Anyone else underwhelmed with their 4870 crossfire?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
Originally posted by: HOOfan 1

If you want someone to agree with you that you wasted another $200 then try posting several game benchmarks.

I don't need anyone to agree with me. I asked what I was missing and got several valid answers and several knee jerk reactions from people that read the words 3dsmark06 and had to throw in their $.02

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: sgrinavi
Last time I checked benchmarking was a valid method of comparing two sets of hardware. Pehaps, as pointed out above, I am CPU limited and this is not a valid way to test, but it has served me well up untill now.

No, not really, if that benchmark is 3dMark. 3Dmark scores don't always translate into gaming performance.

If I remember right the 2900XT scored higher in 3Dmark than the 8800GTX, yet the 8800GTX would wipe the floor with the 2900XT in games. So no 3dMark benchmarking only is not really a valid method for comparing hardware.

No more than comparing the dynomometer results of a 600HP Mercedes AMG to a 480HP Porsche Turbo and thinking that determines who has better on track performance.

I was comparing two sets of video cards from the same generation and same manufacturer using the same processor at that same speed. Are you telling me that it is not a valid comparison?

Yes .. it is not a valid comparison
- you have an artificial *speed limit* on 4870 [and 4850] imposed by your low resolution and lack of filtering

run the tests again at 19x12 and maxed out filtering. Try to force 8x MSAA; maybe with 'edge detect' in the CCC CP at the highest resolution your version of 3DMark06 supports

then you can have a more valid comparison and can tell if your upgrade is under- or over-whelming
- if you are gaming at 12x10, the 4870x2 is a waste :p

and play and bench some games. Crysis will tell you the raw performance improvement of 4870 over the 4850 series. But both setups are fast.

Vantage should show the difference at the higher resolutions even better than the old '06 version .. but now they charge you to run it more than once

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007

If you want someone to agree with you that you wasted another $200 then try posting several game benchmarks.

I don't need anyone to agree with me. I asked what I was missing and got several valid answers and several knee jerk reactions from people that read the words 3dsmark06 and had to throw in their $.02

Oh sorry, I forgot to read the caveat in your post that said you only want people you agree with to reply.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
"Anyone else underwhelmed with their 4870 crossfire?
Topic Summary: Performance over 4850 CF does not justify the cost"

Need to edit the title to say 3dmark so people have a clue that you are disappointed by a synthetic benchmark rather than REAL experience. Just a thought.....

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007

Oh sorry, I forgot to read the caveat in your post that said you only want people you agree with to reply.

What part of this are you having trouble with, is English your first language? I wanted to know what I was missing... or did you not read the question?

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Gonna have to go with everyone here... Do you know 3dmark Vantage is already out? Why do you think so? Because this is 2008 and 3dmark06 is completely outdated

Of course you wont notice any difference, thats like testing GTX280 vs Geforce 3 at Quake 2 and saying they are equal

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Why are you having trouble understanding that the consensus here is THE PART THAT YOU ARE MISSING is that your entire premise for comparing the cards is FLAWED. Lets see at least 8 or 9 posters have told you to try playing some games to see if you see more improvements, yet you continue to ignore that and defend your choice to use 3dmark06 as a means for comparison.

This thread is going nowhere because you just don't want to listen to logic.

Maybe if you go and play some games and then come back and say that you see no difference people will let up criticizing your use of 3dmark06 as a comparison, but instead you are choosing to be obstinate.

This was your thread asking for advice and you don't like the advice you are given. So it is pointless for the rest of us to persist in repeating the advice and our reasons for giving the advice and thus I will no longer argue with you.

Edit: In attempt to leave the thread on a more amicable note, I link you to this review

Legit Reviews 4870CF and 4850CF results

3dMark06 results

4870CF 17956
4850CF 17708

similar to your results of a 227 point increase they found a 248 point increase or 1.4% increase

Gaming benchmarks

Bioshock 1280x1024

4870CF 92.2 FPS
4850CF 76.4 FPS
20% increase

Bioshock 1920x1200

4870CF 57.7 FPS
4850CF 47.2 FPS
21% increase

COD4 1280x1024

4870CF 179.9 FPS
4850CF 129.6 FPS
39% increase

COD4 1920x1200

4870CF 121.9 FPS (nearly as fast as 4850CF at 1280x1024)
4850CF 88.1 FPS
38% increase

of course there are some games in there that also don't scale well with crossfire anyway.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Why are you having trouble understanding that the consensus here is THE PART THAT YOU ARE MISSING is that your entire premise for comparing the cards is FLAWED. Lets see at least 8 or 9 posters have told you to try playing some games to see if you see more improvements, yet you continue to ignore that and defend your choice to use 3dmark06 as a means for comparison.

This thread is going nowhere because you just don't want to listen to logic.

Maybe if you go and play some games and then come back and say that you see no difference people will let up criticizing your use of 3dmark06 as a comparison, but instead you are choosing to be obstinate.

This was your thread asking for advice and you don't like the advice you are given. So it is pointless for the rest of us to persist in repeating the advice and our reasons for giving the advice and thus I will no longer argue with you.

Its Akshayt all over again :Q

"1900XTX SUCKS!!"

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

What part of this are you having trouble with, is English your first language?
There's really no need for this sort of thing.

Did you notice that in the original post I asked if I was missing something here.....
You ARE missing something, the fact that your 3DMark test is flawed and meaningless, yet when people point this out you get all offended.

Seriously, what were you hoping to achieve here? That everyone agreed with you or something? Because that?s not going to happen in this case.

Look at HOOfan 1?s post; it clearly demonstrates why 3DMark is hopeless because real-world games are showing very different results.

If you really cared about gaming with your upgrade you?d be testing/playing games right now instead of worrying about useless synthetic benchmarks.

AiponGkooja

Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
This is like playing commander keen in 320*240, with tri-sli GTX280's, and then asking why am I only getting 10 million fps and not 100 million -_-

Ok, so it's not exactly the same, but it's a pretty weird question nonetheless :p

:-D