Anyone else upset with BF3 exclusive content pack?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
So apparently, unless something has changed over the night. EA has decided to make exclusive weapons available to BF3 if you by a certain weapons pack...before game is out. FOUR weapons NOT unlockable unless you buy this pack.

Here is reddit page to boycot this insane measure from them.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/hy24b/battlefield_3_preorder_dlc_boycott_coordination/

Here is EA forum poll to vote against this "idea".
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/6801802.page

Its not just simple weapons to, its game changing weapons you get if you buy this DLC pack. Here is a link to all the stuff you get for reference. Just stupid EA. http://battlefieldo.com/?p=888

Last edited:

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
This isn't news; it was stated some time ago that you could buy this pack as additional content OR acquire it by preordering the game.

Preorder = free

This isn't any different than how games like Gears of War or Call of Duty work, except in this case there's an opportunity to get the content for free.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
This isn't news; it was stated some time ago that you could buy this pack as additional content OR acquire it by preordering the game.

Preorder = free

This isn't any different than how games like Gears of War or Call of Duty work, except in this case there's an opportunity to get the content for free.

This Physical Warfare Pack includes the Back to Karkland pack(which is the one that is free if you pre-order). So this makes it rather confusing because if you pre-ordered the game, you'll still have to pay for the Physical Warfare Pack just to get the new weapons?

Edit: According to a poster on that EA forums, the Physical Warfare Pack grants you early access to weapons that you'll eventually unlock anyways? If that's the case, no biggie. If the ammount of noobs that I come across playing BC2 is any indication, it won't be too hard unocking these weapons after I slap them around a bit in BF3.

Last edited:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
What the hell is this???

If they are really exclusive, then that ruins the game.

If they are unlockable for those who don't buy this pack, and the maps are the main focus, then that is still not cool but no gamebreaking.

However, only 1 of the four weapons sound unlockable.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

Preorder = free

Pretty sure it has been confirmed that if you do not preorder, you do not get the PWP later, even by paying for it. And the items in it are 100% exclusive, except the DAO-12 which is merely early access. The other 3 are exclusives.

The problem is that despite all the Have Faith in DICE guys on EA UK forums, who claim that DICE wouldn't issue exclusives that give people an advantage, the fact is, we don't know until we see these weapons in action. And a lot of people will preorder based on that very fear. Who wants to get shredded by DAO-12 flechettes and not be able to do it yourself?

Ultimately though, this is a lesser evil than 3D spotting, killcam, 4 man squads(should be 6), allspawning(should be squad leader spotting only) and no commo rose(no excuse DICE, you had commo rose in most earlier games and BC2 social button doesn't get the job done).

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
If you have to pay for the added maps then that's really disappointing.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Yes, its news because you don't get the other weapons, at all in the game unless you buy the warfare pack.

You can get 2 preorder packs.
1. One with back to karkland + 3 other org maps remade, the one that most people pre-ordered.
2. The Warfare pack, with exclusive weapons and 4 maps included in first ( EU only for now, not set for USA date yet).

Its just dumb all around. Keep in mind, this has NOTHING to do with DICE, its a EA thing. They did this same crap with Bad Company 2 at first, till outcry reversed decision and made them unlockable.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Edit: According to a poster on that EA forums, the Physical Warfare Pack grants you early access to weapons that you'll eventually unlock anyways? If that's the case, no biggie. If the ammount of noobs that I come across playing BC2 is any indication, it won't be too hard unocking these weapons after I slap them around a bit in BF3.

Link? According to twitter and E3 interviews its all exclusive just to those who buy pack..

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
damnit EA. This better not be an exclusive weapons pack. Exclusive weapon packs ruin competitive gameplay.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
I am actually more disappointed with the game its self, if you search up Youtube and look at the footage of people playing it on the test booths you might see what I mean. On the grand scale of things, I personally don't like the maps that are close quarters like the metro/subway map. This to me is not in line with its predecessor Battlefield 2.

They have yet to showcase any extremely large maps like in battlefield 2, except for the tank footage, which I might add was pretty bland and boring. I don't see how traversing that barren land on foot could be any fun. The idea that extra content also comes in the form of maps screams out at me. So a lot of people are going to be kicked out of servers when the extra content maps kick on rotation. Due to that issue alone, I see the extra maps being played on separate servers alone until they are released as a DLC. Regarding the weapons, I think these should be cosmetic and not have any actual influence over game play but EA thinks otherwise.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
If you have to pay for the added maps then that's really disappointing.

I don't think that's too bad. It's just releasing the game with extra maps so early is going to split the community a little bit. There's going to people that will never pay for a DLC. Possibly servers running 24/7 BF2 maps, which people that don't pre-order won't have. If they gave you the DLC free and launched it like a month later I think it would be better. You're keeping the community all together at first and then adding in "fresh" content aka 7 year old maps and some new guns. How many games launch with a map pack dlc?

