Anyone else work with a weather/traffic freak?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I sit near a guy who has an unending obsession with weather and traffic. I'm talking obsession!

First thing when he arrives, he calls his wife and offers a play-by-play of his trip in to work, taking care to not overlook a single maneuver that someone pulled that he didn't like. If it happened to be raining or snowing during that time, then he'll ask me how my trip to work was. Did it take longer than usual? Were there any traffic backups? It was snowing this morning, so he quizzed me about if I saw any salt trucks and if there were any icy spots. Hey, if we were going OUT, it would make sense. But we're going to be HERE for the next 8-10 hours, so WHO CARES!

And God forbid if he saw a truly unusual driving maneuver on his way to work, because every single person who comes to his office all day will have to hear the story. Except that I have to hear it 20 times because I sit too close.

If he makes calls during the day, he will give the mini-weather report to each callee. He's just made three calls in two hours and every person got the rundown.

"Well, they are calling for 1-3 inches of snow here in the city, but north of here they say it could be 4-6 inches. We'll get less here in the city because it could be mostly rain. It's raining now, but I think the temperature is dropping. It could turn to snow any minute. If it gets colder we'll get more snow than the 1-3 inches. Could be an interesting trip home later! They'll have to call out extra salt trucks if it gets colder. I'll probably leave a bit early to avoid the rush hour if it's snowing. You know those idiots will get their trucks stuck in the traffic and things will come to a standstill. I might go around the west side because even though it's a little longer, there's less traffic and it will probably be moving."

Around lunchtime he'll call his wife again and ask what the weather is. "How much snow? How cold is it? Has it let up? Did you go out? What are the roads like? Are they still calling for 4-6 inches?"

Then before he leaves, he'll call her again. "What's it like there? How are the roads? Did you hear anything about the Interstate?" And since it's snowing today, everyone he bumps into for the last half-hour before he leaves will get a little sermonette. "I'm heading out shortly because the weather looks bad and I'm not going to get stuck in that traffic when the idiots have their salt trucks stuck in rush hour and they can't get the roads clear. I'm going around the west side (translation: if you're not going around the west side like he is, then you are stupid) to stay away from all that mess. You know they'll never keep it clear once rush hour starts. It might look OK now, but with that snow coming down they'll never keep up."

Where you and I would drive to and from work and consider it nothing more than a routine part of the day, for this guy each and every driving experience and change in the weather is a saga that needs to be shared with everyone on the planet.

Pray that he has a smooth trip home because if he doesn't, tomorrow morning is going to be multiple extended-version retellings of the play-by-play of his drive home and I'll be in Serenity Now mode.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
heh - thanks for the laugh. Worst man ever. :)

Sorry you have to sit near him.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
this is where you and I differ. You complain abouit your coworker, I would have fun with the guy. If he asked me how the roads were, I would tell him the exact opposite of what they were really like. Then I would think of a different off the wall story to tell the guy every day about my trip in. I would find a way to work in farm animals as often as possible.

If the guy is that obsessed, he knows he is not normal. Have fun with him!!!

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
ha ha. my mother-in law is like that. It was a little icy on sunday when we were driving home from my parent's, and my Mom-in law made us call when we left, half way through the journey, and then again at the end. I broke her wishes though and only called at the beginning and the end. My wife just about throttled me though for driving 100km/h on ice. :)

Then again, they are both a little paranoid, my wife freaks if I don't unplug the coffee maker when I'm done w/ it. She thinks it will spontaniously combust and burn the house down or something. oh well. I humour her, even though I'm always tempted to leave it plugged in now, on principle.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Start relating to him the intricacies of using the bathroom. Giving him a play by play of EVERY push and waggle. Then question him on his technique in detail. Then fake call your wife and say somthing along the lines of "you wouldn't BELIEVE what I pushed out today!!"

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Maybe he really wanted to be a weatherman when he grew up and didn't get to be. :(

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Joeyman
Start relating to him the intricacies of using the bathroom. Giving him a play by play of EVERY push and waggle. Then question him on his technique in detail. Then fake call your wife and say somthing along the lines of "you wouldn't BELIEVE what I pushed out today!!"

LMAO, great idea :D

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Hilarious story kranky. I bet he's quite the social butterfly.
rolleye.gif
I think he needs to find a new hobby, or three or four instead of amateur weather dork! :)

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Oh god, that story was painful to read. I can only imagine...

But yeah, tell him that you had a great trip in, no snow, dry roads etc. Then when it's sunny and dry, tell him it rained like a mofo, some dude flipped his car over, crushing a pedestrian, and you had to cut the guy's arm off with your pocket knife in order to get him free before the car exploded.