Anyone else using Linux to game? Getting blurryness with 13.11 v6 in Dota 2

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Anyone else having some slight issues with this? Also having issues attempting to run it boarderless windowed mode and alt tabbing to browser. Areas like the news section becomes red, regardless gear slots are pure white for me.

2013-11-16_00001_zps3501713a.jpg~original

Also getting some slow downs, but that my be related to the 250 GB dated laptop HDD I'm using to test.

Ironically the screen shot didn't display it as well as I had hoped, specifically the minimap is blurry for me.

CCC is at default settings.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Metro LL stutters too :|

Wondering if I did something wrong!

Edit: Used the config to drop a fps tracker into Metro and well they're pretty awful. 15-23 fps doesn't matter where the slider bar is, PS2 graphics or decent, fps doesn't change always terribad.

Humdrum, these linux gamers must have had years of suffering not to care!

Last edited:

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
Hard to say, since your pics are a bit compressed, but looks like my game. What kind of blur? Like a haze?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Yeah like haze, I notice it and it's annoying. It doesn't make the game unplayable or anything, just when you go to look to see where people are you notice it.. Instead of noticing where people are.

As far as Metro LL goes, looks like I'm not the only one.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/43160/discussions/0/648811126609073381/#p1

I'm still walking about the first level near the shooting range and performance feels really poor. Also, the frame rate feels the same regardless of the graphics slider position even though I can clearly see the difference in the rendered graphics. Is there a way to show the current frame rate?

Kubuntu 13.10
HD 7950 with AMDs beta6 drivers.
Defines my experience, though I did enable to fps overlay in the config file and verified the FPS are woeful regardless of slider bar (lol) IQ setting.

AMD Drivers + Linux = Too Soon ™

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
If you thought AMD was bad, I spent probably 3-4 hours trying to get Nvidia's 325.15 on my system.

x-server/nouveau/mdm

sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-325.15.run

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-325.15.run

You know after so long running commands without success I started to remember back when my first "phrase" was denied! "Access Denied" cd C:\StreetRod

sudo apt-get knife /wrists

Long Live Windows and Easy Mode!

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Linux just sucks for gaming. Regardless if you are using nVidia or AMD. They both have issues, just in different areas.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Linux just sucks for gaming. Regardless if you are using nVidia or AMD. They both have issues, just in different areas.

Nvidia's issues, at least the one I was having is directly related to open source drivers not made by Nvidia.

Hard to really blame them for that, but Jesus the combination of Mint + the latest RC7 kernel was just desire crushing to say the least.

I wanted to see if I could get a better experience with my 9800 GT despite knowing full well it wasn't anything close to the 7950 I had bios OC'ed to 1100/1500 (for this very purpose!).

It's no wonder Steam isn't dropping a functional OS for Linux, it's just a messy OS that is totally impractical for the masses.

But anyways, we're going off topic. I was really looking forward to maybe moving off the Windows platform, especially since some of my more commonly played easy to run games are supported but, eh... Not yet.

AMD drivers installed perfectly fine, just lacked the performance they were capable of.

Nvidia drivers were blocked by open source non Nvidia drivers, probably coupled with my limited experience in the Linux space (probably 500 hours at best) and my need to alter the kernel to get my E2200 nic working made the experience one of the worst I've ever had.

Last edited:

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008