How do the exclusive weapons work? If someone drops them, can I at least still pick them up if I don't have the DLC? I doubt they'd include some gamebreaking weapon as an exlusive anyway.

When are they going to add in custom hats :p?

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I am actually more disappointed with the game its self, if you search up Youtube and look at the footage of people playing it on the test booths you might see what I mean. On the grand scale of things, I personally don't like the maps that are close quarters like the metro/subway map. This to me is not in line with its predecessor Battlefield 2.

They have yet to showcase any extremely large maps like in battlefield 2, except for the tank footage, which I might add was pretty bland and boring. I don't see how traversing that barren land on foot could be any fun. The idea that extra content also comes in the form of maps screams out at me. So a lot of people are going to be kicked out of servers when the extra content maps kick on rotation. Due to that issue alone, I see the extra maps being played on separate servers alone until they are released as a DLC. Regarding the weapons, I think these should be cosmetic and not have any actual influence over game play but EA thinks otherwise.

You see an offscreen video of a single demoed map and you are "disappointed with the game" because it shows a lot of indoor fighting. Pretty dramatic aren't we. DICE stated that the new engine flexibility allows for vast open door battles as well as indoor close quarter battles, which in my opinion is a welcomed change that allows for a more dynamic battlefield when you have to shift your strategies.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
You see an offscreen video of a single demoed map and you are "disappointed with the game" because it shows a lot of indoor fighting. Pretty dramatic aren't we. DICE stated that the new engine flexibility allows for vast open door battles as well as indoor close quarter battles, which in my opinion is a welcomed change that allows for a more dynamic battlefield when you have to shift your strategies.
I see an off screen video of a particular map that will be released with the game, and yes it is a disappointment to me. When did the battlefield games ever include indoor close quarters map? Even the bad company series didn't do that. And yes this may be 1 out of the many maps, but it really shows the direction the game has taken as a whole, and if you question my opinion about the game based on the facts that I have shown, then you must not have been a Battlefield player since 1942. It seems like that map in particular is trying to win over some COD fans.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I see an off screen video of a particular map that will be released with the game, and yes it is a disappointment to me. When did the battlefield games ever include indoor close quarters map? Even the bad company series didn't do that. And yes this may be 1 out of the many maps, but it really shows the direction the game has taken as a whole, and if you question my opinion about the game based on the facts that I have shown, then you must not have been a Battlefield player since 1942. It seems like that map in particular is trying to win over some COD fans.

All I see is a whiney little nancy-pants.

DICE: We've designed our new engine to be able to handle interiors as well our vast exterior environments so that we can offer a more immersible and realistic battlefield.

YOU: Whaaahhhhh, I just want all outdoor maps because I played BF1942, and I like that game.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

I am one of the most vicious critics of DICE that there can be and I for whatever reason, I am not concerned about the demo map being small. DICE and EA can't possibly be dumb enough not to have large maps.

However. As to the issue of people getting kicked because they don't have the maps due to not preordering that is a very valid concern. And it's only going to get worse if the DLC down the road is additional map packs because..clans/people will not be able to simply add new maps to the rotation, they will have rent additional servers to run "24/7 (Insert DLC name here) Maps".

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I am one of the most vicious critics of DICE that there can be and I for whatever reason, I am not concerned about the demo map being small. DICE and EA can't possibly be dumb enough not to have large maps.

However. As to the issue of people getting kicked because they don't have the maps due to not preordering that is a very valid concern. And it's only going to get worse if the DLC down the road is additional map packs because..clans/people will not be able to simply add new maps to the rotation, they will have rent additional servers to run "24/7 (Insert DLC name here) Maps".

Yeah, that's definitely a valid concern. I hope that between now and the time of the release of the game, EA will see how the community's mood will be like and change their policies. Everything on the PC version of BC2 ended up being free, so maybe...just maybe...

The silver lining is that there are servers that do 24/7 of a certain maps without rotation. I actually enjoy playing on those servers. Just play until you get bored and then you can move on to another server.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
the map dlc which is free to preorder and buy afterwards is cool with me, even though i don't like it 100%

EXCLUSIVE dlcs that you can only get by preordering at specific places? don't like it one bit

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
All I see is a whiney little nancy-pants.

DICE: We've designed our new engine to be able to handle interiors as well our vast exterior environments so that we can offer a more immersible and realistic battlefield.

YOU: Whaaahhhhh, I just want all outdoor maps because I played BF1942, and I like that game.

People can have different opinions. You don't have to act like a child when theirs is different.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
People can have different opinions. You don't have to act like a child when theirs is different.

Absolutely, everyone have opinions. His opinion reminds me of my 4 year old's opinion on not getting the happy meal toy she wanted.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
I really don't care and I'm not going to participate in any retarded boycott. I plan to pre-order the game and it's going to be awesome.