/password.

palswim

Golden Member
Nov 23, 2003
www.palswim.net
Yeah - it seems like all of my bank accounts want to incorporate useless authentication. But this makes Fidelity shine that much brighter than the rest of them. (Fidelity hasn't succumbed to this yet.)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: palswim
Yeah - it seems like all of my bank accounts want to incorporate useless authentication. But this makes Fidelity shine that much brighter than the rest of them. (Fidelity hasn't succumbed to this yet.)

How is it useless? It's much more secure than just a username/password. And given that it's a bank it's a great idea. So much so federal gubment passed a law requiring it to cut down on fraud and ID theft.