Anyone Else Use An "ANANADTECH" Link To Get To Newegg?

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Greetings all....

I don't even know if what I do makes a difference or not... but I know that Anand either makes about no money from these forums or may even take a loss... that was the reason for the previous Subscribe service, to help defray some of the expense for the bandwidth he pays for every month so that we can have a place like Off Topic to talk in.

Anyway... a while back I went to Newegg from one of his links, and it occurred to me that I could add that URL as a shortcut to my "links" (or to my "favorites" if I had wanted that) and use it whenever I go to newegg (which is usually at least a couple times per day looking around). My hope was that Anand would get "credit" for a visit from an AnandTech link... and one that he deserves since I started using Newegg long ago because of the Hot Deals forum.

So ANYWAY... I use this link:

http://www.newegg.com/?submit=property&DEPA=7&refer=anandtech

anytime I go to Newegg. Just thought I'd ask if anyone else does this... and post the link in case anyone else had a desire to.

Joe
who loves AnandTech AND Newegg!

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Xiety
ehh...
easier to type "Newegg", then hit CTRL+ENTER

Yah, that's much easier than setting the link as a Bookmark on your browser toolbar.

Everyone loves to type 6 letters and a combo keypress instead of clicking once.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: mflacy
ehh...

Yah, that's much easier than setting the link as a Bookmark on your browser toolbar.

Everyone loves to type 'w w w . n e w e g g . c o m' instead of clicking once.

don't steal the poor kids thunder, he just wanted to impress us with his knowledge.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
ehh...

don't steal the poor kids thunder, he just wanted to impress us with his knowledge.

lol, i seriously like it better.... my bookmark list is around 500 sites, so it would be a PITAS to find newegg through em.

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
ehh...

If that were the case, he would have figured out you don't have to hit CTRL.

Edit: Less of course he's using IE. *gags*

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Yes, I use ANANADTECH links all the time.
rolleye.gif

Holy spellchecker batman...

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
ehh...

lol, i seriously like it better.... my bookmark list is around 500 sites, so it would be a PITAS to find newegg through em.

then don't bookmark 500 sites, bookmark 30 of your most visited sites.

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, two things... one, you obviously use IE, as do I. You are, like me, both a constant "ctrl-enter" user AND have a very full bookmark list. That's why I use the "links" feature in IE. I only have about 6 or 7 sights listed there... they are the ones that I use ALL THE TIME so I want them at hand. That is where I put my newegg/anandtech link.

I find that most people either just leave "Links" the way it is when IE is installed (usually because they don't know any better) or else they just uncheck it and don't have it displayed anymore... which is what I USED to do. Then one day I realzied that although it was a PITA to look through all my bookmarks for often used sights, I actually had this Links option that I could use as a highspeed, often used set of bookmarks.

Anyway... for sights that I go to a lot, having a link under Links is faster than typing the name/ctrl-enter.

What do you think?

Joe

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Netopia: well, I like my browser window as clean as possible, thus I don`t use Links tool. Even if I did, I don`t think Newegg through Anandtech would have been there.

Anyways...

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Anandtech is a multimillion dollar company. I don't think they are losing money. Yup, was told from someone on the inside :)

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Netopia: well, I like my browser window as clean as possible, thus I don`t use Links tool. Even if I did, I don`t think Newegg through Anandtech would have been there.

Anyways...

To each his own. For my own curiosity's sake, would you look at this and tell me if you feel it's "overly busy" or "not clean" or what have you? Actually... anyone who has an opinion, please post. I generally consider myself very greedy with my screen space, so I try to squeeze all the functionality out of the real estate that I can... probably comes from a long time ago working on 15" monitors, but I like being "screen thrifty".

My IE Window

Joe

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anandtech is a multimillion dollar company. I don't think they are losing money. Yup, was told from someone on the inside
NEVER said that AnandTech is losing money. What I said was:

but I know that Anand either makes about no money from these forums or may even take a loss... that was the reason for the previous Subscribe service, to help defray some of the expense for the bandwidth he pays for every month so that we can have a place like Off Topic to talk in.

Joe

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I'm guessing he only gets money if you buy something. Still a good idea though. :)