Anyone else using Blokada?

Mar 11, 2004
I tried it, but I've had it disabled because it was causing some issue. It seems interesting, but there were so many options and features and I didn't have a good idea of what they all do.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I tried it, but I've had it disabled because it was causing some issue. It seems interesting, but there were so many options and features and I didn't have a good idea of what they all do.
What issues did you have? I've not noticed any yet but I've not been doing anything particularly clever with my phone.

Mar 11, 2004
I can't recall exactly but I believe it was causing me issues with accessing some site that I frequent or maybe it was causing one of my other apps to be unable to connect. And I didn't have the time to sort through all their filter lists and options to see where the issue was coming from. Seems like it would be nice once you get it configured (kinda like any ad-blocker, especially when you use it to change the appearance of sites by using cosmetic filters to block non-ad junk). I just haven't had the time or care to delve into it more. And then there's updates that I need to do (which isn't as simple as normal apps). I was also hoping to be maybe getting a new phone and didn't want to go through the hassle just so I'd have to do it all over again. Not long after.

So not really an issue with Blockada.

Reactions: WelshBloke

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I think it's the first I have heard of it. I've been using DNS66 that I got from F-droid. F-droid does show adbloka but they newest version they have is 11 months old. I might have to give it a try but it looks like it needs set up like noscript and ublock origin for firefox.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I can't recall exactly but I believe it was causing me issues with accessing some site that I frequent or maybe it was causing one of my other apps to be unable to connect. And I didn't have the time to sort through all their filter lists and options to see where the issue was coming from. Seems like it would be nice once you get it configured (kinda like any ad-blocker, especially when you use it to change the appearance of sites by using cosmetic filters to block non-ad junk). I just haven't had the time or care to delve into it more. And then there's updates that I need to do (which isn't as simple as normal apps). I was also hoping to be maybe getting a new phone and didn't want to go through the hassle just so I'd have to do it all over again. Not long after.

So not really an issue with Blockada.
I haven't really done any setting up with it apart from just clicking the activate button on ad blocking and dns server and picking a server. It seemed about as simple as could be. It seems to have auto whitelisted a few apps.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Only thing I didn't like about it is that when I turned it off to access certain sites, it will always turn itself back on and run in the back ground even though it said I had turned it off. Don't know what's up with that, but it seems kind of fishy.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Only thing I didn't like about it is that when I turned it off to access certain sites, it will always turn itself back on and run in the back ground even though it said I had turned it off. Don't know what's up with that, but it seems kind of fishy.
It looks like it has a "keep alive" option. Perhaps it's on by default.

Omar Lipton

Mar 22, 2020
Blokada whitelists itself and connects to:
api.blocka.net
journal.blokada.org
blokada.org

How can I stop it from doing this?